Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 09:54 AM   #1
Banned

Propranolol found to reduce racist attitudes !

QuoteQuote:
Although racism is widely believed to be a learned behavior, findings from an Oxford University team suggest that taking a heart disease medication may also help mute subconscious racist attitudes in individuals. Researchers gave the drug propranolol to 18 subjects, and placebos to a control group of the same size. Those that received the drug scored markedly lower on a standard test that measures subconscious racial bias. Does this mean we could one day see a pill to counter racist tendencies?

Propranolol was developed in the 1960s and was the first successful beta blocker developed. It is used to treat hypertension, anxiety and panic, with performers often using it to prevent stage fright. It is also being investigated as a potential treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder. The drug inhibits the amygdala, which is a region of the brain involved in processing emotion, including fear.
Heart disease drug found to reduce racist attitudes

03-16-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

I suspect that the drug generally raises the level of "I don't give a sh!t".
03-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #3
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A cure for the Tea Party disease?
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
A cure for the Tea Party disease?
No, that would be arsenic.

03-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
No, that would be arsenic.
Even bringing them up to a grade 3 education level would help.
03-16-2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*whispering.* 'Miranda....'

Actually, I think I can see how they correlate there: anxiety responses often connect to territorial/in-group-out-group instincts/learnings, however people may be taught to reckon that. People who respond to any anxiety with aggression, especially in that way, will associate the various cues and learnings differently: it's probably not really curing racism so much as reducing those responses, which in racists or other kids of bigots, are bigoted.

Trust someone who knows PTSD all too well from the inside: there's a lot of potential triggers in how we see each other, and such things can reinforce themselves all too well... Just cause they aren't in a racist context (And surely don't have to be) doesn't mean that stress and trauma don't try to attach to *something.* In terms of what goes on with what this drug describes doing, it's not so much acting on what the triggers *are,* but how much people are triggered. In a sense, those sorts of triggers aren't about what they're made to be about, (except inasmuch as they *are* over time made to be about that: there's just no way I'm going to be comfortable surrounded by people doing and saying certain Christian things, for instance, especially since there are a lot of people still aggressively doing that, but even if I go to the local UU, I have to be able to absorb a certain amount of those stimuli.) For a lot of people, there are racist stresses just from how we're brought up: getting assaulted by a black guy sure didn't help my sense of 'color-blindness,' but upon looking deeper, it's like, 'No, actually, I'm freaked out by that particular take on that particular style and manner,' (Actually I know very precisely what it is, pardon if I don't go to specifics of how to freak me out,) ....but I was also pretty aware of how some around had always taught that any given stress or trauma had to be about race. (Badly-done in my case, I suppose: I've sometimes lived in places where I know I'm more threatened by *white* people I don't know. ) But it was pretty easy to see what that conditioning was supposed to do. Just like when they demonize LGBT people, it's meant to tie into recurring stresses about straight men, in particular, dominance-joking about raping each other in showers, etc. ...then you have ideologues claiming, 'This is a natural instinct to hate anyone we say are what we say are...'homosexuals!'' (Notice how they speak of us like 'forgeigners?' Same as they do for Americans of other religions or even political impulses)

Indoctrination plays a part in how people respond to things like bigoted ideologies: what those ideologies do, is attempt to *target* those kinds of stress responses in particular directions, (And not incidentally, try to create as many triggerable people as possible. ) That's why 'othering' of people and groups is both so dangerous and powerful in the immediate term, yet also can vanish so quickly in the face of real life.

That's also why some ideologues double down on trying to induce those stresses and try to demand that merely living where we can speak openly with each other is some horrible 'threat.'

There isn't a neurochemical for 'racism' per se, but what there *are* are stress-responses and associations. We can't really yank or drug away our own amygdalae, but we can choose what we choose, over very short timescales, choose to let trigger them.
03-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, I think it is a learned attitude, but you won't be as aggressively racist if you feel healthy as you would be if you are in distress and are looking for someone to blame.
However, this whole article might be a troll joke, I mean, even the drug name ends in "LOL"...

03-17-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yeah, I think it is a learned attitude, but you won't be as aggressively racist if you feel healthy as you would be if you are in distress and are looking for someone to blame.
However, this whole article might be a troll joke, I mean, even the drug name ends in "LOL"...
Study Finds Heart Disease Drug Combats Racism
Does Propranolol Reduce Racism? Probably Yes, Subconsciously
Propranolol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
03-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It would seem to make sense that a medication that in essence has a relaxing effect would reduce an aggressive (fearful?) attitude.