Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want to help drought stricken countries ... use NASA !

I apparently did not have much to do, so I watched a little TV: a short documentary about NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.

Wow ! I thought - - if they could find water on Mars, why don't they use that very same etchnology and find the elusive liquid right here on Earth, for crying out loud!

So, I did a little searching on the web:

This came up first:
Built for Mars, NASA Radar Could Find Water Hidden Beneath Earth's Deserts - Popular Mechanics

Then, I wondered how much this would cost:
Mars Exploration Rover - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do believe that space exploration has helped tremendously with the development of new technologies presently used now here on our very special Earth.

Can we know move on and help those countries, with that technology, where water is so scarce that it has become a "commodity" ?

Maybe I had too much maple sweets over the past weekend anyway, ... food for thought!

JP

03-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

You cant sell if you help :-(
03-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Can we know move on and help those countries, with that technology, where water is so scarce that it has become a "commodity" ?
Water is already a commodity - even in areas where it is abundantly available. Go to any gas station in the US and price 4 16oz bottles of water and compare it to a gallon of gas. There's not too much difference!

I'm betting Canada is much the same.
03-21-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Water is already a commodity - even in areas where it is abundantly available. Go to any gas station in the US and price 4 16oz bottles of water and compare it to a gallon of gas. There's not too much difference!

I'm betting Canada is much the same.
Right on !

In Canada: same thing ... a 500 ml bottled water costs close to 2 bucks at some places !! Talk about expensive.
I'll have to start drinking gasoline pretty soon

JP