Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1. I use email for my alerts from specific organizations such as my banks, credit cards, Charities, etc. I rarely use it to communicate other than to my Grandma or Mother.
2. I only use beer or wine to cook. I don't like the taste of alcohol, but light beer is lousy for cooking.
3. Newspapers are a waste of paper.
4. I live in California, I need a car, even though I take the rail to work. I used to be a big hobbyist and went Autocrossing, but I don't have time for that anymore. I just need it to be transportation.
5. Landlines are a useless expense.
6. I have and always will hate cigarettes. I'm happy to see the young ditching the habit, maybe I'll have fewer a-holes blowing smoke in my face in the future. (Not all smokers are a-holes)
7. I use my desktop less and less, but I need a laptop PC at least. I do all my photo editing and gaming on a desktop. Tablets are just not there yet if that's what they're referring to.
8. I am so happy not to pay for cable anymore. We used to watch junk just because it was on. I am happy to stream what little I watch online or wait for it to be available on Netflix.

Also, I hate Facebook with a passion and I have no interest in Facebook, Twitter or any of that other crap.

04-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RoxnDox Quote
Age 52. Computer jockey by profession...

I read a daily newspaper. Much easier to skip over ads by flipping a page instead of waiting for the damn things to load and then scroll by.

Jim
Are you still using IE?
Heard of firefox, with adblock plug-in?
that, with a no-flash plug in block all the ads.

Lee
04-20-2012, 05:48 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Are you still using IE?
Heard of firefox, with adblock plug-in?
that, with a no-flash plug in block all the ads.

Lee
I use IE, FF, and Safari, depending on which computer I'm on. ad-block is useful but not perfect, I've had a lot of glitches using it in the past. And I can't go with a compete block on Flash because I have to deal with some work sites that require it... Besides, I just prefer paper.

Yes, I know in some ways that makes me a dinosaur, I'm ok with that

Jim
04-20-2012, 08:35 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

I'm way ahead of the FB generation on the TV thing. I dumped TV a long time ago.

Attached Images

04-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
Veteran Member

1. I use email a lot. I deal with a lot of clients, vendors, consultants, contractors, and subcontractors. There is no way they would use FB or IM to deal with the stuff that we deal with. I use FB, too. I have a few old friends that use it, but it is mostly to keep up with the younger parts of my family.

2. I don't drink much. As odd as it may sound, I feel like I should drink more for health reasons.

3. I buy a local paper almost every weekday. I am a sports junkie and I like to read the local writers at lunch. I would probably use our iPad, but I gave it to my wife for her birthday. I have used it probably 5 minutes total. She did promise to put my portfolio on it, and develop my webpage. Hasn't happened though.

4. I have a car. I live in CA, get real. Sometimes I like to go to the edge of nowhere. Try taking a bus there and back.

5. I wish that we could get rid of our landline. The freakin' home security system won't work without one though.

6. Tobacco, no. Never liked the depressing effect. Weed, infrequently. Doesn't seem to have any affect on me anymore. Tylenol, yes.

7. I do a lot of CAD, 3-D drawing and rendering. I need the power of a tower. I also like the fact that I can put the tower in a cabinet and not hear a thing.

8. TV, yes. I am a sports junkie. I wish that there were alternatives to cable or satellite, but politicians have conspired with the providers to screw the public. Not the first time something like that has happened.

Oh, yeah. I am old enough to remember the Apollo 11 moon landing. At least the studio simulation looked like the real thing at the time. LOL.

Last edited by lammie200; 04-22-2012 at 04:07 PM.
04-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Borderline 32.

1. Email, I pretty much use only at work or for sending messages to my parents, uncles/aunts, and basically those that don't IM or FB too often . Other than that, it's either IM, FB, Skype, text.
2. Light beer = water. Def not my favorite. But then again, I will pretty much drink anything with alcoholic content, save for maybe isopropyl alcohol.
3. I open a newspaper maybe once a year. When I'm in a waiting room somewhere, and my smartphone has died, and the only other thing to do is either watch the clock tick by or fall asleep. Otherwise, it's all online for me.
4. Still drive to/from work 30 mins each way, everyday. Sorry, Mother Earth.
5. Never had my own personal landline number, even now that I have a family. Seemed like an unnecessary cost on top of our mobile service.
6. Never ever in my life. Not the 4/20 kind either.
7. Desktop PC for about 90% of the stuff I do (personal/work artwork, browsing, photo ed., games, etc). Smartphone for the rest...My laptop is a POS. And I can't upgrade because of LBA.
8. Have basic cable. Hardly watch it. I only know the kids channels now coz of my son.
04-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Being old.....damn it's rough, but not all bad. I have money in the bank, lots of time to do what I want...or nothing at all. I get young guys to carry out my purchases at Home Depot, even though I am stronger than most of them.....and I don't have to waste time chasing striking blonds....I finally know better!

I can't possibly keep up with the latest technology, but neither can most others...young or old. The difference is, I know it, and young people assume they are born knowing everything, or will get an automatic update to their tiny brains if necessary.

BTW- Beware of old guys that tell you that something "makes them feel old". I saw one here a few posts up.......it's a sure sign they are even older than old Rupert.

Regards!

04-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I wonder what they are missing??

I miss "browsing" to find things, like in newspapers, libraries, etc ... where the most interesting stuff is not always what you went looking for.

I love the brevity and delay while composing in texting, but worry that content depth is even worse than power point.

I love these and other forums but hate how the good stuff is splattered all over the place over & over & over again.....
04-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #24
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Does anyone buy e-mail? That's why I'm not a fan of those stupid Yahoo stories, they make no sense or are so common sense it isn't news. But, reading the comments on a Yahoo story's page reminds me that common sense really isn't because it appears that people don't think.
04-21-2012, 04:21 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm rapidly becoming the old curmudgeon

Interesting. I can understand and even applaud some of their choices.
I was born at the tail end of the Baby Boom and here are my thoughts:

1. Email: I love email. Guess I'm just old-fashioned that way. BTW what's Facebook?

2. Beer: I love beer. Occasionally I even remember to have one on my nights off.

3. Newspapers: I love newspapers. Too bad I can't find a tabloid I can stand.
I detest reading news online.

4. Cars: A grudging necessity here on Long Island. I wish I could commute by train.

5. Landline phones: I hate cellphones but have one for emergencies and travel only.
I kept my POTS line when I switched to FIOS. I trust 150 year-old technology. Kinda like film...

6. Cigarettes: I grew up in a house where both parents smoked two packs a day.
So by my calculations I second-hand smoked a total of four packs a day.
My old man died of Camels at 52. I'll give you one guess where I stand on this one.

7. Desktop computers: Since the late 1980's I have always owned desktops.
I have owned a couple of mediocre laptops but still rely on a desktop for my modest needs.
Laptops offer a lot of bang for the buck now, so not sure if that will change in future.

8. Television: I own a Proton television. Love my 500 channels of nothing on.
HBO helps me fall asleep when I get home from work in the morning.
I can't stand watching video anything on a computer screen.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-22-2012 at 12:03 PM.
04-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #26

I still buy beers and television! If I get my next computer it's probably a desktop too (iMac)!
04-22-2012, 10:33 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Freedom 55 is fast approaching, so…

1) Email yes, I don’t do Facebook or twitter.
2) I live in Canada, we don’t do much “lite” beer. I don’t drink much anyways.
3) Yes love reading newspapers when I go out for a coffee.
4) Car yes, it’s nice to go on a drive with my wife and camera gear in tow! I also do a lot of walking.
5) Landline yes, I hate cell phones and only use one for work.
6) Never smoked in my life.
7) Laptop with a docking station, takes up less room in a condo.
8) TV yes, I don’t watch anything online other that the odd youtube video.

Phil.
04-22-2012, 11:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

7. Desktop computers

If you're serious about your photo and video editing, among other things demanding performance, you'll want more than a laptop screen. So obviously they are just posting their photo and video snaps off the camera.

And the perception of new computer generation being so tech savvy is mostly among the few as it has always been, I feel. They are mostly end users of the tech. Put a shell in front of them or ask them to work on a headless computer and you get a dear in the headlight stare. They are lost without a GUI for the majority. Not very tech savvy, IMHO.

Last edited by tuco; 04-22-2012 at 11:11 AM.