Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its been said, theorised and used in jokes....cooking an omelette with an ipad

Someone actually did it.

03-21-2012, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, the new iPad runs 16 whole degrees warmer than the iPad 2.

Thermal test of iPad's A5X chip shows operating temperature of 97 degrees F
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Banned

thats not very good for a handheld device. but I don't see that having too much of an impact on people dumping iPads and iPad 2's for this.
03-21-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

https://www.box.com/s/8e886df03ee648cf1617

The heat pipe cooler in an Intel I7 number cruncher rack.
700 Watt power supply for it and the GPU.
The whole office is hot today with this thing on test.

Taken with the SMC Pentax 1:2 55mm with
the AF080C as TTL fill flash on the ist ds.

03-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What's the problem, other than indicating increased power usage? 97F shouldn't endanger the CPU. 97C, on the other hand....
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #6
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
What's the problem, other than indicating increased power usage? 97F shouldn't endanger the CPU. 97C, on the other hand....
this is a hand held device. something running hot enough to fry and egg, isn't something most people would want in something they hold in their hand. it should be pretty obvious, why this is an issue to people. a 16 degree jump in temperature is a big deal for this device segment. period. it may not mean much to all the apple fans who are going to buy it regardless, and i assume apple is aware of the impact such a jump in temp may have on its customers, as I assume they tested the device and are aware of the difference coming from an iPad or iPad 2, but its still worth noting, since you know, it will be in peoples hands...
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

97 degrees F can't fry an egg. 97 degrees F is just under your body temperature.

I used to have a laptop that would hit 200 degrees F at a certain spot (it was a Dell, and it was a bad Dell). Now that, is hot enough to fry an egg.
03-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
97 degrees F can't fry an egg. 97 degrees F is just under your body temperature.

I used to have a laptop that would hit 200 degrees F at a certain spot (it was a Dell, and it was a bad Dell). Now that, is hot enough to fry an egg.
thats apparently the operating temperature of the chip, not the actual temperature of the unit on the outer surface. if the chip runs at 97 degrees, I think with heavy use (say like playing a graphically intensive game on the larger than HD TV res display) could propel the outside temperature of the device to being hot enough to at least be uncomfortable to hand hold. wether it actually fried and egg or not is anyone guess. my MacBooks' CPU usually runs about 120 degrees and the palm rest sensor usually reads about 95 degrees, at normal use. (such as web browsing like I'm doing now) anything warmer than that, especially for a hand held device and I would consider too uncomfortable for extended use.

03-21-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
this is a hand held device. something running hot enough to fry and egg, isn't something most people would want in something they hold in their hand. it should be pretty obvious, why this is an issue to people. a 16 degree jump in temperature is a big deal for this device segment. period. it may not mean much to all the apple fans who are going to buy it regardless, and i assume apple is aware of the impact such a jump in temp may have on its customers, as I assume they tested the device and are aware of the difference coming from an iPad or iPad 2, but its still worth noting, since you know, it will be in peoples hands...
QuoteQuote:
Repair Labs said it was was unable to reproduce the 116 degree F temperatures that Consumer Reports noted earlier on Tuesday, though it did note that holding the new iPad 3 "could be noticeably warmer after only a few minutes use," especially if held where the A5X is located.
QuoteQuote:
Writing for Consumer Reports, Donna L. Tapellini said that the new iPad felt "very warm" when at its hottest, but not "especially uncomfortable if held for a brief period." The story was quickly picked up by other outlets, some of which dubiously claimed that Apple's new tablet could cause burns.
This is just the iHaters getting their hate on. If you are using it with a case you won't even notice it.
03-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
This is just the iHaters getting their hate on. If you are using it with a case you won't even notice it.
I think, thats a bit of a stretch to assume they people having a reaction to it is just 'haters'. my old iPod tough 4G would get quite hot to the touch when playing graphically intensive games, and I dont use a case on any of my apple products (macbook pro and iPhone 4s) if it gets hot enough to be reported, it could be a legitimate issue and thats not good for a hand held device. period. and your excuse is just as pathetic as apples 'your holding it wrong'. some people don't like using cases, I'm one of those people. I know your bias, as you are a self admit dapple fanboy, so you saying anything in regards to apple 'haters' is likely just as biased as you perceive them to be.
03-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thermal testing shows new iPad no hotter than Android tablets, notebooks
03-26-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Ha! I think I had that same Dell. I called Dell about it and they said re-flash the BIOS before they'll do anything. There was a hangup mid flash and then Dell said they'd send me a replacement motherboard for $500.

Later there was a class action lawsuit because of the massive thermal problems with the laptop.

I'll never buy another Dell anything.
03-27-2012, 05:13 PM   #13
Banned

Leo & Sarah debunk iPad heating issues

iPad Today 90 | TWiT.TV

I watched the show the other day and the new iPad heating issues are sour grapes from people who hate anything Apple.
03-30-2012, 04:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't see much of a problem. Our POS Asus laptop runs anywhere from 70-100 Celsius. We use the heatsink exhaust to keep tea warm in winter.
03-31-2012, 06:17 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While the picture is funny, it's a partially cooked egg that was put on the I Pad. Electronics get warm and the price we pay for thin and light is a warm case. The case IS the heat sink. I don't think 97 F is terribly hot. My Acer netbook gets much warmer. While I'm by no means an Apple fanboy, this is a bunch of whining about nothing. Actually, I think they should market it in motorcycle shops. Make a vest with a sleeve for the I Pad to keep you warm in cold weather. Along with a good diagnostic app and GPS, it could be the perfect accessory for the modern biker.