Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-01-2012, 10:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Obama campaign donor accused of fraud

Bummer for Obama.

http://news.yahoo.com/top-obama-campaign-donor-accused-fraud-204442621.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — A major donor to President Barack Obama has been accused of defrauding a businessman and impersonating a bank official, creating new headaches for Obama's re-election campaign as it deals with the questionable history of another top supporter.
The New York donor, Abake Assongba, and her husband contributed more than $50,000 to Obama's re-election effort this year, federal records show...

...his campaign returned $200,000 last month to Carlos and Alberto Cardona, the brothers of a Mexican fugitive wanted on federal drug charges.

04-02-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Thats the price of being open about where campaign donations come from. Notice that the Retardpublicans don't release this information.
I expect for very good reason.
04-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Thats the price of being open about where campaign donations come from. Notice that the Retardpublicans don't release this information.
I expect for very good reason.
Yeah, that was Clinton's problem too. He was just too darned honest about that sort of thing; especially when it involved the Chinese.
04-02-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It is hard to find a major politician elected without some money coming from some person who is less than savory. Until we can do something about the money in politics, this story will be repeated endlessly.

04-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #5
Forum Member

This is news?
This is scandal?
I can't believe a journalist wrote this up or that an editor allowed it to go to print.
Bad journalism about a non issue IMO
Slow news day I guess.
04-02-2012, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Bummer for Obama.
yep, media will have fun with this. I am sure there will be republican "scandals" as well before the election is over as well. Sometimes I think the media will do anything to distract the American people from a meaningful, fact based, discussion about the issues our country faces.
04-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats the price of being open about where campaign donations come from. Notice that the Retardpublicans don't release this information. I expect for very good reason.
That is so bogus and displays your massive ignorance of things American. Have you ever heard of the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) ? FECA requires campaigns and political committees to report the names, addresses, and occupations of donors of $200 or more.

Possibly Obama is the only that has turned in records this far, but all candidates are required to do so.

Perhaps you should at least tone down the rhetoric when you say, "Retardpublicans don't release this information." your statements have a way of becoming a mirror, showing your own lack of intelligence. But then you are from Canada and I am beginning to get the idea from you and others like you that you think you know more about the United States than the people that live here.

04-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
That is so bogus and displays your massive ignorance of things American. Have you ever heard of the Federal Election Campaign Act (FECA) ? FECA requires campaigns and political committees to report the names, addresses, and occupations of donors of $200 or more.
QuoteQuote:
Identifiably conservative organizations are spending more than $2 on advertisements and other communications for every $1 liberal organizations do. While corporations are behind much of this money, many of these companies have skirted public scrutiny by laundering their cash through intermediary organizations, which often sport nondescript names and don’t immediately, if ever, reveal who funds them.
Election 2010 to Shatter Spending Records as Republicans Benefit from Late Cash Surge - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets

You have to love the good old US of A.
But of course, being an informed American, you knew that.
04-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by metaglypto Quote
massive ignorance of things American
Is not knowing the details of the Federal Election Campaign Act massive ignorance for a foreigner, just askin' cause I can find the U.S.A on a globe. I've read many U.S. citizens cannot do this yet. It would be better perhaps called the Federal Election Campaign Enforcement Service eh! (FECES)

Not implying Canada is without problems with elections btw.
04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Quote: Identifiably conservative organizations are spending more than $2 on advertisements and other communications for every $1 liberal organizations do. While corporations are behind much of this money, many of these companies have skirted public scrutiny by laundering their cash through intermediary organizations, which often sport nondescript names and don’t immediately, if ever, reveal who funds them. Election 2010 to Shatter Spending Records as Republicans Benefit from Late Cash Surge - OpenSecrets Blog | OpenSecrets
....and your point is???

I thought it interesting to note you did not bring up the salient points in the article about how the Republicans have out raised and out spent the Democrats thus far, but not by a lot, and the election cycle has a long way to go. I see nothing in that article that damns the Republicans in any way. Not that they don't deserve their fair share of damning. They are both just different sides of the same coin.
04-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

That is so bogus and displays your massive ignorance of things American. ...

Perhaps you should at least tone down the rhetoric when you say, "Retardpublicans don't release this information." your statements have a way of becoming a mirror, showing your own lack of intelligence. But then you are from Canada and I am beginning to get the idea from you and others like you that you think you know more about the United States than the people that live here.

Yeah. I also don't know how wheatfield is ever going to be able to educate himself either, since Fox News is having trouble breaking into Canada.

04-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Yeah. I also don't know how wheatfield is ever going to be able to educate himself either, since Fox News is having trouble breaking into Canada.

QuoteQuote:
Canada's Radio Act requires that "a licenser may not broadcast ... any false or misleading news."
sounds like a pretty god law. when is America going to require the same? wait, we'd be in trouble. would any major 'news' agency be allowed to continue to broadcast here in the US under such a law? its crazy that you need a law to protect truth in news reporting. its crazy that Harper would want to repeal a law requiring people to tell the truth. Harper looks a bit like a Canadian Newt Gingrich (sorry of that offended anyone)
04-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Is not knowing the details of the Federal Election Campaign Act massive ignorance for a foreigner, just askin' cause I can find the U.S.A on a globe. I've read many U.S. citizens cannot do this yet. It would be better perhaps called the Federal Election Campaign Enforcement Service eh! (FECES)

Not implying Canada is without problems with elections btw.
It is when you go around saying things like
Notice that the Retardpublicans don't release this information.
as if he did actually know something. First he stereotypes the Republicans as all being retarded, and then implies they have the issues without stating a single one. They probably do have the same issues, and if they don't now, they will eventually get caught with their pants down Its called P O L I T I C S.

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
cause I can find the U.S.A on a globe. I've read many U.S. citizens cannot do this yet
I agree, it hasn't always been this way though. Since the inception of Outcomes Based Education (OBE) in the 80's, basic skills have dropped way down while at the same time standards of testing have changed to create the illusion of literacy and other basic things people should know. I am looking for stats on ways to quantify the "dumbing down of America", they are difficult to find, but I could not agree more. I think America on average gets dumber each year, and they just change the way assessments are done to make it look better. Suffice it to say my wife is an educator and she sees more and more of it.

If I find anything on it I will weigh back in. Also just saying, "I've read many U.S. citizens cannot do this yet." doesn't really quantify anything either. I could probably say the same thing about Canada's citizens. I am fairly confident the literacy rates in both countries have changed somewhat every decade for the last fifty to seventy years.
04-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
sounds like a pretty god law. when is America going to require the same?
That ain't gonna happen. Haven't you heard, the American media is the fourth branch of government, the propaganda branch.
04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly Obama is the only that has turned in records this far, but all candidates are required to do so.

Moving right into the personal insults I see.
If it makes you feel smarter.....
As an aside, quite often, people from the outside will have a more correct perspective simply because we aren't as blinded by local ideology.
Closed Thread