Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which Would You Choose?
Leica M8 2141.18%
Nikon D3 3058.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 05:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Not this Leica you wouldn't - it is a digital Leica.
no kidding

01-12-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Sorry I wasn't sure if you understood. I apologize.
01-12-2008, 07:32 PM   #18
Veteran Member

No apology necessary, I should say if I had a leica it would be a film camera. My boss said he had an old one he would give me, but I haven't seen it yet.
01-13-2008, 03:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Assuming i could keep my current camera as well i wouldnt mind the leica....I'd love to have a pocketable camera in that class of imaging and interchangeable lenses. Rangefinders may not be the most practical camera but at the moment no one else is revisting the golden age of manual photography....with every camera upgrade and ground breaking feature the new dslr's are slowly turning into oversized point and shooters, perhaps even camcorders if some future speculations are to be believed. Kind of takes the fun and joy away from the image taking process imho.

Last edited by Kaimarx; 01-13-2008 at 03:46 AM.
01-16-2008, 04:06 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If I had to choose under your stipulations, I'd go with the D3 for two reasons:
1) I prefer SLR handling and viewfinders over those characteristics of rangefinders; and
2) Buying top Nikon glass would make me a permanently poor woman, while buying top Leica glass would leave nothing but a smoldering crater where my purse once was!
01-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Leica all the way. You'll never see me carrying a behemoth like that Nikon. Leicas have stood the test of time because they are small, quiet, and insanely well made. Sure, they've garnered a luxury market following, but it isn't for no reason. Best walkaround cameras ever.

The Maybach of cameras? Hardly. Maybachs are huge, ungainly things that shout conspicuous consumption. Leicas sit quietly out of the way, because they don't need to advertise their superiority to the world.

That said, the M8 isn't all that great -- the lenses are too close to the sensor, so A LOT of on-board processing has to occur to avoid horrible vignetting. Give me an MP and a slide scanner instead.
01-16-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can I say neither, I would rather have a 600mm F4!

would be about the same price range for the one in the forum 2 weeks ago

01-17-2008, 07:37 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Depends: which one can I sell for more used? I'd use the $$ to buy a semi-vintage film Leica and a couple of lenses. And/or a mint Rollei, or Mamya 6, or...
01-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
can I say neither, I would rather have a 600mm F4!

would be about the same price range for the one in the forum 2 weeks ago
QuoteQuote:
If your choice is neither - well, that is not an option! To participate in this poll you have to choose one or the other - period! (My poll - my rules! )
Yeesh! Read the fine print T.O. boy!

(How 'bout those Leafs, eh? - Wow, what a team they are this season, huh?!)
01-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Yeesh! Read the fine print T.O. boy!

(How 'bout those Leafs, eh? - Wow, what a team they are this season, huh?!)
I Know, I KNOW! your poll your rules no argument there, I guess by default (god I hate saying this) I would take the nikon and then sell it

re "how 'bout those Leafs, eh?"

Leafs? What Leafs? I have given up on them totally, I used to think that they wouldn't win the cup until the next centuary, while it came and went and my impression remains, it's just moved 100 years out

Last edited by Lowell Goudge; 01-17-2008 at 12:04 PM.
01-17-2008, 11:55 AM   #26
Forum Member

I shot with a Leica m3 and Nikon FM2 and N90s for years. I'm an old film leftover until i got my K10D recently.

I don't think you can really look at it as D3 vs. Leica.

I have always felt having a slr(s) and rangefinders and complementary. They both have different uses for different subject matter. If you need a quiet camera that is inconspicuous and you are happy with leica's prime lenses or vari lenses by all means it is the camera for you. If you need zoom lenses, telephoto lenses or do macro work an slr is going to be the best choice.

Since you have a K10D, are you happy with that being your slr? Does the Nikon system offer something that you need? If you are searching for the highest IQ the D3 is going to offer it.

I would choose the Leica, keep my K10D and use them both.

If Pentax would make a rangefinder for use with their limited lenses, life would be a lot easier
01-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for that link GaryML, a very nice article. Did anybody see the pictures that guy posted? After reading it I'm going with the Leica because if I had a Leica I think I'd be cool for the first time in my life! The thing is a jewel.
01-23-2008, 07:41 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Assuming i could keep my current camera as well i wouldnt mind the leica....I'd love to have a pocketable camera in that class of imaging and interchangeable lenses.
I'm with you there. I wouldn't mind putting that Leica up against my Canon G7 for an IQ test. I'd be curious to see who does better. For the price, Canon's G series is pretty darn good.

Heather
01-24-2008, 04:15 AM   #29
Inactive Account

I like Nikon D3. It's becoming a favourite among wildlife photographers. The D3 is all about speed and sensitivity, twelve megapixels on a big CMOS chip means large photosites and that adds up to base sensitivity of ISO 200 to 6400 with an additional two stop boost over that .