Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Snatch and Grab of dslr by motorbike...how would you react in a situation?

The scenario is if you are taken by surprise.

Any experts here can comment?

eg, supposing they are unable to break the camera strap and it becomes a tug of war, would it be fine to flip out my knife and stab/slash?

03-20-2012, 04:30 AM   #2

No it would not
03-20-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

If you pull hard enough and the strap doesn't break, surely the other person will fall off the motorbike unless of course you get dragged by the motorbike instead.
03-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #4
Banned

You have a much better chance of winning the lottery than getting your camera stolen by someone on a bike. I guess you spend most of you life in your room if you think that is a big problem.

03-20-2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
The scenario is if you are taken by surprise.

Any experts here can comment?

eg, supposing they are unable to break the camera strap and it becomes a tug of war, would it be fine to flip out my knife and stab/slash?
how could you have a tug of war with someone on a motorbike? either you let go and the thief gets away or he falls off the bike trying to hold on, or you get dragged behind the bike.

if I were in such a situation, in all fairness, I wouldn't let go. he'd have a hard time doing that though as I wear my camera across my body not just over my shoulder, but given the hypothetical, despite what the first responder says, I would in fact pull out my knife in such a situation. if he's willing to risk it all for a camera, you may need the self defense should you actually manage to hang onto the camera and pull him off the bike. in all likeliness though it would happen so fast, that you likely wouldn't have time to respond before its long gone. I've actually seen this happen once in the philippines. the thing to remember in these situations is that these thief's are purely of opportunity. therefore, if its clear to them that trying to steal it won't be so easy, they won't target you. they want someone who clearly isn't paying much attention to their personal belongings.

wear your camera across your body. if you can't, then buy a longer strap. always keep one hand on the camera when not in use, as thats a clear signal that you are always aware of its presence. another little trick my dad taught me is to anchor your camera in a second point. this makes it much, much harder to snatch. like use a leather key fob or something that attaches to your belt, or backpack, etc. and then attach it to the camera. either on one of the strap lugs, or even through a quick connector screwed into the tripod socket. believe me, thief's like this are watching, and all it really takes for them to avoid you is to make it obvious you are aware of the possibility of theft. thats the best safeguard.
03-20-2012, 06:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Ok lets assume you were "taken by surprise", this is what happens: you are there minding your own business, before you realize your camera is ripped off your shoulder and you are left standing there wondering what the eff happend, that is the result 100% of the time. There will be no tug of war because they surprised you and by the time you realize and shock washes over you its long over

They key is to not be in a position to be surprised. If someone tries to do this it will likely be when you are not paying attention.

They will either get the gear and ride off or they will fail and ride off. If you let your guard down and leave a bag on a bench in a tuk-tuk or unsecured basically anywhere there is a risk. Even just having a camera/bag over the shoulder is risky, it should always be across the chest.

I travelled for two years in the third world, where this sort of thing is common, no issues. But then again I had my camera strap wrapped around my arm/body at all times.

These guys arent looking for a fight they want to steal stuff so they target people who arent paying attention

If you are in a foreign country and you "stab and slash" and actually hit a person even the theif, you will likely get the book thrown at you from the authorities, or locals who didnt see the whole situation might beat you to pulp thinking you are attacking one of "theirs". As a foreigner you are almost always in the wrong vs a local.

Stay alert, keep your gear tied to you and you will have no issues. Also buy a pacsafe for safe storage. A knife will only end in trouble unless you are opening a can with it. You pull a knife then they pull a knife or a gun or ten more guys show up? What then? To think you will have the reflexes to cut the strap as it happens you must be superman, no way in hell. Your biggest risk isnt so much this sort of theft but more theft on a train, bus, or from your room. Pacsafe is great for this, but basically never let your guard down, if you do someone will be there to take advantage

Last edited by Deimos; 03-20-2012 at 07:04 AM.
03-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in Texas...to prevent a broken strap, I'd let it go . Then drop to one knee, pull out my 9mm, take careful aim and remove the thief's head at the shoulder line, walk to the scene, pick up my camera and call for Waste Disposal to come pick up the trash. We don't have a lot of those problems here, maybe that's why?

Regards!

03-20-2012, 07:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
We don't have a lot of those problems here, maybe that's why?
Regards!
To say nothing of killer, psychotic, devil squirrels.

sorry, couldn't resist the Otis angle.
03-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
To say nothing of killer, psychotic, devil squirrels.

sorry, couldn't resist the Otis angle.
Where do you think I learned that?
03-20-2012, 07:27 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I live in Texas...to prevent a broken strap, I'd let it go . Then drop to one knee, pull out my 9mm, take careful aim and remove the thief's head at the shoulder line, walk to the scene, pick up my camera and call for Waste Disposal to come pick up the trash. We don't have a lot of those problems here, maybe that's why?

Regards!

I can't imagine i would make myself a killer for a damn camera.
03-20-2012, 07:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

"scream like a little girl" seems appropriate
03-20-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by morpho Quote
I can't imagine i would make myself a killer for a damn camera.
Like he said. Possessions can be replaced, a human life can't. It's never acceptable to kill or maim for the sake of the hassle of filling in an insurance form.
03-20-2012, 08:08 AM   #13

First off, if you are thinking the strap might break, you better make sure it isn't a Pentax strap. If you want the strap to break get a Nikon strap!
03-20-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Regardless of implausibility, plausibility, adding an open knife to a situation like getting yanked off your feet and dragged by a motorbike is really likely just an equation for compounding a bad situation. If someone grabbed one of mine, that way, I think they'd find they have two problems: not being able to accelerate, (think of where a motorcycle's throttle is,) and that hand being the closest thing to *me.* They'd either have to get it away in the first grab or, pretty much let go, anyway. If I wanted to use my knife to help with that, I wouldn't even open it. Just bang on that hand or wrist.

The little thing I carry is good for stuff like that: it's shaped so I can whack or apply pressure better than my strength would allow, mostly, just in case I got grabbed or something.

But it'd probably be over one way or another about instantly. I'm quick, but probably not that strong. If they were going at any speed, one of us would fall. And I'd probably find something broken or dislocated anyway.
03-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Why are you all replying to this silly thread posted by a college kid?
Closed Thread