Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Seems like the grass is always greener...Nikon / Leica swap.

The OP's D700 Nikon wasn't making him happy any longer. Decided he needed a Leica for perfect happiness.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/232048-so-why-did-i-want-m9.html

I do relate to the post about the 'overloaded menu options' on many dslr's. Wish Pentax made a bare bones, high mp, hi quality dslr that was pretty basic and ran on 4 AA's.

But am not going to Leica anytime soon.

Anyone here use a Leica did? What do you think about em?

04-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote
The OP's D700 Nikon wasn't making him happy any longer. Decided he needed a Leica for perfect happiness.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-forum/leica-m9-forum/232048-so-why-did-i-want-m9.html

I do relate to the post about the 'overloaded menu options' on many dslr's. Wish Pentax made a bare bones, high mp, hi quality dslr that was pretty basic and ran on 4 AA's.

It depends on what one does with the gear. The M9 is an excellent camera. However, true rangefinders were never the ideal platform for macro work or extreme telephoto work.
04-09-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
Banned

its just an assumption of course, but reading that post, all I see is 'gear head'. his words give him away as nothing more than a gadget geek. he's far more concerned with equipment than taking photos. wether its a D700, and M8.2, a D800 or an M9. he won't be happy, because he'll always lust after something else. just my 0.02.
04-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slackercruster Quote

Maybe to the mentioned poster's world of big/heavy canikons it makes sense and offers a reduction in size/weight.
Very often, I find that ppl have their eyes and nose tuned up high and fail to see that Pentax (and in fact a lot of the MILCs) now offer good performance for less encumbrance.
The RF style of optical viewing and focusing is passe too imo. High quality EVF's or hybrid viewfinders to the job w/o parallax and with focusing aids (ie. peaking; magnification)

I can't relate to his reference to 'menu overload' either.
I'd rather prefer that they are there for me to choose to use them or not.
A DSLR like the K5 can be as simple as it can be if you don't allow yourself to reach for the menus.

04-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Pentaxian

We can make our cameras simple or as complicated as we want to. I'm mostly using my K10D with MF lenses these days. I choose my ISO, set the shutter speed and aperture manually. It operates just as my Spotmatic did except I use the green button as a starting point instead of the stop down meter control. Focus and shoot. I rarely scroll through the menus and I need the manual when I do. With Taks, I leave it in Av and shoot away with a quick look and a adjustment from time to time. We can use any of our cameras in a full auto setting and just shoot using the default settings with pretty good overall results. Nobody is going to make a digital camera without tons of menu options. The press and reviewers would hang them and bash the camera even though they know that most users never change a darn thing other than the flash settings.
04-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Quote of the day

"My recommendation is to stay out of camera shops. You will never be completely happy with any camera."
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Making the switch for better quality

yep I've had it ......... I'm burnt out, over done, too many bits and bytes, just can't deal anymore .. I'm switching to Caleikon
04-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
It depends on what one does with the gear. The M9 is an excellent camera. However, true rangefinders were never the ideal platform for macro work or extreme telephoto work.

I have an M9 and it is the best camera (outside of medium format) that I've ever owned optically, but... as mentioned in this quote; there are anumber of issues with literally any rangefinder. My best Leica lens - the 50mm f0.9 actually gets in the way of the standard rangefinder, and technically one has to use an optional optical one that attaches to the hotshoe - sound familiar??

-And then their's the paralex xompensation for truly wide angle lens and also for telephoto; one always has to leave a bit of extra room on the sides as to not to accidently edit something out. After time one gets used to it, but most rangefinders are not as ideal as SLT or even liveviews

04-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mark lj Quote
Quote of the day

"My recommendation is to stay out of camera shops. You will never be completely happy with any camera."
A friend sent me a quote on Facebook today. "The reason the grass looks greener on the other side is because it is well fertilized with BS."