Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Staying with Pentax or jumping ship?
I'm sticking with Pentax - I would most likely never change systems 11636.59%
I'm sticking with Pentax for now - will see happens down the road. 13141.32%
I'm sticking with Pentax - but would move on if I had the $. 3410.73%
I've given up on Pentax and moving to another system 3410.73%
I don't own a Pentax 20.63%
Voters: 317. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #61

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im jumping ship.

Pentax cant offer me what I want...... FF DSLR
I'm also jumping ship. Unless they correct the pricing mistake (The DFA 100mm macro increase hurts the most, no interest in APS-C lenses anymore), and release a FF before then..

04-06-2012, 09:15 PM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

How many here are angry about price increases, but didn't intend to buy a lens anytime soon anyway?
04-06-2012, 10:13 PM   #63
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I don't believe the current US pricing will last. Marketing is not an exact science. Sometimes they throw something out there to see if it will float. If sales drop too much, they will lower the price. This is basic economics.
The same thing happened, at least here in spoiled Canada, when Pentax tried to jack our prices a couple of years ago. Nobody wanted to pay $1,500+ for the 50-135, for example, so it dropped to below $1,200 and remains there.

By the way, I concur with those who don't think an APS-C lens should cost anywhere near as much as a full-frame equivalent. It's absurdity for Pentax to price lenses like the 50-135 so high, whether or not such cropped-sensor lenses have weather-sealing or a * in its name. (For the record, the 50-135 is not worth more than $1,000 in my mind; IQ at f/2.8 is sub-par, and IQ from 100-135 mm is also not great. It's certainly no Canon L-series!)
04-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #64
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

#1 for me. APS-C is enough but I'm keen on a FF just because of the FA ltds and am OK to wait for any such announcement for real. Few situations have seen me needing the awesome AF capability of the D300 / 7D and the FF benefits of the 5D MkIII or D700 / 800 are outweighed by the cost IMO. The K-5 is good enough for me right now and will probably upgrade my K-x to either the new flagship APS-C or the FF once announced.

04-06-2012, 11:25 PM - 1 Like   #65
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Im jumping ship.

Pentax cant offer me what I want...... FF DSLR
Simon, it'd be a shame to no longer see your magic with the FA limiteds. ...
04-06-2012, 11:40 PM   #66
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Good luck jumpers .. i do hope you'll flood the market with ur secondhand lenses !!

To bad you forgot the reasons why you choose Pentax in the first place.
04-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #67
Inactive Account

Not likely to change systems entirely but maybe supplement with a full frame system and maybe a m4/3 for the smaller size.
I already have a Pentax film body so able to use FF glass on 3 different 'crop' sizes makes it very flexible.
If I was to get the m 4/3 I would get the pancake zoom 14-42 and maybe the Panny 20.
A FF system would have 28-75/70-200/fast 50 and adapt the rest from Pentax.

04-07-2012, 12:08 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Simon, it'd be a shame to no longer see your magic with the FA limiteds. ...
I will miss the FA LTD's, its a shame Pentax wont make a FF , I would like to stay.
My local dealer says the D800 is in short supply and could be a quite a while until they have spare stock, so I wont be selling up until then.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thoran Quote
Good luck jumpers .. i do hope you'll flood the market with ur secondhand lenses !!

Thanks! Yes I will be selling but dont expect a bargain, profit will be made from a few lenses
I havent forgot the reasons I went Pentax and never will, my Pentax journey started 12 years ago
04-07-2012, 02:01 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's too funny... I would move on if I had the money... move on to a 645D.
Great response!

Actually, I was saving up for a 645D. And I'm almost there. But I am going to wait out for a bit to see what happens to Pentax Ricoh first.
04-07-2012, 02:11 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Also, maybe this is how stores are putting pressure on Pentax to remove the uni policy.
You know, to show who has the upper hand in this relationship.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-07-2012 at 03:13 AM.
04-07-2012, 04:40 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
How many here are angry about price increases, but didn't intend to buy a lens anytime soon anyway?
It's like the old joke about two people in a restaurant:

-- This place has really gone downhill. I just don't like the food any more.

-- Yeah, and the portions are so small now.
04-07-2012, 05:26 AM   #72
Veteran Member

Your reasons may not be other people's reasons. Many have originally chosen Pentax for the great bang-per-buck ratio. One price hike after another diminishes that quite a bit.
04-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #73
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Your reasons may not be other people's reasons. Many have originally chosen Pentax for the great bang-per-buck ratio. One price hike after another diminishes that quite a bit.

Lets hope thats indeed the reason .. they will be jumping back to Pentax after they tasted the canon /nikon way of shooting
04-07-2012, 06:48 AM   #74
Banned

Photos: Albums
Darn, I can't vote on the poll because my option for an answer isn't quite listed.

I've been a Pentax owner since the early 80's; P&S, APS, film slr, digital slr (K-5s), mirrorless (K-01), and also even medium format Pentax. Ironically my favority film camera body is a Ricoh XR-S (never guess what the S stands for).

I also have numerous other camera systems, yet still prefer to use my Pentax systems whenever possible.

For those readers that remeber some of the true classics; most will remember how many students and beginners used the Pentax K1000. Perhaps Pentax should be making another large push in that direction??
04-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #75

Lets hope thats indeed the reason .. they will be jumping back to Pentax after they tasted the canon /nikon way of shooting
I'll miss the layout of the cameras, that's for sure. And the FA lenses. I have tried many DA lenses and I'll miss the DA*300 and the DA15. Using the PZ-1P with full frame lenses is the reason I want to switch. It's a pleasure to use with the huge viewfinder.

The recent pricing increase and interviews without mention of upcoming FF are the icing on the cake. Maybe I'll keep the PZ-1P+FA43mm and just ditch the digital gear and all other lenses.

Last edited by pz1fan; 04-07-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: clarification
Closed Thread