Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sony A99 prototype planned for August

According to PhotoRumors.com, the infamous A99 will be making its debut in late Aug. of this year.

In other news, it is said that Sony is planning to release a 36MP FF SLT system based-on a cost advantage. Which has prompted suggestions that a $2500 price tag may prove to be the ideal entry point. Whether or not this has any measure of truth to it remains to be seen, though it it does work-out to be the case, may be just the thing to put the fear or Oden into their competitors.

As for the design, the A99 is rumored to have a FF version of the A77 sensor that will use Sony's second generation hybrid SLT design(w/mirror-up CD-AF focusing) Which is good news as Sony's innovative SLT technology would need to prove itself as a viable competitor in the FF market in order to avoid ending-up on the side-lines. Whatever the case, it should prove to be a very interesting year for the FF market as the A99 takes its rightful place in the scene. To which I might add... I wonder if I'm going to have to keep this on the down low given that my wife has never gotten past her A900 experiences to this very day.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-18-2012 at 07:49 AM.
04-18-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
To which I might add... I wonder if I'm going to have to keep this on the down low given that my wife has never gotten past her A900 experiences to this very day.
Errr...was it a good or bad experience?

Looking at Nikon D800e stocks, it may be August by the time common folks like me gets one!
04-18-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Errr...was it a good or bad experience?
It was my wife's first FF DSLR experience. She worked with it in a studio under a colleague and it left an impression on her. Prior to that, she shot an APS-C Canon and didn't like it at all saying it lacked all the characteristics of film and that she wasn't interested in shooting DSLR's. That was until she got to shoot the A900, which she still talks about to this very day even while owning several Pentax camera's(K-5 included). TBH, I'm not fully convinced she hit a gold mine as much as she got the opportunity to work with people who knew how to process images and the likes. But who am I to argue, she has 10 years of film experience on me so I really can't claim to know for sure. Anyways, I'm not saying she doesn't like Pentax or anything, but the A900 still remains as that camera from which all camera's are measured against from her her experience. And so I'm thinking it might be a good idea to keep the A99 on the down low just to be safe

QuoteQuote:
Looking at Nikon D800e stocks, it may be August by the time common folks like me gets one!
I agree.
If Sony does good on delivery a camera focused on taking pictures rather than piling-on added modes and gadgets then they might just place themselves in a very lucrative position. I think an affordable FF solution may just fill a spot for people who aren't fully committed but interested in trying type a thing. I know I could put a FF to work our studio even though I don't have any proprietary glass for it. However, I have plenty of M42 FF lenses that would work just fine and so there's that to consider also. That being said, its unlikely that it would ever be a goto camera, but it could definitely prove to be useful. - if Sony can pull it off that is. There's just no way I would downgrade on low light performance from a K-5 for the added DOF. But that's just me.

Last edited by JohnBee; 04-18-2012 at 08:47 AM.