Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 09:35 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
March Madness

No, not BBall. Go Orange!

Climate Change. March heat records hit a 35-1 ratio to cold records.

QuoteQuote:
Dr. Jeff Masters: A spring heat wave like no other in U.S. and Canadian history peaked in intensity yesterday, during its tenth day. Since record keeping began in the late 1800s, there have never been so many temperature records broken for spring warmth in a one-week period–and the margins by which some of the records were broken yesterday were truly astonishing. Wunderground’s weather historian, Christopher C. Burt, commented to me yesterday, “it’s almost like science fiction at this point.“
March Madness: 'This May Be An Unprecedented Event Since Modern U.S. Weather Records Began In The Late 19th Century' | ThinkProgress

Perspective: More than 4,000 Record Highs Set! - weather.com

03-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

My team lost in the first round .

As a side note, you cant say there is climate change based on one years data (just like you cannot say global warming is not happening because of one cold winter)
03-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My home team here lost in the second round, but my Alma Mater is in the sweet 16.
03-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote

As a side note, you cant say there is climate change based on one years data (just like you cannot say global warming is not happening because of one cold winter)
This article is not trying to imply that a one year heat wave is proof of climate change.

QuoteQuote:
Yesterday, meteorologist Masters published a detailed statistical analysis that concluded, “It is highly unlikely the warmth of the current ‘Summer in March’ heat wave could have occurred unless the climate was warming.”
Dr. Jeff Masters' WunderBlog : Summer in March: more all-time March temperature records in U.S., Canada : Weather Underground

03-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kswier Quote

Yeah, but you can't dismiss every *single* instance of supporting data as a fluke, as deniers do. Unless there's extreme snow as well, which is also of course in the models, then they think a single cold snap discredits all of climate science.
03-25-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Banned

More than 6,000 Record Highs Set!

QuoteQuote:
In a typical March, particularly in the nation's northern tier, you may see, perhaps, one or perhaps two days of record warmth before a sharp cold front brings that spring tease to a screeching halt. Not so in March 2012.

When considering monthly record highs, meaning the warmest temperature on record for the month of March, according to NCDC, there have been 430 such monthly record highs tied or broken!

International Falls, Minn., self-promoted as the "Icebox of the Nation", tied or broke daily record highs 12 of 13 days from Mar. 10-22. This includes a 79-degree reading on March 18, which was the warmest day ever recorded during March in International Falls.

Chicago, Ill. tied or set new daily record highs nine days in a row from March 14-22! In this streak, eight of the days were in the 80s, including an astounding 87-degree high on March 21. The National Weather Service in Chicago recently called the warm spell "historic" and something that is unlikely to be matched in our lifetime.

Wednesday, March 21, both Marquette, Mich. (81 degrees) and Sault Ste. Marie, Mich. (83 degrees) shattered their previous March record highs. In Marquette, it was their earliest-in-season 80+ degree day on record, breaking the old record by 22 days! Despite a shorter period of record in Marquette (records since 1961), that's still an amazing feat.

Thursday, March 22, Detroit, Mich. reached 86 degrees, setting an all-time record high for the month of March. The previous record was set just the day before. Prior to this March 2012 warm spell, the record was 84 degrees set in late March of 1945. If that wasn't enough, their 10-day streak with highs at least in the 70s was their longest such streak so early in the season, topping the previous record by over a month!
Perspective: More than 6,000 Record Highs Set! - weather.com
03-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Pentaxian

While the US and some of Canada enjoyed a very mild winter, most of Europe had one of the worse in history. This year was more of an abnormal weather pattern which kept the jet stream north. I don't think it would be wise to budget next years heating costs based on this past winter. Besides, winter isn't over yet. Snow in our forecast and tonights wind is really brutal. I haven't put my long johns away yet.

03-27-2012, 03:27 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
While the US and some of Canada enjoyed a very mild winter, most of Europe had one of the worse in history. This year was more of an abnormal weather pattern which kept the jet stream north. I don't think it would be wise to budget next years heating costs based on this past winter. Besides, winter isn't over yet. Snow in our forecast and tonights wind is really brutal. I haven't put my long johns away yet.
Right. I have no doubt that global warming exists, but regional, short term temperatures are not to be blamed on it. Long term trends (over a period of several years) are. As you say, this was the worst winter in Europe in 40 years. That means nothing in the overall scheme of things either.
03-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Right. I have no doubt that global warming exists, but regional, short term temperatures are not to be blamed on it. Long term trends (over a period of several years) are. As you say, this was the worst winter in Europe in 40 years. That means nothing in the overall scheme of things either.
Actually, you can blame the fact that there are more and more frequent, and more intense *extremes,* because of all the extra heat in the atmosphere and such. That doesn't mean the Earth got as much warmer as the winter we had in the US was, it's about disrupted patterns and the like. You just can't pin down the short-term connections directly because the system's too complex. It's perhaps important to note that this doesn't make it a matter of pure randomness: if you had enough data and enough computing power, you *could* show the causality and predict specifically, but we're just nowhere near that level of detail yet.
03-28-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The Strange Conservative Brain: 3 Reasons Republicans Refuse to Accept Reality About Global Warming | | AlterNet
03-28-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This day last year...

Today it is 60F and we have already had 3 days over 80F. We had a freeze on Monday night, but they aren't predicting any more.
03-29-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm not disputing global warming but many of the weather science people have been saying all year that this years mild winter is related to arctic oscillation, not a direct result of global warming. I have seen articles popping up recently suggesting that this past winter will be the new norm and I think that isn't likely to happen. I'm not throwing away my snow blower. Don't forget the monster blizzard in October which happened when our normal NE jet stream pattern was in place. Smile and enjoy the savings on the heat bills. I think a smart move will be to buy next winters fuel now.
04-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Daily Kos: Republican Meteorologist on Climate Change

QuoteQuote:
I’m going to tell you something that my Republican friends are loath to admit out loud: climate change is real. I am a moderate Republican, fiscally conservative; a fan of small government, accountability, self-empowerment, and sound science. I am not a climate scientist. I’m a meteorologist, and the weather maps I’m staring at are making me uncomfortable. No, you’re not imagining it: we’ve clicked into a new and almost foreign weather pattern.
04-03-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I'm not disputing global warming but many of the weather science people have been saying all year that this years mild winter is related to arctic oscillation, not a direct result of global warming. I have seen articles popping up recently suggesting that this past winter will be the new norm and I think that isn't likely to happen. I'm not throwing away my snow blower. Don't forget the monster blizzard in October which happened when our normal NE jet stream pattern was in place. Smile and enjoy the savings on the heat bills. I think a smart move will be to buy next winters fuel now.
I totally agree with you. Even though the theory clearly states that extreme weather will happen more often it does not state that other factors will stop being important. The deniers are quick to bounce on 1998 which was an extremely hot year and that the years following it were not as hot as proof that the theory is wrong.

Much of our winter seemed to occur in March sandwiched between two very warm periods. Was a waste having good tires this winter other than for four days.
04-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
That was a wonderful article.. Thanks........

My favorite:
QuoteQuote:

Today, we have both remaining candidates of Douglas' Republican Party being firmly in the climate change deniers camp. Neither Mitt "we don’t know what’s causing climate change" Romney nor Rick "there is no such thing as global warming" Santorum are going to do anything positive toward the environment. What I don't understand is why "RINO" Douglas would want to remain associated with the party of climate and energy nihilism. They obviously do not want anything to do with him.