Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm king of the world!!!!

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Honeywell Pentax SPII (Japan) BLACK

I am going to have to send him to Mr Eric though. He's got a sticky shutter, and the battery cap screw is stripped, but otherwise it's in pretty nice shape. Very little brass. A freakin BLACK SPII!!!! I would have had it cleaned anyhow. Might take me a while to save up the funds but I'll have to send the Spottie F in for a good cleaning too at some point, so whenever, they'll likely go together. I'm going to get them both cleaned up and running like clockwork though you watch! This is the Honeywell King to my Ashai Queen. The SPF is relegated to Prince status, but he and "Dad" will make a nice pair, no? (Yeah baby!!!!) Here I wait 4 freakin EVER for a black Spottie and now I have TWO!!!!! (Yeah, that's me gloating, sue me, laugh.)

But that's not all as you can see...

SMC Takumar 1:1.4 50MM with original caps
SMC Takumar 1:4/200 with original case, caps and lens hood
Super Lentar 1:2.8 35MM with case and caps (Pretty good lens for a Lentar according to what I've read.)

Lenses were pretty dusty but cleaned up fine. I don't think I see any fungus with a flashlight but I'm going to have to check them under better light just to make sure.

Vivitar 2X tele-converter
Vivitar 2800 Flash with RBOB filters, no green, missing...

Minolta X700
(I haven't quite figured this one out as yet. Looks to work okay though and it's in beautiful shape from what I can tell and I have Minolta lenses all over the place. I probably have half a dozen primes I can put on this thing. Might sell it all though it is a pretty camera and a good one from what I read. Definitely has a sweet view screen, nice and bright.)

Phoenix Samyang Auto Zoom 1:3.5-4.5 28-70mm

I got it all for about $75 which of course killed the funds in the Hello Kitty bank but I'm thinking maybe it was worth it? ;P

Last edited by magkelly; 04-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.
04-07-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks good to me ...

Bonjour,

Enjoy ... and if you ever want to bail out on the Taks, let me know, SVP

Salut, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 04-08-2012 at 12:57 AM.
04-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hell.... the minolta X700 is an awesome camera. The only thing i didnt like was the lowly 60th sec flash sync.
04-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I got it all for about $75 which of course killed the funds in the Hello Kitty bank but I'm thinking maybe it was worth it? ;P
Hello Mag,
What a deal! Were you wearing a mask and did the guy have his hands in the air? LOL!
Just kidding, but for that price I couldn't resist, you stole this stuff. The black Spottie alone is worth more than you paid. Quite the deal-finder, you are.
Good luck, great find!
Ron

04-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a Minolta XG-7 too that someone gave me a while back but it's mostly just sitting in a box with a half dozen lenses. I tried to sell it but no one went for it at all. I'm guessing from what I am seeing on Ebay though that if I paired those two with the lenses and sold them I might make a few $$$$. The X700 does seem to have it's share of fans. I'm tempted to keep it but if I do that will be a bit of an indulgence. If I sold that bunch of gear it could well pay for my Spotties to be CLA'd so I'm thinking I might. It's tempting though to keep it. I've been playing with it. It's pretty cool from what I can tell. I can see why so many people seem to like it...
04-07-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Mag,
What a deal! Were you wearing a mask and did the guy have his hands in the air? LOL!
Just kidding, but for that price I couldn't resist, you stole this stuff. The black Spottie alone is worth more than you paid. Quite the deal-finder, you are.
Good luck, great find!
Ron
Nah, he just didn't really know what he had. He wasn't a shutterbug. Someone gave it all to him. He was happy for the $75. It wasn't a total steal. Spottie's shutter will need to be fixed and that's likely going to set me back a few bucks getting it CLA'd and fixed, but I always said that when I finally laid my hands on a black SPII I would go there. This whole thing was just sheer dumb luck actually. I saw the ad locally. I figured with my luck it would all be gone. When I see stuff like this I never end up getting it, always someone beats me to it, but I emailed him and it just so happened that I was the first one to reply I guess. He had a reason to be over here today besides. So he and I met up and that was that.

The Minolta was just a bonus IMHO. I went for the Taks and the Black Spottie of course. I had no idea that it was that 200MM though. Thought it was a 75-200 zoom of some sort. The 50MM? I thought it would be another more common 55 so I am I'm pretty pleased. I wasn't planning on adding to my Taks, but at that price? I'll take them definitely, particularly since I got a nice SPII in black out of the deal. I'll have to fork over another $100 probably to get it fixed but what the heck? It's not like I run across a black SPII every day...

Last edited by magkelly; 04-07-2012 at 08:54 PM.
04-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice score Mag!

04-08-2012, 12:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, though I've definitely got to send the SPII Eric's way. I was looking at it under my craft light and I noticed a broken wedge of glass sticking out and upwards sort of like a doorstop. Took it out gently with tweezers and out fell a couple of tiny pieces of glass but there was no actual mirror left. It's still sticking up too a bit, but there's no goop up in there to account for that but I can take it down to look without forcing it now that the glass wedged in there is gone.

The guy must have never touched his light seals or his bumpers ever, sigh. Probably let the camera go till there were not any and shattered the mirror. NOT a very nice thing to do to an SPII, particularly a black one. I emailed Eric and he kind of quoted me. It's not too bad but I may be sending him payments till it's all paid for if he'll allow that. I don't care how long it takes. I just want to see this baby restored to working condition. It's so pretty to look at otherwise. It would be a real shame just to junk it. I've still got a chrome Honeywell SPII actually that he can scavenge for parts if he needs to. Probably won't but I wouldn't mind sacrificing that one for this one if needed.

I'd still say it was a bargain even with the cost of repairing the SPII factored in. Every black SPII body I've seen CLA'd has been near $200 anyway. It will probably be a bit less to get Eric to do it and at least I will know it's been done right. Knowing him it will come back and working factory fresh, smile.

Last edited by magkelly; 04-08-2012 at 01:04 AM.
04-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you're already King then I'll have to be your queen but I don't look good in drag..

Great buy there.. well done.
04-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If you're already King then I'll have to be your queen but I don't look good in drag..

Great buy there.. well done.
Thanks, I mean the camera was King though, not me. Wrong gender....

Looks like I might not want to get too fond of this Minolta X-700 though. I could easily match this lot. I've got half a dozen decent lenses, and two bodies including the X-700, a flash et all. Converter too I think. $330 for one body and 3 lenses? I'm maybe more inclined to sell. I could probably get $450 then maybe and $450 is my 55-300 AF used, the SPII repairs and the CLA on the SPF. I don't see anything particularly rare in this lot lens-wise unless I am much mistaken. This camera with a few lenses seems to do quite well. Add in the extra XG-7 and a few more lenses and I just might have a money maker here...

Minolta X-700 35mm SLR Film body, 3 lens, flash, shutter release, 2 X teleconv (043325000140) | eBay
04-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I was joking but I'll stand rejected..
04-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No prob. I was too, laugh.