Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
FWIW I've always referred to the Democratic party as 'they' also, even though that's how I vote, but when I'm talking to other supporters of my chosen candidate, I use 'we'.

Institutional vs. Communal solidarity, maybe.

Yeah, that's a problem for the Dems, too. But, I consider myself a Green, not that there's much of a party involved there.

As for the mandate to buy corporate insurance, that's actually part of what the GOP really put in, given that there was no public option from the get-go and the insurance companies and all demanded privatized profits be a sacred cow from the get-go: in a sense that's what *they* get out of what concessions they have to make, like spending at least 80 percent on actual health care delivery (Still seems that leaves a lot of advertising and other stuff to be paying into,) ...but they also get a certain segment of lower-risk captive customers: any Constitutional issues about being forced to buy private products are a result of *that,* not what Obama's plan entailed. It's also why, as much of this reform as is actually very good, needed, and actually more popular than the branding 'Obamacare' makes people think, it's just not the long term solution for public health and job-suppressing health insurance costs that it could have been.

Talking points and distortions aside, this ain't actually about Obama's plan as presented, it's what made it through the filibusters and corporate demands, and about how that time and money was used to make the media perception of what this is different from what it actually ever ways: ie, manufacturing nonconsent.

How that'll play out in the corporate media electioneering horse-race-for-ratings-profits, well, that's anyone's guess. But the GOP will be trying to use it for the richest and most fanatical Right they can as always, truth of the matter or interests of the people be damned.

04-01-2012, 02:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

The only way Obama loses in Pennsylvania is if there's a landslide election. I think the last time Pennsylvania voted for a Republican in a non-landslide was Eisenhower.

Virginia is a bit more of a tossup this year but I think it'll be solidly democrat from 2016-20??.

Bottom line: Obama's at 247 before the election even starts. Solid campaigning in [Ohio and Virginia] or [Florida] means that he wins.
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The only way Obama loses in Pennsylvania is if there's a landslide election. I think the last time Pennsylvania voted for a Republican in a non-landslide was Eisenhower.

Virginia is a bit more of a tossup this year but I think it'll be solidly democrat from 2016-20??.

Bottom line: Obama's at 247 before the election even starts. Solid campaigning in [Ohio and Virginia] or [Florida] means that he wins.

Your 247 are close to the the Kerry 'baseline states', and you might be right. Interesting article here: RCP: Pathways to 270 for Obama and Romney.

Linked in there is this.

Five paths to victory from the 'Kerry Baseline':

Also, worth mentioning: Gallup: Obama Solidifying Lead Among Independents in Swing States

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-05-2012 at 09:06 PM.
04-06-2012, 06:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Of those, the West Path seems the most likely, and the south path the least likely. I think President Obama takes NM and CO. The Florida path is also challenging. Florida seems to be Alabama at the top and New York at the bottom. However, the Dems in the NY part (which includes quite a few friends and relatives) supported Hillary, and have been very squishy on the support of the President. I wonder how many of them will turn out.

04-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Of those, the West Path seems the most likely, and the south path the least likely. I think President Obama takes NM and CO. The Florida path is also challenging. Florida seems to be Alabama at the top and New York at the bottom. However, the Dems in the NY part (which includes quite a few friends and relatives) supported Hillary, and have been very squishy on the support of the President. I wonder how many of them will turn out.
Romney almost has to win Florida... and he's behind there, as of now. No wonder that's one of the states where the voter-suppression effort is being concentrated.

Some more interesting stuff:

341-197, as of right now, in that scenario. An interesting thing about that particular map: Even if Romney turns both Ohio and Florida red there - he still loses.

The Republican super-PACS have their work cut out for them. It's going to get very ugly in the swing states.

Last edited by jsherman999; 04-11-2012 at 11:43 PM.
04-12-2012, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

...however, a lot can and will happen between now and November.
04-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Romney can feasibly win Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina. It's possible he could win Virginia.

But I doubt it. My money's been on Obama since last year at this time.

04-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A very good electoral map here - Huffpost interactive. Description of it here.

You can click on the individual states to see the latest polling there, explaining why they are the color they are. Very good, bookmarked.

Closed Thread