Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Minolta Sex for Sale

I can't decide whether I should tell the guy or not....

Minolta Sex

01-14-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey, now that's a camera that can truly do everything. Don't tell him, at least not until most everyone has had a chance to have a good smile about it.

stewart
01-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I also busted somebody selling a Kodak box brownie, saying it takes 6x9 photos and gets 12 shots from a roll of 120. Neat trick. Four of them must be taken on air. I left a comment to that effect, plus shared the news that the camera uses 116 film, which was discontinued in 1984. Sure, you can shim up 120 film and use it, but this seller obviously knew nothing about what he was selling.

I have more respect for the guy selling Minolta Sex.

Maybe if Pentax would come out with a model called the Pentax Sex market share would go up? Over here the Canon Rebel is marketed as the Kiss. Maybe Pentax could release a prosumer Pentax Sex and an entry-level Pentax Stink Finger?
01-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Inactive Account

A question for Mike.

I have a very old Agfa Shur-Shot box camera. We found it in an attic about 30 years ago. It is in pretty good condition and a sticker on the inside says to use B-2 Agfa Plentachrome. Would that be 620 film?

01-14-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The always helpful Matt Denton says it is the same as 120. Load that puppy up and have some retro fun. I had a lot of fun using my 80 year old Kodak box brownie last week. And the photos actually all came out pretty good. I used Velvia 100. You have to judge whether to shoot or not by the amount of light, since exposure controls are non-existant and slide film isn't nearly so tolerant as negative film. Just be sure to read Denton's notes on the camera, taking especial notice of the quirks of the shutter lever. Otherwise you'll have lots of double exposures on your hands. And develop the old "CSA" (Cock, Shoot, Advance) habit as well in order to prevent double exposures. Unless you have a firm routine it is the easiest thing in the world for we of the modern era to completely forget about advancing the film. Today when I went to shoot my dancing girls I swapped back and forth between the K100D and the old SV. It was sort of funny when I found my thumb reaching for the film advance lever while shooting the K100D.

By the way, I decided to examine other auctions by the person I mentioned earlier. I found one he was passing off as a camera from 1910, saying it was a half-frame camera that takes 72 shots per roll. I researched the thing and found it was from 1935 or later and used a proprietary film size that disappeared when the camera company went bust in the 1950s. And even when it was available it only took 6 pictures per roll. I left him a nastygram.
01-14-2008, 07:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Thanks Mike - helpful and knowledgeable; as always.

I am dropping off an exposed roll of 120 today so I will for sure pick up a few more.

It looks like this, but says B-2 on the strap and inside. The shutter is, as you probably know, is done by a flick of the wrist and a snap of a spring! It looks like it may be a light-leaker, too. I have some very thin foam strips for sealing rangefinders, maybe it will work on the back door of this camera.

It also has little wings that fold in to allow the taking of half-frame pictures. A techno-marvel of the 30's!

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:28 AM.
01-15-2008, 04:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'll share with you a little post-processing trick I used to improve the contrast and colors on the shots I linked to. It is a variation of the split-tone process for black and white. I use The GIMP, but you should be able to approximate it on any other decent processing software that allows layers:

1. Make two duplicates of the base layer.
2. Make two blank layers, any color (we're going to change them)
3. Using "bucket fill", color one blank layer orange and the other a medium brown
4. Arrange the layers to you have from top to bottom: orange, base copy, brown, base copy, base.
5. Select the orange layer, blend mode "Overlay", merge down.
6. On that merged layer, add layer mask as "grayscale copy of image"
7. Repeat #5 and #6 for the brown layer, but make the layer mask in inverted grayscale copy
8. Select the orange layer, blend mode "Divide" and adjust to about 60~70%. This will allow you to manipulate the blues of the sky and the highlights in general.
9. Select the brown layer, blend mode "Addition" if you really need to bring out the shadows. Otherwise, try "Hard Light" or some of the other modes. Again, about 60~70% is good.
10. If you want to adjust the saturation, add a new white layer, select blend mode "Saturation" and adjust the percentage to your taste.

Then you just merge all visible layers and do whatever else you normally do, such as curves, USM, etc.

You might want to get a piece of black paper or something to put over the red window to reduce the chance of fogging the film. Just tape it on and double one edge of the tape under a little bit to make it easy to lift it up and put it back between shots.

01-15-2008, 08:58 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Thanks for the trade secret, Mike! I will definitely give it a try. First I need some 120 film. It is all but impossible in this town. I found a site called the frugal photographer that is right up my alley. He is selling some Chinese B&W film for $2.49 a roll. He also has several suggestions for home developing of film. Quite a bit of interesting info here as well.
01-15-2008, 10:11 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think that it's been long enough Mike, you might want to let him know about his error. If it isn't too late.

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I also busted somebody selling a Kodak box brownie, saying it takes 6x9 photos and gets 12 shots from a roll of 120. Neat trick. Four of them must be taken on air. I left a comment to that effect, plus shared the news that the camera uses 116 film, which was discontinued in 1984. Sure, you can shim up 120 film and use it, but this seller obviously knew nothing about what he was selling.
If I remember correctly a 6x7 is around 12 images, although I've never shot one.
I know that 645 are 15 or 16 images, depending upon the camera.
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Thanks for the trade secret, Mike! I will definitely give it a try. First I need some 120 film. It is all but impossible in this town. I found a site called the frugal photographer that is right up my alley. He is selling some Chinese B&W film for $2.49 a roll. He also has several suggestions for home developing of film. Quite a bit of interesting info here as well.
Jeff, your local camera store should be able to order in a 5 pack, or a 10 pack for you at a reasonable price.
If they aren't willing to let me know, and I'll look into my costs, and the price of mailing it to you.

As long as I buy the entire package at once I'm given very good rates on it. And I'd be willing to split it up if you only want a few rolls.
01-16-2008, 02:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Check out the Arista EDU black and white film in 120 size. Very economical and I've seen some very good photos posted on Flickr that were shot with it. Someday I intend to order a metric buttload of it as even with international shipping it will still be much cheaper for me than buying 120 film here in Japan.
01-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Thanks Mike for the link - that's a keeper for sure! There are located in the US and that could cause some headaches shipping - but I will definitely keep an open mind.

Thanks also Stu I appreciate your offer and will definitely consider it. The local shop will order 5 packs but the cheapest is $10/roll! I will take my chances ordering on-line to China first! I want this to be an exercise in frugality, not stupidity! I am sure he sees 'sucker' written on my forehead. In addition to film I will also need a developer - powder based would be the easiest to ship. I already have a couple of tanks and other darkroom equipment already and bought a film changing bag on Ebay yesterday. I'll do some more checking locally and see what I can come up with; if that is turns out to be '5/8ths of f*** all' - I'll email you!