Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Banned

Tornadoes slam Dallas Texas

QuoteQuote:
Live video showed a huge tornado blasting through areas south of the city, throwing 18-wheel trailers like toys as power lines exploded in a shower of sparks.
Tornadoes send semi-trucks flying - Video on msnbc.com

Last edited by jogiba; 04-03-2012 at 02:03 PM.
04-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

yea, lots of damage from numerous tornados....luckily it appears there are no fatalities. I won't be posting pics...but the major news stations have numerous. Search CBS-NBC-ABC-FOX / DFW and you'll see a few.

Just another fun filled day here in the metroplex.......
04-03-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
Banned

pretty glad I no longer live in Ft. Worth. I have seen more than my fair share of them. had to call my brother though earlier today to make sure he was ok. I wish all folks in the DFW area good luck. hope everyone stays safe.
04-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
This Dallas Baseball-Sized Hail Can Probably Kill You

QuoteQuote:
This is amazing. We knew that baseball-sized hail was falling in Dallas, now under heavy beating by tornadoes, but look at these things. And look at that car! If these balls of ice hit you on the head, you are dead.
This Dallas Baseball-Sized Hail Can Probably Kill You (Updated With Video)

QuoteQuote:
Several tractor trailers were seen being thrown into the air. Dr. Forbes: "Imagine a tractor trailer dropping into you back yard ,a total scene of chaos, total devastation. Let’s hope there were no mobile homes in the area." As he watched the live video Forbes remarked, "An entire roof is gone. Oh, my. It's causing extreme damage now, oh wow. This is very serious. A trailer van, picked up into the air has crashed. A big piece of one thrown into the air, maybe 100 nor 200 feet into the air."
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/texas-tornado_2012-04-03

QuoteQuote:
A Schneider National spokeswoman has confirmed that “a tornado hit the Schneider National Operating Center in the Dallas/Fort Worth area earlier today” but so far no injuries have been reported.

Erin Elliott said: “Our first priority is the safety of all our associates. We are currently assessing the status of all associates on location at the time of the tornado. There are no reported injuries at this time.”

She told The Trucker that some 65 office staff and maintenance associates work at the facility and that 200 to 300 drivers come in and out of the facility each day.

Fox News and other media sources reported that an apparent tornado hit the facility Tuesday afternoon, tossing tractor-trailers into the air.

CNN said Schneider currently is in the process of accounting for all its employees at the facility, located at 34511 Lyndon B. Johnson Freeway.

Employees sought shelter again as more tornados were reported in the area around 3 p.m., Schneider National spokesperson Janet Bonkowski told CNN.

The operating center is described as one of the company’s larger facilities in the area. The building did not sustain major damage but the loss of equipment in the yard was described as “massive,” according to Fox News, which said witnesses described trucks and trailers being picked up by the tornado and tossed into the air.

CNN showed footage from WFAA in Dallas with several trailers — including many in the distinctive orange of Schneider National — being tossed high into the air before falling back onto the lot.
http://www.thetrucker.com/News/Stories/2012/4/3/SchneiderNationalconfirmsDal...sreported.aspx

Last edited by jogiba; 04-03-2012 at 05:46 PM.
04-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ye Gods. Amazing. Hope everyone's OK.
04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I lived in Irving till about 2 years ago and it was pretty strange. It seemed every time there was a bad storm or tornado coming at us, it would head straight for Irving, then make a detour right around Irving and nail Arlington. There must be something in the topography of irving that the storms didn't like.
04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by ripit Quote
I lived in Irving till about 2 years ago and it was pretty strange. It seemed every time there was a bad storm or tornado coming at us, it would head straight for Irving, then make a detour right around Irving and nail Arlington. There must be something in the topography of irving that the storms didn't like.
or more likely, the storms just love arlington! I lived in Ft. Worth for 22 years, born and raised. and while I've seen Ft. Worth get pounded a few times (anyone remember the tornado that destroyed downtown in 2000?) I saw so many storms that seemed to always end up square over arlington. I would never live in arlington, just for that reason alone. its like a storm magnet. and thats bad for a big city in tornado alley.