Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote

my daily wear for the last 3 years. my dad had one just like it. this is an old photo, its a little worse for wear at this point and resides on a brown leather 'Flieger' style band.

Benrus DTU-2A/P MIL-W-3818B from 1969, running an ETA 2370 17j.
When I was in the Marine Corps during the VN War (remember that one? We lost.) we called the watch shown the "Johnny Combat Watch". They issued them to us.....but I never got one. You had to stick a piece of velcro over the lense or the gooners would see its glow in the night.

The badge of the retired is no watch at all. If I need to know the time I take a peek at my cell phone, but I try not to worry about it.

BTW: If you have a good hobby, such as photography, being retired is wonderful. Every day is like Saturday. Time to read. Start saving and investing when you are young. Talk to a good, honest investment guy. Be Prepared, as the Boy Scouts say and, if healthy, and happily married, you'll never have more fun in your life!

03-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My first Seiko watch was back in the late 70's and read military time only. After 3 years, the battery died so I took it to the watch repair shop in Sears for two reasons: the back on it was a bugger to get off and even more so to put back on, and they would do the battery replacement for free if you bought the battery from them. The young lady popped off the back, replaced the battery and put the cover back on. Then she started to set the time for me, which was around 2:00 pm, a.k.a. 14:00. The look on her face when the digital readout went from 12:00 to 13:00 was priceless!
03-18-2013, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
My first Seiko watch was back in the late 70's and read military time only. After 3 years, the battery died so I took it to the watch repair shop in Sears for two reasons: the back on it was a bugger to get off and even more so to put back on, and they would do the battery replacement for free if you bought the battery from them. The young lady popped off the back, replaced the battery and put the cover back on. Then she started to set the time for me, which was around 2:00 pm, a.k.a. 14:00. The look on her face when the digital readout went from 12:00 to 13:00 was priceless!
I've had the same reaction to a 24 hour analogue watch. It's hard to get used to 12 being at the traditional 6 o'clock position.
03-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I've had the same reaction to a 24 hour analogue watch. It's hard to get used to 12 being at the traditional 6 o'clock position.
I prefer the 12 being on top like on a Botta Uno 24.