Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 07:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I feel so old: 8 things the facebook gen won't buy

Eight Products the Facebook Generation Will Not Buy - Yahoo! Finance

QuoteQuote:
1. Email

In 2010, at the launch of Facebook’s then-new messaging service, Mark Zuckerberg predicted the decline of electronic mail, stating that “Email is too slow … email is too formal.” Time is proving Zuckerberg right. From December 2009 to December 2010, time spent using email by the 12- to 17-years-old age group dropped a tremendous 59%. In comparison, time spent using email by people 55 to 64-years-old has
increased 22%, and it has increased 28% among those 65 years and older.

2. Beer

Light beer has become to the current generation of youth what regular beer was just a few decades ago. In 1990, more Budweiser was sold than the top three light beers combined. Twenty years later, Budweiser has taken a backseat to Bud Light, which sold as much as the top four regular beers combined. The country has taken a major generational shift in favor of light beers, which now account for four of the five most popular beers sold domestically. As reported by St. Louis Today, Budweiser believes four out of 10 people in their mid-20s have never tried regular beer. In 1988, that rate was just 1.5 out of ten. Beer Marketer’s Insights editor Eric Shepard said when asked about young drinkers turning to light beer, “The heaviest beer drinkers are young males and that’s where the market had been going over the last decade or so.”

3. Newspapers

While readership rates for print newspapers are falling across the board, the country’s younger generation has abandoned the medium the most. As of 2010, only 7% of 18- to 24-year-olds reported having read a print newspaper the day before, according to the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press. This is the first time that figure has reached single digits. This age group also has among the highest rates of people reportedly receiving news through social networking sites or Twitter.

4. Cars

As recently as 1998, 64.4% of potential drivers ages 19 and younger had drivers licenses, according to the Federal Highway Administration. As of 2008, that amount had dropped to 46.3%. Additionally, 46% of drivers aged 18 to 24 report that they would choose Internet access over owning a car, according to research firm Gartner. People are also waiting longer to get their licenses. According to the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute, in 1983 one-third of all licensed drivers in U.S. were under 30. Today, only 22% of drivers are under 30. Companies such as General Motors (NYSE: GM) have reached out to more youth-oriented advertising companies, such as MTV Scratch, to address this widening gap in their sales.

5. Landline phones

Landline phones are losing popularity among Generation Y, who are becoming increasingly content with only having wireless phones. According to a report from the National Center for Health Statistics, 51.3% of Americans aged 25 to 29 lived in households with only wireless phones in the first six months of 2010. This is the first time the number of adults in wireless-only households has been greater than the num
ber of adults in landline households for any age group. When looking at all ages combined, less than one-quarter of adults lived in households with only wireless phones.

6. Cigarettes

Smoking rates among young people have historically exceeded those of the general population. Now that group is dropping the habit quicker than anyone. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the share of people 18 to 24 years of age who were current cigarette smokers decreased by 17.6% from 2005 to 2010 — the largest decrease among any age group. The share among 45- to 64-year-olds dropped only 3.6%. The amount of Americans 65 and older who smoke actually increased 10.5%.

7. Desktop computers

Millennials are the only generational group to be more likely to own a laptop computer than a desktop. According to data from Pew Research Center, 70% own a laptop, while 57% own a desktop. By contrast, 64% of those aged 57-65 own a desktop, while only 43% own a laptop. Ranjit Atwal, research director at Gartner, states in LAPTOP Magazine that those in Generation Y simply “are not buying PCs as their first, or necessarily main, device.”

8. Television

Adults aged 18 to 24 watch less traditional television than any other age group in the country, according to Nielsen’s most recent Cross Platform Report. That group, on average, watches just under 24 hours per week. The national average is approximately 32.5 hours. One of the leading reasons for this difference is Generation Y’s relationship with the Internet. According to a report published in April 2010 by electronics review/research company Retrevo, 23% of those under 25 watch “most” of their television online, compared to 8% for everyone.

04-20-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteQuote:
............................states in LAPTOP Magazine that those in Generation Y simply “are not buying PCs as their first, or necessarily main, device.”
I must be getting old. I can remember when PC meant Personal Computer. Apparently now laptops aren't PCs.
04-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Site Supporter

A laptop is a "laptop PC". I'm 33:

1. email I use alot
2. beer I used to drink a lot (no light), now my stomach cant handle it, booze/wine only
3. I get most news online
4. I have a car and love cars but hope to get rid of mine soon, too much traffic/costs
5. landline, please I havent had one of these for at least 12 years
6. cigarettes yuck, but today is 4/20....
7. Desktop computer is still my preference, max power and lowest price
8. TV, I dont have cable, I use boxee and stream/dl all content (some over the air free HD channels too)

So some of it is age, and some is just that we live in a different world than we did 10-20 years ago technologically and otherwise. Having a landline and reading printed papers makes less sense than it did when they were the only options

Last edited by Deimos; 04-20-2012 at 09:30 AM.
04-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm an early Boomer. How young am I, culturally?

1. Email: I don't FB but I don't get much email either. It's my commo path of necessity, not chat.
2. Beer: I'm not allowed that any more. Nor stronger stuff either. But I've always been a wino.
3. Newspapers: Something to read in waiting rooms. For news, I"ve got the Net and maybe NPR.
4. Cars: I live in and traverse remote areas without public transport. I need cars. And a moped.
5. Landline phones: See #4. Ain't no wireless in steep canyons. The landline supplies DSL+Net.
6. Cigarettes: I smoked cigs between ages 15-25. Now it's a very occasional good (Cuban) cigar.
7. Desktop computers: I depended on these from 1980-1995. Only big+little laptops since then.
8. Television: We still get the cable feed for movies and music, but I gave up on TV decades ago.

So I'm of mixed modernity. Or is that schizo?

A lot of this applies to people in urban areas. Those of us outside megalopolitan anthills live with very different infrastructure and culture. I may yet move to San Francisco for awhile, to be near grandkids. My car-landline-chat-newspaper situations would change. These summaries of national trends need to be broken down by geography.

Last edited by RioRico; 04-20-2012 at 09:33 AM.
04-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

my kids (7 and 9) got into my LP record collection recently and they refer to them as "dad's big CD's". At first i didn't get it and now it cracks me up that the only frame of reference they have for recorded audio is a CD or mp3.

i agree with some of these shifts.

I stopped reading newspapers years ago. i dont want the ink on my fingers, yuck!
I switched to facebook messaging over email unless it is someone not on facebook(yes, there are some people), or i am sending attachments, which fb shrinks.
The landline phone sits here and actually rings once in awhile, but we only give out our cell #'s and i never check the landline messages, so it is quite irrelevant.
04-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. Email is more immediate than snail mail, and texting (& IM) is more immediate than email, so this makes sense.

2. Sadly, too many people drink simply to get buzzed/drunk. You can do that as well with sh*tty "light" beer as you can with "regular" beer.

3. Yup. I enjoy not getting ink on my fingers.

4. Used to be getting your DL was a right of passage. With increasing urbanization and widespread stores & food chains, these figures are not a surprise.

5. Expected. I still have landline.

6. Just say no.

7. Since, for many people, computers are merely a portal for virtual socialization, it makes sense that little computers - smartphones & tablets - will erode the market.

8. I'd be happy with a TV w/o a "service", but my g/f would freak out.
04-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sorry, but I'm disputing #4. Car sales support me on this. As to the driver's licenses below 19, that is a direct result of states issuing restricted licences and making them more difficult to obtain the first time around.

As for the rest, could be!

04-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

2 - Hopefully in my country (France) light beer is ... nonexistent !!!!
04-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
Pentaxian

So these kids who won't get off my lawn have no taste when it comes to beer. Not surprising.
04-20-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
2 - Hopefully in my country (France) light beer is ... nonexistent !!!!
Ah, we must acknowledge the wisdom of the French! Light "lite" beer is an abomination. I wonder if light beer meets the German standards of identity.
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Ah, we must acknowledge the wisdom of the French! Light "lite" beer is an abomination. I wonder if light beer meets the German standards of identity.
I recall an old English song that starts:
I'm the man, the very man
That waters the workers' beer
In Britain he's a bastard scum. In USA he's mainstream. Thus does USA go to hell.
04-20-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Age 52. Computer jockey by profession...

Email and IM is my whole work day (I am a team lead for a group of programmers scattered around the country). At home, email. Facebook - I have it but hardly ever log on because its interface sucks rocks and 99% of the "content" people post is crap...

I prefer real beer!

I read a daily newspaper. Much easier to skip over ads by flipping a page instead of waiting for the damn things to load and then scroll by.

Cars - sorry but it's way too inconvenient and time-consuming for me to commute by the little public transit available. And it's hard to carry my scuba gear around on bus

Got a landline phone, hell yeah. Also wireless - I don't care for having single-point-of-failure comm.

Cigarettes - never did 'em, never will

I have had a mix of desktop and laptop PCs for years, and probably will for a long time. At the moment, we have 3 desktops, 3 laptops, 1 netbook, and assorted iPads, iPods, and net-capable game/tv/DVR things on the home network.

TV - cable - every streaming video I've ever watched has had interruptions and pauses while it gets the next bit of data, and it aggravates the hell out of me. So no, no internet TV for me.

Jim
04-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I guess I'd be "Gen X"...

1. Email: Use it at work quite a bit - only use it at home when I need to respond to some sort of online registration, password reset, etc

2. Beer: In my younger days I slammed the stuff several times per week, now I don't drink, so no.

3. Newspapers: I used to have two subscriptions - now, none, although I pick up a paper copy at work sometimes to read while eating lunch (still prefer it to reading editions online.)

4. Cars: Absolutely.

5. Landline phones: Not for the last three years. Skype & Cell covers that need better.

6. Cigarettes: Smoked a bunch of cigarettes in one sitting once when I was 14, got deathly ill, have not been able to touch tobacco since.

7. Desktop computers: Not for a couple years, but I do want to get a nice one again with SSD drive for OS, lotsa RAM, etc, for image processing. You can get a lot of power for little money these days.

8. Television: Will not give up the man-cave and big screen, although I'm watching probably at least 50% less than I did 15 years ago.

04-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I don't know which generation I'm supposed to belong to, but let's say I'm closer to 50 than 40 by now. And yet many of these items apply to me.

1. Email: I still use a lot of email, but often rather PM my buddies on Facebook. And yes, I'm on FB despite being an old geezer.

3. Newspapers: I find it annoying that I read stuff on newspapers that I already read online a day or two earlier. And if needed, I have already dug deeper on the topic by the time the newspaper publishes a first piece of news. Heck, I'd stop the order today if it wasn't for the missus who still prefers retronews.

5. Landline phones: Haven't had one for years. It helps that while here in Finland we usually have to pay a lot for almost everything, cell phone calls are relatively cheap.

6. Cigarettes: I've never smoked enough worth mentioning, but in my social circles it has quickly become a diminishing habit up to the point that almost the only people smoking are the ones whose life isn't so well balanced in other ways either.

7. Desktop computers: I still have some, but use my laptop or iPad 95% of the time.
04-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
Banned

And I bet the FB gen are shooting more stills and HD video on the iPhone than any camera ever made .