What's your current 3W?

My golf buddies say i have to stop using my R7 with the lady's shaft

04-22-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
What's your current 3W?

I still use the Callaway woods (1,3,4,5) that I inherited from my father. I think that they are the first or second generation. No super larger heads. I have not made the transition to the cantalope sized heads or hybrid-type woods/irons. When everything goes right I can hit a drive about 280 yards.

I like the Callaway woods, but I use 60's era Haig Ultra II irons. They are forged blades with zero hosels. In other words, the shafts go all the way into the heads without heavy head material flaring out to accept the shafts. With this design the center of gravity is truly at the sweet spot on the forged head. The feel of hitting a ball is no where near comparable to that of using a cast cavity back iron.

I custom fitted all my clubs myself by lengthening the shafts and regripping them with the correct diameter grips. I also put dampening bushings inside the shafts. I haven't needed lie adjustments, but if I did I would have to take them somewhere to do that. I always tell people that golf clubs are made to be custom fitted. If you hit off-the-shelf sets well you are lucky. I also think that if more people had their clubs custom fitted they would enjoy the sport much more.

Just as a side note: During the 90's I worked for Callaway designing their performance centers and testing labs. It was a lot of fun and very state-of-art at the time.
04-22-2012, 09:06 AM   #3
Banned

I used to caddy at the Grienbrier; White Sulfer Springs.

Although I do have a full set of fully measured Ping's; I'm not all that good as a golfer, but - one the other hand I have broken eighty a few times.
04-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
...I have broken eighty a few times.
That is about the best I can do, too. Nothing to be ashamed of is what I have always been told. Of course, if my life would have taken a different path I would have been able to play more I suppose. No regrets though.

04-22-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I used to caddy at the Grienbrier; White Sulfer Springs.

Although I do have a full set of fully measured Ping's; I'm not all that good as a golfer, but - one the other hand I have broken eighty a few times.
I have a set of PING irons too and i hack up everyones course; public, semi-private and private. I go out for air and a good walk, i leave the golfing to the "aspiring pros"
04-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
So i cleaned out my bag looked at my drill, looked at my RTG SW with all that nurtured rust and said what the heck....took of the rust *lol* for those non-golfers RTG heads are suppose to rust as it gives better grip "supposedly"
Changed all my grips for this season with my favourites "lambkin crossline full cord" as i play sans glove(s).
For the longest i've been telling people my S wedge is a 58 well i know better now

*Pentax QwSonnetar25@1.4*
04-25-2012, 08:14 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
What's your current 3W?

Machismo is rampant on the course. If you're hitting the ball well then why bother changing the club.

At one time i was a 9 handicapper over the last 4 years I've played maybe 12 rounds of golf, my handicap now is 17.
I've decided to start playing on a regular basis again and so far this season I've got 8 rounds of 18 and the last two were both @79.

My clubs are fitted pings and the woods are all Cobra's that are 5 years old. I've tried Ping G20's and a few other brands and I hit and
control the ball exactly the same with them all.

Why would I spend nearly $750+ for a new set of woods that do nothing to improve my game? Why would anyone!

04-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

3W? Titleist. Model 904?? maybe-can't recall exactly....

As for irons...Ping-eye 2 Beryllium-copper, square groove...I've tried others, but always return to these babies...