Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got the blahs

Well, another nice day, going to be around 75 degrees and what am I doing? I'm just sitting here.

I should be out taking pictures. Since I don't have a job right now I've got all the time in the world to take pictures but I can't seem to get motavited enough to go.

When you feel like that, what do you do to get rid of the blahs?

03-14-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I get that way, I tend to think way to much on where to go. I just get in the car and pick a place, new or old. I like to just go and walk around. A lot of times I get inspired by what is around me.
03-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
I just take a couple shots of "Liquid Blah Relief"...

03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Buy more lenses!

Works like a charm

03-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #5
Banned

Well, another nice day, going to be around 75 degrees and what am I doing? I'm just sitting here.

I should be out taking pictures. Since I don't have a job right now I've got all the time in the world to take pictures but I can't seem to get motavited enough to go.

I go out and take photos.

in all seriousness though, thats exactly what you should do. or really, anything that will stimulate your mind. does your city have anything going on at the moment? fairs, shows, community get together's of some kind? this is what I love about my city, there is always something to do. you really just need to get out. even if you don't feel like it now, actually doing so will change how you feel. its like excersizing. before you do it, especially if you haven't for a long while, you feel lazy and lethargic. pretty much the exact opposite of how you'd want to feel to get moving. but once you do, you find you have more energy and feel better. well, get up, go out and give yourself the energy you need to not feel this way.
03-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
I go out and take photos.

in all seriousness though, thats exactly what you should do. or really, anything that will stimulate your mind. does your city have anything going on at the moment? fairs, shows, community get together's of some kind? this is what I love about my city, there is always something to do. you really just need to get out. even if you don't feel like it now, actually doing so will change how you feel. its like excersizing. before you do it, especially if you haven't for a long while, you feel lazy and lethargic. pretty much the exact opposite of how you'd want to feel to get moving. but once you do, you find you have more energy and feel better. well, get up, go out and give yourself the energy you need to not feel this way.
If your long-lost college roommate called and said, "I'm in town for a convention, have the afternoon off and I thought I'd try to find you. Show me something in Indiana." where would you take him?
03-14-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
If your long-lost college roommate called and said, "I'm in town for a convention, have the afternoon off and I thought I'd try to find you. Show me something in Indiana." where would you take him?
Cows.. and potatos.. oh wait, that's Idaho

03-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
point made, but I was only trying to offer suggestions. by the way, that would never happen as I'm an art school dropout.
he can come live in Savannah. I guarantee that will take away the blahs'. you are all welcome here. just don't try to say y'all and tell me you ate cheesy grits for breakfast.
03-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, I wouldn't be spending whilst out of work, I'd be looking for opportunities to get back on track or do something that's free (take photos ). You'll thank yourself later.

Make a list of things you ought to do, both needs and wants, and try to stick to the program, but allow for some spontaneity. Or if you're that way inclined, meet people you know, or even don't know... Lots of possibilities there...
03-14-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Its hard to get out, but I suggest you force yourself to smile and go somewhere. Put yourself in a place where you will have no other option but to take photos. Helps if you have some wilderness or nice nature nearby.
03-14-2012, 12:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Cows.. and potatos.. oh wait, that's Idaho
Indiana is a very interesting and cool state. Lots to see, lots of places to go, varied natural resources. Some of the most productive farmland on earth. Most of the country's building limestone is quarried there. Lake Michigan industrial area is phenomenally productive. Caves, Dunes, religious libertarians who built communties ----

Hey Dave, I hear New Harmony is going through some changes. Maybe you should drive down there and document what's left before it is gone!!
03-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I don't really know...it's tough to shake depression, very tough at times, but most all of us suffer from time to time. I have severe winter depression, have all my life....but this year was easy since we missed the winter pretty much.

It helps if I do something for someone else...like visit a friend that is in Nursing home. Makes me more appreciative of my ability to do things he can't.
It never hurts to catch a really decent shot either, that is usually good for lifting my spirit for a t least a day!

It could be worse......
Mr friend Charlie
[IMG] [/IMG]

Best Regards!
03-14-2012, 02:34 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for all the replys and suggestions.

@ joe.penn, do that already every now and then.

@ johnbee, Actually, I did buy a new to me lens. Got a 35-80 which gives me a small light weight zoom just to carry around.

@ semauis, I would love to come to Savannah. Lots of history and old buildings. I would have a hard time deciding between taking pictures or using a metal detector.

@ jindesu, it's corn and soybeans here.

@ Ash, your right. I try not to spend very much money, but sometimes you need to.

@ Na Horuk. I do have a couple of nature area's close but nothing has started to bud out and turn green yet.

@ monochrome, To me, Indiana, or the area I live in, is not very interesting. I am in east central which is, for the most part, flat. To find the cool area's, I would need to travel any where from 1 hour to 4 hours. I guess I am kind of jaded. I grew up in the foothills of the Rocky mountains.

This is why I am in a catch 22. The place I live in is a small farming town and to really see anything you have to travel somewhere, but to drive takes gas and at $3.85 a gal with no income makes it had to go places.
03-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks Rupert, I remember you talking about Charlie in the "Are you happy" thread.

I'm not going to say it is full blown depression but it's not just the winter blues either.

There is, for me, very little insperation right now. I know I need to get off my butt and do some stuff. I have an idea for a picture but for me to do it, it would take getting permission to get acess to where I need to go plus the more I think about it, the more I think a fisheye lens would work better. And I don't have one of those yet.
03-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Banned

the more I think
my dad always said "less thinking and more doing." hell that was practically his motto. use what you have instead of worrying about what you might be able to do with things you don't have.

also, maybe you could, instead of worrying about gas, save up for a plane ticket. yes I'm pandering Savannah, but truth be told its beautiful this time of year, and in the downtown area you dint need a car. all you need is your feet. my point is, that if you aren't actively looking for work, and you aren't inspired by your current surroundings, even at a cost, a change of scenery could be just the ticket to get you motivated. just a thought. who knows, it could even lead you to new work. thats pretty much become my personal motto. "wandering keeps the heart happy." I make it a plan to take a trip every year. to get away. to discover. its actually become the main focus of my personal photography. documenting people and culture.