Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Oh my dog yeah... the best US source for US news is the Comedy Channel! Seriously.
Pretty sad that Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert is where most people go for news now. Funnily enough I find Stewart more balanced than Fox and yet he's deliberately trying to provoke

05-02-2012, 03:24 AM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why Is the Conservative Brain More Fearful? The Alternate Reality Right-Wingers Inhabit Is Terrifying | Media | AlterNet
05-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Hahah, here's another one. I may have posted it already....can't remember:

Low-Effort Thought Promotes Political Conservatism
05-02-2012, 09:43 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I guess Shepherd Smith may get a pass...

Shep Smith reacts to Mitt Romney reacting to Newt Gingrich quitting - YouTube

05-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Shep's generally awesome. Speaking of weird, how does that guy manage to survive at FOX?
05-03-2012, 07:46 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Todd Adamson Quote
Shep's generally awesome. Speaking of weird, how does that guy manage to survive at FOX?
I've seen him called "f*ggott" in right-leaning forums. Generally it seems the typical Fox News devote doesn't 'get' why Shepard Smith doesn't always say all the same things the rest of he wingnuts on the channel do.
05-04-2012, 10:09 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Daily Kos: Fox News: Stealth GOP super PAC

05-04-2012, 06:28 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
From mediamatters:

QuoteQuote:
Fox News routinely violates journalistic ethics. Last week, Media Matters noted that Fox News has aggressively promoted Karl Rove's Super PAC American Crossroads, often without disclosing Rove's connection to either American Crossroads or Fox News.

I will keep saying this: What Fox News does is not harmless, other-side-of-the-coin crap - it's dangerous. It's Orwellian.

05-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"America's Poison"

QuoteQuote:
"...And yet I would argue that — at least for Americans — Fox News is Murdoch’s most toxic legacy.

My gripe against Fox is not that it is conservative. The channel’s pulpit-pounding pundits, with the exception of the avuncular Mike Huckabee, are too shrill for my taste, but they are not masquerading as impartial newsmen. Nor am I indignant that Fox News is the cultural home of the Republican Party and a nonstop Obama roast. Partisan journalism, while not my thing, has a long tradition. Though I do wonder if the folks at Fox appreciate that this genre is more European than American.

My complaint is that Fox pretends very hard to be something it is not, and in the process contributes to the corrosive cynicism that has polarized our public discourse.

I doubt that people at Fox News really believe their programming is “fair and balanced” — that’s just a slogan for the suckers
— but they probably are convinced that what they have created is the conservative counterweight to a media elite long marinated in liberal bias. They believe that they are doing exactly what other serious news organizations do; they just do it for an audience that had been left out before Fox came along.

I would never suggest that what is now called “the mainstream media” — the news organizations that most Americans depended on over the past century — achieved a golden mean. We have too often been condescending to those who don’t share our secular urban vantage point. We are too easily seduced by access. We can be credulous. (It’s also true that we have sometimes been too evenhanded, giving equal time to arguments that fail a simple fact-check.)

But we try to live by a code, a discipline, that tells us to set aside our personal biases, to test not only facts but the way they add up, to seek out the dissenters and let them make their best case, to show our work. We write unsparing articles about public figures of every stripe — even, sometimes, about ourselves. When we screw up — and we do — we are obliged to own up to our mistakes and correct them.

Fox does not live by that code. (Especially the last part. In a speech at the University of North Carolina last month, Ailes boasted, “In 15 years, we have never taken a story down because we got it wrong.” Gosh, even the pope only claims to be infallible on special occasions.) For a salient point of reference, compare Fox’s soft-pedaling of the Murdoch troubles with the far more prominent coverage in The Wall Street Journal, which has managed under Murdoch’s ownership to retain its serious-journalism DNA."
From ---> Bill Keller, NYT Op-Ed

05-06-2012, 02:34 AM   #40
Veteran Member

I only needed to watch the Mass Effect debate to make me ignore them completely.
Closed Thread