Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

What's the tax-free limit on packages into the USA?

Can someone tell me at what point customs/tax/duty is payable on packages received by Americans? I figured someone here might know because I imagine some of you must've ordered photo stuff from elsewhere.

For example, in Canada, "officially" you are allowed up to $60 on packages marked "gift" before they charge tax, while for merchandise I believe it's $20.
However, as the local postal clerk has explained, in practice the application of these "rules" (more like guidelines??) is quite arbitrary.

So what are the U.S. equivalents, & is there a different value if it's "returned merchandise" rather than original merchandise or a gift?
I phoned 1-800-ASK-USPS & the woman said they do not know!!
Thanks...

03-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never paid any fee or duty of any kind receiving items from Canada - I just assumed there was no such fee for incoming to the US.
03-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought something from Canada. I don't believe that I paid any duty on it.
03-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It all depends on what the items are and who the shipper is, sorry. There is a HUGE list of items and the rates vary widely. For example, watches are assessed duty based on the case material (stainless steel vs gold, etc.) + the strap material + the number of jewels in the movement. I have never had a watch assessed duty that arrived via the USPS but have ALWAYS had duty assessed when it came via carriers like FedEx or UPS PLUS they have always assessed incredibly bloated handling charges. My advice, go with the post office if you are worried about duty to the US.

03-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mark prominently on it somewhere something like "Goods returned to manufacturer for repair" and make sure the Returns number is very prominent and on several sides of the parcel and make sure the Returns number is spelt out as "Returned Goods Number: nnnnnnn".

I presume that this is the drive that you are returning as mentioned in your other thread.
03-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Mark prominently on it somewhere something like "Goods returned to manufacturer for repair" and make sure the Returns number is very prominent and on several sides of the parcel and make sure the Returns number is spelt out as "Returned Goods Number: nnnnnnn".

I presume that this is the drive that you are returning as mentioned in your other thread.
You are supposed to have a declaration statement attached to the package that spells out things like value, country of origin, etc. That is the place to put statements about returned goods for repair. I'd also strongly urge that you contact the recipient and make sure they put something similar on the declaration form for it to come back to you or you'll have to pay Canadian duty.