Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong about "never being under OIG investigation"

Video prompts more outrage over GSA spending - CNN.com

The whole GSA $825K conference debacle is atrocious however, it amazes me how people in the public sector can film themselves being completely stupid and not think there could be consequences... This nitwit is now not only very likely under OIG (Office of the Inspector General) investigation but he probably won't be a GS-15 much longer.

04-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See... this is what we fiscal conservative folks mean. Yeah, let's give the Govt. even more of our hard-earned dollars. They'll use 'em wisely... NOT!!!
04-06-2012, 06:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I once did some work in the executive secretary pool at Bell Canada. They told me that they worked less than 10 hours a week. There were over 20 of them. Just making sure all those Ma Bell executives have a secretary when they need one. You seem to think this is a government problem. But you're wrong. But, it's definitely not any better in Governement. It's funny though, people say well this is why we shouldn't support government. But they don't say, "this is why we shouldn't have telephones. That's because for some reason they think government is something other than an organization you pay for that provides services for what you pay.

I've got news for you. There is no dime that is not your dime. You pay for General Electric, you pay for the phone company, it's all your money. The difference between those guys and government is with government you actually get a say in how it's run every now and then, and 10% of what they take in isn't profit. Even there the line blurs. Government debt represents money from private people who have in vested in government, so there is very little difference between interest paid to people who hold Government bonds and share holders.

The whole distinction between private and public ownership is way overblown. You give the phone company, the oil companies, the electric companies your hard earned dollars with absolutely no control over what they do with it. But you want government to be different? That's amusing.
04-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
See... this is what we fiscal conservative folks mean. Yeah, let's give the Govt. even more of our hard-earned dollars. They'll use 'em wisely... NOT!!!
And this is what others of us mean by taking one bad example, which is insignificant in the scheme of things, and labeling it the norm. Here is a little perspective on cost: 1 year of shameful Vegas blowouts every day = 1/2 day in Iraq.

Last edited by GeneV; 04-06-2012 at 07:13 AM.
04-06-2012, 07:10 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
which is insignificant in the scheme of things, and labeling it the norm.
Ya, never label anything "the norm", unless of course it's me , the Norm.
04-06-2012, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Or, pay for 365 ridiculous parties in Vegas and throw in a bridge to nowhere and a couple of studies on the effect of washing one's private parts, and you still haven't blown as much as a single day of the war. Cost of War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
04-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ya, never label anything "the norm", unless of course it's me , the Norm.
You are definitly "THE NORM"

Anyway, to Gene - I did not say anything about it being the norm but in my line of work I've seen plenty of other examples and.. no, I can't really say more than that.

To Norm - The difference between what I said and your example is that you are voluntarily giving your money to Ma Bell or any other private entity. Generally, you have other options (although sometimes it's the old "six of one and a half-dozen of the other"). In your example there are plenty of other telecommunication options out there since "the phone company" is no longer the monopoly it once was (yeah, I'm THAT old). The Govt. on the other hand is "taking" your money and you have no choice in the matter. And also virtually no say in how that money will be used. The Govt. has an obligation and should be held to a higher standard to use the money it collects through taxes wisely. At this, it often fails miserably (I said OFTEN not ALWAYS )
04-06-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
The difference between what I said and your example is that you are voluntarily giving your money to Ma Bell or any other private entity. Generally, you have other options (although sometimes it's the old "six of one and a half-dozen of the other"). In your example there are plenty of other telecommunication options out there since "the phone company" is no longer the monopoly it once was (yeah, I'm THAT old).
The reality is, it would be irresponsible to not have a phone. if someone has a heart attack in your driveway.. or any other medical emergency. Communities are designed to force you to drive in North America, surviving without a car is time consuming and more dangerous. Surviving without electricity? Please. So while in theory your point is valid, in practice, especially with the current anti-competitive environment... your choice is one corrupt company or another. Find me the electric company that doesn't pay it's CEO a million a year for doing a job I could learn to do in 6 months

The simple fact is.. it doesn't matter where you are, 100% productivity isn't possible or even desirable. Some people are paid to be available when needed, and they may goof off when they have nothing else to do. If they went down to a homeless shelter to volunteer, they wouldn't be doing what they are supposed to be doing., which would be being prepared to intervene in a situation that must be resolved quickly. I used to work in a small 6 man furniture plant. I know all about utilization of time and resource from a micro-management perspective. Sometimes you just get time to goof off and you may as well kick back and enjoy it. I know the boss would prefer everyone sat around with glum looks on their faces (like he does, because he's paying folks to do nothing) and it's very inconsiderate of us to get all happy and everything but, that's why he had his own office and we didn't. He had every right to send us home, but then who was going to unload the lumber truck when it got there?

04-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
The Govt. has an obligation and should be held to a higher standard to use the money it collects through taxes wisely. At this, it often fails miserably (I said OFTEN not ALWAYS )
Often, the citizens fail miserably at keeping their government accountable.
04-06-2012, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
it amazes me how people in the public sector can film themselves being completely stupid and not think there could be consequences... This nitwit is now not only very likely under OIG (Office of the Inspector General) investigation but he probably won't be a GS-15 much longer.
It's the Civil Service version of Darwinism.
04-06-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hmm where to start.. 1) Taxpayer money going to junkets 2) Corporate money pays for junkets 3)Corporate spending is financed by profits 4)profits come from taxpayers................... Funny

QuoteQuote:
“The conferences are paid for by rich right wing foundations – (Sarah) Scaife, of Pittsburgh, (Charles) Koch, of Arlington, Virginia etc.— and by wealthy, powerful companies involved regularly in litigation where their side is, at minimum, the conservative side,” he said. After attending these sessions, Vevel noted, judges “have been known to go back home and alter rulings on cases on the issues discussed at a one-sided conference.”

Velvel, who formerly worked as a lawyer in the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice in Washington, said, “one of the reasons antitrust is now of such little value in the U.S. is that the judiciary has adopted views taught at the right wing conferences.”

Writing about the seminars, Dorothy Samuels, a member of the editorial board of The New York Times on January 20, 2006, said the seminars are “underwritten by monied interests out to influence judges to rule in favor of corporate interests on issues like environmental protection and liability for harmful products.”

“Conducted under the innocuous sounding banner of ‘judicial education’,” Samuels added, “(i)n reality these slanted multi-day sessions mock the ideal of an independent, impartial judiciary…”

Some justices go beyond what The Times calls “conferenceering” by accepting costly gifts outright. Justice Clarence Thomas was cited by the paper because he “had accepted thousands of dollars in gifts in recent years, including an $800 leather jacket, a $1,200 set of tires from NASCAR, and an extravagant vacation from a conservative activist.”

Velvel said that large corporations and wealthy right wing foundations are not likely to keep pouring money into these conferences – which they call ‘educational’ but which are really transmission belts for unalloyed, unchallenged right wing ideas (read propaganda) – unless they thought a benefit was accruing to them from the conferences. Big corporations pour money into lobbyists to get results, after all. Why would anything less be true of these conferences?”
Federal Judges Accepting All-Expense Paid Junkets to Right-Wing Conferences | LA Progressive

Please continue to fight the wrong battles..................
04-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Or, pay for 365 ridiculous parties in Vegas and throw in a bridge to nowhere and a couple of studies on the effect of washing one's private parts, and you still haven't blown as much as a single day of the war. Cost of War - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gene,

Just because the cost of our adventures in the middle east is so outrageous, that's no reason to excuse or minimize malfeasance or fraud, waste and abuse in government here at home.

Mike
04-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Gene,

Just because the cost of our adventures in the middle east is so outrageous, that's no reason to excuse or minimize malfeasance or fraud, waste and abuse in government here at home.

Mike
No it is not excused, but it needs to be in perspective. So often we rant about the chicken feed and swallow the boulders.
04-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Often, the citizens fail miserably at keeping their government accountable.
You are correct Wheat!
04-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
No it is not excused, but it needs to be in perspective. So often we rant about the chicken feed and swallow the boulders.
Ever hear the phrase "Watch the pennies and the pounds (dollars in our case) will watch out for themselves" Gene???