Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Staying with Pentax or jumping ship?
I'm sticking with Pentax - I would most likely never change systems 11636.59%
I'm sticking with Pentax for now - will see happens down the road. 13141.32%
I'm sticking with Pentax - but would move on if I had the $. 3410.73%
I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system 3410.73%
I don't own a Pentax 20.63%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am sticking with Pentax, at least for the time being, but would only jump if things changed dramatically for the worse. At the moment for my purposes, I see no good reason to bail out and plenty of good reasons to stay. My philosophy is, "the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence".

Good luck to those who choose to jump ship, each to his/her own choice.

04-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will stay with Pentax. I am deeply invested into the K system with two camera bodies, and I expect the recent massive price increases to lead to future expansion of Pentax into brick-and-mortar retail stores as well as new and improved products over the coming years. However, if Pentax goes strongly downhill over the next year or so, I may end up switching to Canon.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 04-05-2012 at 04:22 PM.
04-05-2012, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
staying! i think it would be silly to change (to a more expensive system) over a fairly routine price increase. Numerous threads here asking for a FF camera, new lenses, firmware updates, new features, etc, and then when the company indicates it may actually do so by increasing its cashflow, people don't like it. what's up people?

we WERE talking about the price increase...right? or did Pentax get bought again?
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't see switching. Looking at Nikon for instance, lenses are just flat out expensive. That is to say, upper end glass and I just wouldn't be satisfied with the bottom end glass after shooting limiteds. The same is true of Canon L glass. If I would just sell my Pentax gear to buy a Nikon/Canon and mount Sigmas on my camera, then I might just as well stay with Pentax.

Anyway, I don't see prices staying forever where they are right now -- probably gradually move down over the next couple of months.

04-05-2012, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sticking with Pentax unless something really drastic happens I'm an enthusiast and quite happy with a pair of K-5 a lot of good glass. My lba notwithstanding, I'm not much of a gear head and don't feel the system is deficient in any serious respect. I'm getting some pretty nice photos now and, to the extent my results could improve, it's technique--not gear--that needs refinement. Besides, I'm in my 70s so I figure it's pretty likely that Pentax (and maybe even my k-5s) will outlive me.
04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #21

Great poll for a pentax forum. Very interesting. Uh, I'm stayng with Pentax!! lmao.
04-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I like the small, light excellent system you can build with Pentax. if I wanted big and expensive I will borrow Nikon gear. If I was a pro that might be another matter but I shoot for myself and am relatively satisfied. Might add a couple of lenses in the next few years but otherwise sticking pat.

04-05-2012, 05:32 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Just terrible that the U.S. should have to pay what other countries have been paying for years. Terrible.
I will never switch to another brand. But I will be switching which country I buy my Pentax gear from. Sorry USA, but I will no longer be propping up your economy with my LBA. But watch out for economic growth in Asia !
04-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The only problem with that strategy is the lack of warranty support. Then again, there's rarely any warranty support when buying used glass, so I guess it's a judgment call.
04-05-2012, 05:57 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am sticking with Pentax, no need to jump ship. I have been very happy with Pentax and taken great photos. So, why change, it is your eye and skill with composition and gear that counts.
04-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
Forum Member

I'm waiting for those people who say they're switching to dump their gear at the same time. Then, I'll pick up the lens or two I'd like but will be used prices instead of new.
04-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I didn't answer the poll because my answer doesn't quite fit. Yes, I'll keep my Pentax gear; I see no reason to dispose of it. Yes, I'll watch what happens with Pentax-Ricoh and other makers, but not so I can "jump ship". I choose products by functionality and price-performance, not by brand name. I've been brand-agnostic for a long long time. I may look to some Sony NEX or other MILC to supplement (but not replace) my K20D, so long as I can use the vast majority of my Pentax-able lenses.
04-05-2012, 08:36 PM   #28

Is Nikon the camera that you can only by nikon lenses for? Or is it another camera that you HAVE to purchase their lenses?
04-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I would never completely leave Pentax, pryed out of my cold dead hand will be a FA31, but the next Dslr I buy will be FF. In the meantime the K-5 and MZ-S are a great pair.
04-05-2012, 09:37 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raye Quote
Is Nikon the camera that you can only by nikon lenses for? Or is it another camera that you HAVE to purchase their lenses?
Camera systems are designed with something called the flange-focal distance or register, the distance from the lens mount to the frame (film or sensor). Shorter-register lenses on longer-register cameras can't reach infinity focus. I won't bore you with numbers, but some register relationships (from longer to shorter) are:
Nikon > Pentax > Sony > Canon > Leica > m4/3 > NEX > Q
Nikon, Pentax, and Sony lenses can be adapted to Canon, m4/3, and NEX cameras, but not the other way around, not without IQ-killing optical adapters. Canon cameras can accept all sorts of lenses; that's why Canoneers keep taking our Takumars!

Medium-format lenses have longer registers and can be adapted for Nikon. Otherwise, Nikons can only use Nikon-mount camera lenses for general photography. Shorter-register lenses like Pentax *can* be used on Nikon cameras without optical adapters, but only for macro or other close work. And enlarger (EL) or copy lenses can be mounted on Nikon bellows; ELs longer than 90mm can reach infinity focus on most bellows. But most toggers don't bother with such niceties. Nikon owners generally stay in their rut.

So the answer to your question is: Of current FF and APS and 4/3 camera systems, Nikon is the least adapter-friendly.
Closed Thread