Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 03:39 AM   #1
Forum Member

Does anyone here use more than one camera system?

Hello and how are you going?

Just wondering if anyone uses two or more camera systems? ie Pentax and Canon, etc and whether or not you find it feasible?

I love my Pentax gear and wouldn't give it up but I've started looking at getting a Ricoh m mount system and voigtlander lenses to use as a travel camera. The 15mm and the 35mm are the lenses that I hand in mind and been thinking of it because of the size factor, they're soo small. I know that the DA 15 Ltd is small and I own one but the voigts are something else.

However it is another expense and was just wondering if anyone else has invested in glass from multiple companies and do you feel that its worth it.

Thanks

Last edited by tyronfall; 04-03-2012 at 03:55 AM.
04-03-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use Nikon and Pentax. I dont find it too much of a hindrance realy.
Luckily I have CS4 for developing the K5s Raw files using DNG.
Once they are JPGs I finnish off in Capture NX2 which does an outstanding job
on Pentax JPGs. When Im shooting JPGs with the K5 I develop straight into Capture NX2.
Ive never been one for swapping lenses too much either and so I tend to have a camera with a lens almost permanently attached to that particular camera.
I have two nikon, the D3s with 80-200 f2.8 a D300 with 16-85 and the K5 with Tamron 17-50 atached. I also have a number of Nikon primes, but its not that often I use them.
Its a shame the flash wont work on either camera though. I have the SB900 for the nikon, so I had to buy a metz 50 for the pentax. The Pentax works for me, mostly because of the DNG files. If it wasnt for that fact, I think I may have thought Twice about it.
As it is, it works for me, so Im happy enough.
04-03-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a K5 (with 6 or 7 lenses) and I bought a Samsung NX100 with the excellent 30/2 lens as 2nd system... Beats everything out there in size/quality/price! And this lens is sharp!

The combo was 450€ (with a flash) at the time (but it went down in price since, I've seen it priced at 250€ not so long ago!), and Samsung also makes a small (and very good) 16mm pancake that I'm very tempted to buy...
There is also a 55/1.8 pancake (!) in the works that I'll get as soon as it hits the shelves...

Honestly, Samsung seems to be the Mirrorless' Pentax, with very good cameras and exceptional lenses, but very poor marketing!
04-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use mostly Pentax gear but I do like old Yashica SLR's and lenses too. The Yashica glass is good and until recently Yashica gear could be had fairly cheaply. I also own a Canon SLR and a 50mm lens, a Nikon camera and a 50mm lens and an almost complete Minolta set up that has yet to make it's way out of my "extra gear" box. Nothing against it, seems like decent gear, but I haven't had any real urge to use it. I guess I'm still hoping to trade the non Pentax gear at some point for more Pentax gear, who knows? But I prefer the Pentax gear and my one Yashica FRI. Probably the FRI and other Yashica gear is a luxury at this point. I have a black Spottie now, don't really need it, but I'm still holding onto it for now. That's all SLR's though, film. When it comes to DSLR it's just Pentax.

04-03-2012, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have several systems mostly film
Pentax - I have 3 digital and 3 film bodies with a dozen or so lenses
Olympus - I have a 4/3 digital with 2 lenses- (pretty much relegated to my wife)
Bronica - an ETRSi system with 4 lenses a couple of backs and WL and prism finder and assorted accessories
Mamiya - Super 23 6x7 rangefinder - haven't really gotten into this one much yet
Fed Rangefinders - 2 with 3 lenses and turret finder
assorted film P&S RF type cameras

Mostly I shoot the pentax digital, at one point i shot the pentax and the oly at the same time for events
I shoot the 645 mainly for landscapes and some portrait work
I shoot the Feds and the others for fun primarily as a street camera and it's kind of sporadic use
When I travel I take a Pentax digital and film now

Edit - and I have been thinking about the ricoh as a travel kit too BTW
04-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll count as a system anything where I have several bits of the system, i.e. if I only have a camera plus lens, it don't count...

Pentax - screw mount, Kmount, autofocus film, and the K100d and a basket full of lenses and other bric-a-brac.
Nikon - FE, EM, plus a passel of lenses.
Minolta - three cameras and a passel of lenses.
Kiev - camera, three lenses, turret finder.
Pentax 645 - one film camera, three lenses, extension tubes.

As you can see, it's mostly film and vintage, so monetarily it has been feasible (although I sometimes wonder about my logic: I could get the Nikkor 24 and 35/2 cheaper than I could get the equivalent Pentax models... but by the time I got through buying a few other bits and pieces, I'm sure I'd have had the Pentax lenses for less...)

When I have time to think, sometimes it gets a bit confusing: which camera + lens combo do I take?

When it comes to digital, compatibility with the vintage stuff is key.
04-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I'll count as a system anything where I have several bits of the system, i.e. if I only have a camera plus lens, it don't count...

Pentax - screw mount, Kmount, autofocus film, and the K100d and a basket full of lenses and other bric-a-brac.
Nikon - FE, EM, plus a passel of lenses.
Minolta - three cameras and a passel of lenses.
Kiev - camera, three lenses, turret finder.
Pentax 645 - one film camera, three lenses, extension tubes.

As you can see, it's mostly film and vintage, so monetarily it has been feasible (although I sometimes wonder about my logic: I could get the Nikkor 24 and 35/2 cheaper than I could get the equivalent Pentax models... but by the time I got through buying a few other bits and pieces, I'm sure I'd have had the Pentax lenses for less...)

When I have time to think, sometimes it gets a bit confusing: which camera + lens combo do I take?

When it comes to digital, compatibility with the vintage stuff is key.
knowing how many other single camera lens combos you have this seems like just part of the collection (after all aside from this there's folders Tlrs.....)

04-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've got mostly old Canon FD and Mamiya 645 for film: Though I carry Pentax film and digital in the interest of sharing glass and saving weight to carry around and all. And I've got my old Lumix bridge camera to cover digital if I ever want to carry really heavy film stuff. It works OK.

It's one of the reasons I'm with Pentax: I'm never without a film body, so the sharing of glass is pretty essential. It was down to Pentax and Nikon, for the most part, and given my budget, here we are.
04-04-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Pentax, digital and film, Canon FD and EOS, Minolta MD and A, M39 lenses on my Zorki, some 35mm film Praktica and Zenits, Voightlander Bessa 120, SONY NEX, Minolta and Olympus rangefinders. I need to rationalize......
04-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #10
Banned

I use Panasonic GH2 and GH1 m4/3rds along with my Pentax DSLRs, 35mm and 67 system.
04-04-2012, 07:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Maybe not much help to you at present but I see a 5DII in my future, plus the MPE65 for my macro, the 400/5.6 or 500/4 + x1.4 or x2 TC for birding and some fast portrait lenses for that gorgeous FF portrait look. I'll keep one of my K5s and my favourite PK lenses. Each brand has their particular strengths, for me Pentax has WR, wonderful primes and it's a very portable system, Canon has FF cameras, that great macro lens and does birding far better than Pentax ever will. MF lenses (whether legacy or new, e.g. Zeiss or Voigtlander) will work equally well on either system ... something Nikon can't offer.
04-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've tried with mixed success to limit myself to Pentax K film SLR cameras and lenses.
Of these I have too many. I also use various compact fixed lens viewfinder-type 35mm cameras.

Recently I picked up an old Nikon body, just like the one I had in college.
Fortunately it was defective, and I was able to send it back for refund.

Chris
04-06-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Does it count that I shoot Pentax DSLR and 35mm SLRs and the other system is Pentax 645n? I mean, they ARE separate systems!
04-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

No, other than some Nikon underwater gear I'm all Pentax.
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
No, other than some Nikon underwater gear I'm all Pentax.
Ah ha ! So that would be a yes then Nikonos still counts !