Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Staying with Pentax or jumping ship?
I'm sticking with Pentax - I would most likely never change systems 11636.59%
I'm sticking with Pentax for now - will see happens down the road. 13141.32%
I'm sticking with Pentax - but would move on if I had the $. 3410.73%
I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system 3410.73%
I don't own a Pentax 20.63%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 27 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have all I need now, and the only thing I look forward to in the future is a rotating LCD. No reason to leave.

04-05-2012, 10:18 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Im jumping ship.

Pentax cant offer me what I want...... FF DSLR
04-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im jumping ship.

Pentax cant offer me what I want...... FF DSLR
So will you be going to Canon so you can use your Pentax glass with an adaptor, or will you ditch the lot and go to Nikon??
If Pentax can't convince me they'll produce the goods in a year or so, a FF Canon is looking good for me....
04-05-2012, 11:18 PM   #34
Veteran Member

It will be ditch the lot and go Nikon, I dont like Canon lenses.

04-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #35

You have some nice Pentax primes listed in your signature. Just out of curiosity which Nikon lenses will you be replacing them with?
04-06-2012, 01:34 AM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I've switched over to the Nikon 1 system and Sony NEX; but I still have a few pieces of Pentax.
Likewise - lately only invested in Nikon lenses and Nikon V1, and when it comes to my Pentax gear the FA lenses gets more used with the NEX-5N, than with the K-5. So my everyday gear is either the NEX with the Zeiss 1.8/24, and/or the V1 with the 10-30 and the 30-110.
04-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Ouch, it will be sad to see you leave the Pentax fold Simon. I hope you stick around this forum at least if/when you pull the trigger on a D800. I'd imagine it would be hard for you to part with that fa77 of yours though, it brought you a lot of awesome shots.

04-06-2012, 03:41 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kennod Quote
You have some nice Pentax primes listed in your signature. Just out of curiosity which Nikon lenses will you be replacing them with?
Havent quite decided yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Ouch, it will be sad to see you leave the Pentax fold Simon. I hope you stick around this forum at least if/when you pull the trigger on a D800. I'd imagine it would be hard for you to part with that fa77 of yours though, it brought you a lot of awesome shots.
Im not going yet , there's a shortage of D800's and my local shop doesnt know when they will get more and the next lot and they are probably all for pre-orders. So I will be with Pentax for a little while yet, plus have to sell my gear. This forum is great I will always be here. The FA77 will be hard to part with, i will sell it last.
04-06-2012, 04:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Not sure yet, I waiting to see what the recently announced 560mm will do in terms of price and performance.
If those are good then it will be Pentax only but if not plan B is to get some secondhand Canon body and a EF 300L F4 or a 400L F5.6 with the canon 1.4 mkIII TC.

My K5 is good and I have a nice and flexible range of glass (4 primes and 3 zooms, reaching from 14mm-300mm) so Pentax wil do quite fine for my standard work but for wildlife/birds it`s limited. I don`t want to spend €4200,- for a sigma 500 F4.5 when you can get the above mentioned canon setup for half the money.
04-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Sticking. By the time I have any urge to buy more gear (aps-c, FF or lenses) , I'm predicting good things from P-R. The only lens that currently interests me is the DA*55 and I'm still extremely happy with my K-5 - it's a joy to use, especially with my Limiteds.

Besides, I have my eye on some new speakers
04-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My first 35mm was an Asahi Pentax S with an f2.2 preset Takumar. Over the years I've owned an huge range of Pentax equipment, from 16mm fisheye to 1000mm mirror (a terrible lens), I've also owned one Nikon (an FA) and one Canon (FE), both purchased to get access to specific lenses (500 f4 Nikkor; tilt-shift Canon). My main complaint with Pentax is the dwindling lens selection. When I purchased an LX, there was a wide range of Pentax optics available, some of them outstanding (I still own the 200 f4 macro). But now the list of lenses is dismally small, with FAR TOO MANY in or overlapping the 50~100mm focal length range. Some Sigma and Tamron lenses are not available in K-mount, and none made by Tokina. Zeiss/Cosina no longer offers the amazing 100 f2 Makro. I'm staying with Pentax primarily because of the large set of equipment already owned. If all that were swept away, I would not choose Pentax to rebuild a system. Ricoh had better start expanding their lens offerings if they expect to attract additional "serious amateur" photographers. How about a really good 10mm or 8mm rectilinear to mount on the K-01 body?
04-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #42
Veteran Member

The Poll is missing an important option. Dual systems.

I can't wait forever for Pentax to introduce FF and decent birding lenses. I'm going dual system; K5 and 5DII.
04-06-2012, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

What is wrong with Americans? "oh noe, the price has gone up for almost a week now, there is no hope of anything ever changing! It will only get 60% more expensive every week from now on! Its not at all like we just had lenses below their actual value this whole time!"
Come on, its not like you buy lenses and bodies every week. But if some odd market behaviour.. well, maybe you should take a literal approach to #2

Edit: Before anyone says anything, clearly this kind of people are in the minority, which the poll also reflects. But unfortunately this minority tends to be very loud.
04-06-2012, 05:23 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
I voted for the 2nd option. The recent price hike will keep me from buying any new glass, but I have enough in my existing collection to keep me happy. I've desired full frame for a while now, but I'm willing to wait to see what happens when Photokina rolls around. Ideally, I'd love to see a Pentax FF, but if that's not the case, I'll transition to Nikon FX.
Words right out of my mouth.
04-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #45
Pentaxian

I'm not affected by the price increase (Singapore)

Using cameras from companies that start with 'P' (ie. Pentax/Panasonic)
I have all the lenses I'll ever need.
The K5 will actually last another 2-3yrs if I want to be logical about it.
Its that good, imo.
Need is not equal to want of course, though I certainly don't see a problem getting a new Pentax body every other year.

Pentax produces the small and good performing lenses I want on APS-C, so jumping ship is illogical to me, since there is no other maker with equivalent small lenses.

Perhaps I may play with a 2nd hand 5DII if Pentax does not produce a FF in a year or two, but this will be a lean system of no more than 3 lenses (or even just super takumars)
Then again, logically, if I want shallower DOF for the same FOV, I should just shoot more 67 film.......
Closed Thread