Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #91
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

We saw what happened to our country under GWB - Palin represents a less-capable version of him, one that speaks to a more radical and easily-malleable demographic. The GOP can do much, much better than her.

Can they really do much better than her? Looking at the crop they are putting forward this go round, they either can't, or don't care to try.

04-10-2012, 06:06 AM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ron Paul often makes a lot of sense to me. But he's so at odds with what the Republican party are about these days, when I see him share a stage with with the other candidates, it's as if he's arrived from some sort of parallel dimension. A lot of Ron Paul's ideas also seem cruel or idealistic, but he seems to have an integrity that the others TOTALLY lack!

I think Ron Paul and his supporters should form a new party split off from the Tea Party, leaving the rest of them (the neo-con faux tea-partiers) to merge with the Republicans. I don't think Ron Paul or his ilk are going to win elections anytime soon, but I think they would have enough support that they could put policy pressure on the Republicans and the Democrats.
04-10-2012, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jack Quote
The objectivity of judges is an essential component of the American constitutional system. When Elena Kagan was Solicitor General of the United States, she and Harvard law professor Laurence Tribe had e-mail exchanges, which were obtained by Judicial Watch under the Freedom of Information Act, that suggest that she could not be impartial in ruling on Barack Obama’s Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act because she has taken a position for the bill.
Kagan is not recusing herself for the same reason Thomas isn't . . .because health care is so important to the country, except Kagan has one more reason, and that's that she knows the right wing faction of the court is looking to overturn every bit of the bill using the slightest excuse (which Scalia has already demonstrated). Thankfully we have another judge in there ready to stand for the people against the justices who are turning our country over to corporate greed and the rich.
04-10-2012, 07:45 AM   #94
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
There are literally 8th-graders out there who can demonstrate more institutional knowledge of the United States, awareness of current events and even judgement than Palin has up until now.

Honestly, comparing Obama's demonstrated capabilities to Palin's says a bit about your ability to judge relative intelligence - if you're being serious, which I don't think you entirely are... I detect a taste of Devil's Advocate going on.

The GOP embarrasses itself by putting forth candidates like Palin. She got where she is now by bringing religion into play, using it as a tool in what was a couple of small-time elections that had no business being about religion. She used that recognition to gain a governorship, despite her lack of qualifications for that job, and then was red-meat enough for McCain to tap to enthrall a nascent Tea Party-ish faction of his party that he felt he needed in the general election. Everyone involved in that decision regretted it.

We saw what happened to our country under GWB - Palin represents a less-capable version of him, one that speaks to a more radical and easily-malleable demographic. The GOP can do much, much better than her.

Well said Jay, except when it comes to ignorance and being self-absorbed, I'd judge your assessment of Palin too generous. She has reset the bar for unrepentant hubris.

04-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Ron Paul often makes a lot of sense to me. But he's so at odds with what the Republican party are about these days, when I see him share a stage with with the other candidates, it's as if he's arrived from some sort of parallel dimension. A lot of Ron Paul's ideas also seem cruel or idealistic, but he seems to have an integrity that the others TOTALLY lack!
He does seem to be very honest about his beliefs, but frankness isn't all there is to formulating a government design that works. If you study the basis of his ideas, it is "every man/woman/child for themselves." Inspired by pathologically self-absorbed Ayn Rand, he's taken her philosophy and made it into a social engineering tool.

People exist both as a whole and as individuals, so a properly balanced social architecture calls for strengthening both the unity of the whole and the self reliance of individuals that make up the whole. What happens with thinkers like Paul is they get stuck on one half of the equation and prescribe it as the cure for everything. To him, like Rand, favoring the power of the individual is the whole ball of wax, but he's just wrong about that (as any organizational development course teaches). That's why some of the every-man's-an-island (or country, etc) policies he derives from his belief system seem insane to the average balanced thinker.

Last edited by les3547; 04-14-2012 at 06:47 AM.
04-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #96
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Post/ABC Poll: Half Of Americans Believe SCOTUS Will Rule On Health Care Act According To Their Politics | Crooks and Liars
Closed Thread