Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 10:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I think it would probably go down something like this...
Such lousy situational awareness in a combat theatre gets one killed.

Another of my Guatemala lessons: If sitting at an open-air establishment like a sidewalk cafe, keep your back to a wall. If you have a bag, wrap its strap around a chair or post so it can't just be grabbed. Keep the camera on a strap around your neck, or the strap wrapped around an arm or said chair or post. Anything you don't have tied down can and will go away. Just like in a crowd -- anything in your pockets can and will be taken.

03-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
That's because you don't live in Texas, where possessions are sacred and life is worthless.
You're right, the guy that tries to steal this cowboy's hat will have a pretty worthless carcass, and it won't take Probation and Community Service to correct his thievery.
Note he doesn't even have a strap on his hat....doesn't need it!

Name:  cowhand.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  497.8 KB
03-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Site Supporter

This is how fast it happens, dont hang your camera off your shoulder!:

Heres what happens if you think you can hangon to your camera bag, actually looks like she might still have the bag! at what cost..:
03-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #34
Veteran Member

not common in most parts of the world but i knew it happened
the video's pretty much show if it happens not much chance of you keeping hold

Flip side is if it's hanging loosely off your shoulder you are a target, if the strap crosses your body and doesn't hang loose you are too difficult a target and someone else will get hit

03-20-2012, 11:36 AM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
not common in most parts of the world but i knew it happened
the video's pretty much show if it happens not much chance of you keeping hold

Flip side is if it's hanging loosely off your shoulder you are a target, if the strap crosses your body and doesn't hang loose you are too difficult a target and someone else will get hit
Actually it is pretty common in most parts of the world, just not ours

Less poverty here, I think our roads are too fast, and not many scooters/small bikes, try doing this with a harley or sportbike at 120km/h hehe

But yeah end of the day, keep your guard up and you wont be a target.

I have been pick pocketed twice. BOTH times involved me storing something in a non-zippered pocket, so easy to steal from, always use zippered pockets/money belts. The last time was in Asia after travelling for 1.5 years with no issues, got lazy, let the guard down for about 1hr, wallet gone

Last edited by Deimos; 03-20-2012 at 11:43 AM.
03-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #36
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
I have been pick pocketed twice. BOTH times involved me storing something in a non-zippered pocket, so easy to steal from, always use zippered pockets/money belts.
or simply keep your hand in your pocket, holding your wallet, phone etc. they can't steal whats in your hand. my ex-fiancée learned this through personal experience. zippers are easier to open than you may think. I carry my wallet and my phone inside a single case. to some this may be foolish, but when I go through a crowded area where pickpockets are likely, I have my hand on everything in one pocket. and my other hand on my camera, which is slung across my chest. I usually carry a leather satchel that is also slung across my chest. it doesn't have zipped on the outside, but old fashioned buckles. pretty much impossible to open quickly, and I keep the zippers on the innermost compartment locked together when traveling on foot. they would have to steal my whole bag to actually get anything from it easily.
03-20-2012, 11:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Actually it is pretty common in most parts of the world, just not ours

I think our roads are too fast, and not many scooters/small bikes, try doing this with a harley or sportbike at 120km/h hehe

But yeah end of the day, keep your guard up and you wont be a target.

I have been pick pocketed twice. BOTH times involved me storing something in a non-zippered pocket, so easy to steal from, always use zippered pockets/money belts.
Funnily enough the only place i've been pick pocketed is right here in Toronto. 16 days in the pickpocket capital of the world (Barcelona) and not even an attempt. I did watch them sizing up targets etc. they are pretty obvious once you look for them. People blindly walk around though being dazzled by the surroundings with a big fat wallet hanging in a loose back pocket. heck some of them looked like i could have picked their pocket
I tend to be aware of my surroundings when i travel. I can see the scooter thing happening in big European cities, they fly through the city

No way you are doing it on a harley, if you are going slow enough to try someone could conceivably unbalance the big bike, they aren't the most maneuverable things

I have a twofold approach. My camera bag is actually a converted canvas messenger bag so discreet (and cheap as chips) and i don't have my wallet / cash in my back pocket, it's either in my front pocket (and i wear my jeans fairly tight)or in a zippered pocket in a jacket if i'm wearing one. I also leave important docs and most cash back at my apartment when traveling taking what i need for the day

03-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #38
Site Supporter

Like you say eddie, most travellers walk around gawking at the surroundings those are the ones that get preyed on. Not just for pickpocketing either but touts/cons too. Its hard to avoid doing it when you arrive in a nice new place though

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
or simply keep your hand in your pocket, holding your wallet, phone etc. they can't steal whats in your hand. my ex-fiancée learned this through personal experience. zippers are easier to open than you may think. I carry my wallet and my phone inside a single case. to some this may be foolish, but when I go through a crowded area where pickpockets are likely, I have my hand on everything in one pocket. and my other hand on my camera, which is slung across my chest. I usually carry a leather satchel that is also slung across my chest. it doesn't have zipped on the outside, but old fashioned buckles. pretty much impossible to open quickly, and I keep the zippers on the innermost compartment locked together when traveling on foot. they would have to steal my whole bag to actually get anything from it easily.
Yeah I do this all the time even when not travelling. That said for a pickpocket a zipper is a hard thing to open quickly without someone noticing (at least on a pair of shorts/jeans), buckles are good but watch out for small hands. Many pickpockets are cute 8 year olds and it can be easy to slip a tiny hand through the side. (kids were the pickpockets for me both times...)

Moneybelts are the real answer when you are travelling though, keep some small bills/change in your pockets. Pacsafe gear is fantastic, especially their theft-proof bags that you can use as a safe in your room or on a train. (you need a serious knife and wire cutters to get through them)

The other thing to watch for is anytime someone bumps into you or spills something on you. By the time you realize it is usually too late but that is the other way they get you.

When I got pickpocketed the first time it was during the Indian celebration of Holi, where ppl throw coloured water/powder on everyone else. I had just taken a photo of two kids (and knew better than to bring my camera, just a P&S, out into the mayhem) stuffed the camera in my non-zippered snap-button pocket and joined the celebrating crowd, we turned a corner and one kid ran up and dumped water on my head while another threw some in my face (all part of Holi) but by the time I wiped my eyes the camera was gone, likely stolen by the very kids I took a photo of....this was many trips ago but needless to say lessons learned
03-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #39
Banned

When I got pickpocketed the first time it was during the Indian celebration of Holi, where ppl throw coloured water/powder on everyone else. I had just taken a photo of two kids (and knew better than to bring my camera, just a P&S, out into the mayhem) stuffed the camera in my non-zippered snap-button pocket and joined the celebrating crowd, we turned a corner and one kid ran up and dumped water on my head while another threw some in my face (all part of Holi) but by the time I wiped my eyes the camera was gone, likely stolen by the very kids I took a photo of....this was many trips ago but needless to say lessons learned
this is, from what I have heard from fist hand accounts, very common during Holi. particularly from young boys. so much so, that it is often seen in Hindi language films. something to remember for sure, when I start planning my journey across India in a few years.
03-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #40
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Note to those who make their living preying on others: Attempting to turn this grouchy old man into a victim of your trade is NOT a career advancing move.
03-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Note to those who make their living preying on others: Attempting to turn this grouchy old man into a victim of your trade is NOT a career advancing move.
Im sure they are all reading this thread
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #42
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Im sure they are all reading this thread
Of course they are. Why wouldn't they be?

03-20-2012, 05:22 PM   #43
Veteran Member

It's insured, isn't it ?
03-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Of course they are. Why wouldn't they be?

Maybe because we already shot most of them around here?
03-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #45
Inactive Account

Say, "Hey, its just a pentax. I saw a guy with a nice canon down the street."
Closed Thread