Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Indeed, it would be interesting to hear his take on current US politics eh?
HAHAH Given his take on the much more moderate US politics of the 60's and 70's I can pretty much guess how he would react now. I think he would be appalled by our current Government and the general state of Canadian Politics (I never voted for him usually voting further left than he was, but I could always respect him. for that matter I always respected Rene Levesque

03-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I only read on the train these days, loud obnoxious oafs abound, so I've actually taken to books on tape. I picked up God is Not Great by Hitchens(and narrated by) and now I'm listening to Game of Thrones narrated by Roy Dotrice. I think he has a talent for book narration which has made it easy to follow for someone, like me, who is a visual learner.

Last edited by kenafein; 03-28-2012 at 03:33 PM.
03-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
I only read on the train these days, loud obnoxious oafs abound, .
I read a lot on the subway, but i have always been good at blocking out the outside world when reading (and I frequently miss my station because of it , not to mention my wife getting annoyed when she's trying to get my attention - I think it goes back to living in a dorm in school where you needed to be able to block people out sometimes)
03-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The Passionate Photographer by Steve Simon. Thanks for the recomendation Mystic Cowboy!

03-28-2012, 11:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm actually reading several which is perfectly normal for me. I like to switch off and now that I have the tablet and 4 different e-book readers on the thing I can have 4 books loaded at one time if I want. So I do. Let me see. In the past week or so what's on the bedside table, computer and/or tablet...

Bible John's Secret Daughter, The Essential Lotus Sutra, The Horrors of Andersonville, Redwood Bend, Return of the Black Death, The Faiths of Oscar Wilde, Wolves and Wolf Myths in American Lit, Witch Hunts in the Western World, The Laughing Jesus, Sybil Exposed (again), Savor a book on mindful eating, The Monster's Corner a SS anthology, The Search and Public Secrets by Nora Roberts, and I'm still working my way through some of Heather Graham's thrillers. I just read her Flynn Bros Trilogy this evening actually. Also a book on yogilates an exercise system I am thinking of trying out.

Surprisingly I've been off the photography books the past couple of weeks. I'm reading a lot of history, some paranormal/comparative religions stuff, some fiction. I change out the whole crew about once every 7-10 days. I read fast. I read a lot. 40-50 books a week is not usual for me. Sometimes I even do more. I don't watch a lot of TV. Most nights I read. It depends upon what I am reading. I can kill a 300 page thriller or a romance novel in a little over an hour but the history stuff can take me a lot longer, shrug.

Last edited by magkelly; 03-28-2012 at 11:57 PM.
03-29-2012, 03:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

eBooks: I've moved on to yet more Larry Niven, and I'm still (forever!) on the Focal Encyclopedia.

Paper: I've moved from seismicity to SURREALISM & ITS POPULAR ACCOMPLICES, ed. F.Rosemont.

Oh yeah, I'm reading local history booklets too, especially during lethargic network response lags.

The bizarre Bisbee Library-Post Office includes a tiny used book shop. We feed there occasionally.

JA Jance was just here to push her new local book but I missed the (overpriced) talk+signing fest.

We will go to town (Sierra Vista) soon. We will wander Hastings bookstore. What might we find?
Libraries are humanity's memory.
08-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Asahi Pentax AP & Honeywell Lens Catalogue

Hi Seamuis,

I see that you have removed the listing for the camera. Have you sent it as it is not in the sold listing?

Regards.

08-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #38
Veteran Member

currently:

Haruki Murakami 1Q84
Focal guide to lens' (a print from I think the early 70s)
08-11-2012, 04:12 PM   #39
Veteran Member

"Johnny Got His Gun" by Dalton Trumbo, and this 1939 anti war classic is without any doubt the most disturbing book I've ever read, and I'm not at all squeamish about what I read or the subject matter. I enjoyed "American Psycho", I love everything Chuck Palahniuk has ever written, The graphic and weird doesn't bother me, but I've stopped reading this book directly before going to bed. It's a powerful book, worth the effort.
08-11-2012, 06:33 PM   #40
Veteran Member

I'm ready The Unholy by Heather Graham. It's one of her Krewe of Hunters novels and I'm also wading through the books of Judith Krantz and Harold Robbins which I've finally gotten in ebook format. Nothing that taxes the brain. After a whole year of reading tech books almost every night I just got tired of reading things that educate me and wanted to read some classic steamy junk novels. Krantz and Robbins always amused the heck out of me when I first read them as a teen. When I was teenager books like Lace and Lace II, Goodbye Janette, Princess Daisy et all they were passed around amongst my gang of outcast friends with all the really tawdry bits highlighted. XXX books, our Mom's bodice rippers, and any trashy horror novels with particularly bad sex scenes in them.

Gym was an hour and a half back then and we all freakin hated gym with a passion but they had this rule that they couldn't flunk you had to give you a "C" if you just got dressed for it, a "B" if you at least walked two laps. We'd do that then go and hide under the bleachers afterwards, swap naughty books and giggle over the smut. I suppose it sounds silly now but back then we thought it was fun and it wasn't like we were going to get picked for playing softball and that anyway. We all got tired of being forced into it, having the teacher put us on a team whether they liked it or not. Chose to take the "B" rather than participate any further. Actually Krantz, Robbins and the bodice rippers were pretty tame compared to some of the stuff we used to manage to share. Several of us had older brothers or fathers who liked really smutty stuff and we'd steal that stuff, read it aloud, and laugh ourselves silly over it.

Teacher finally caught us at it but fortunately for us she was a lesbian, much cooler than we ever gave her credit for being back then, and apparently what we were doing just amused her to no end. She pulled one of my friends aside and told her we should not to bring the XXX stuff to school unless we wanted to get busted and expelled, but she didn't say a word about rest of it so we just kept on bringing Harold Robbins, Judith Krantz and the like, kept the really bad stuff for hanging out after school. I really miss that crew sometimes. We were such a bunch of misfits and that's about the only time in my childhood that I ever really had a bunch of cool friends, other "freak" kids who were willing to watch my back and help me evade the bullies. About three years into high school they opened two new high schools and 3/4 of the other kids got sent away from the one we were at. I was practically the only one left. Things just went totally downhill from that point on to the point where I finally left and went to adult high school rather than deal with it all.

But these books, they're a good memory from my time as a kid and since I don't have that many of them once in a while I revisit some of them and think about that time and those people in my life, about all the laughs. The people involved they're all long gone from my life. I don't see them at all now even living back here now. But the books remain and they still make me smile.
08-11-2012, 08:17 PM   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Just picked up "The Hunger Games" for this weekend's flight to Denver... So it was written as a YA book - so what? Harry Potter was too, and I enjoyed those along with millions of other adults...

Jim
I got so obsessed with HG that I bought a bow at a yard sale and started shooting in my backyard, you know--just in case the 2012 thing is true, so I can hunt... I loved books 1& 2, but I had to read the 3rd one again to like it.
08-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #42
Forum Member

Re-reading the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy for about the millionth time.
08-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Asahi Pentax AP & Honeywell Lens Catalogue

Hi seamuis,

Is that my camera that I have paid for and am waiting for in the top left corner of your photograph?

Regards.
08-12-2012, 05:55 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
how can you manage to keep up with so many books at once?
It's my genius thing, shrug.
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM   #45
Veteran Member

The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell.
I didn't think I'd enjoy it since history isn't my favorite thing to read about plus it is required reading for my literature and composition class, but its not that bad...
Closed Thread