Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Free Ticket *Anywhere* in the World....

Because I am deployed to Afghanistan for a year, the Army gives us two weeks of leave (technically 15 days) that is free and not chargeable. The beautiful thing about it though, is that they will fly you to any major airport on the globe. FREE.

I am of the personal philosophy that anyone that uses that opportunity to just go home is nucking futs and requires a medical evaluation, much to my family's chagrin. I plan to milk the military for global conquest, and this is but another opportunity (19 countries and going strong, thanks Uncle Sam!). Brasil was originally on the table, but because the flights would be long as hell, and it wouldn't be TOO expensive to go there when I return to the States (after the deployment I return to Germany, where I am currently stationed for 2 more years), so I ruled Brasil out.

Thailand, Australia, and/or New Zealand (the "and" would require an extreme amount of coaxing and efficient planning) are the ones that seem to remain on my list.

I am looking for "best bang for the buck" in terms of how to most effectively use up those 15 days.

Now a little about me, so that any recommendations can be tailored to that. I am extremely active (my idea of a good time is hiking for 10 hours for a 10 min sunset). To give a bit of perspective - Mt. Kilimanjaro is on my list for Christmas 2013, but I digress. Obviously, photography is extremely important to me, and I would most likely bring my K-5 and most, if not all, my lenses. But I would probably come to my senses upon packing and narrow down to 2-3 max.

I may or may not be bringing my girlfriend, who is equally active and fit.

Any ideas? What would you do?

Many thanks,
Heie

04-25-2012, 01:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Someplace exotic and tropical-Bali, Tahiti-along those lines. BTW, thanks for serving.
04-25-2012, 02:45 AM   #3
rhe
Closed Account

We recently returned from a 15 day trip to Sri Lanka. What a beautiful country with plenty of scenery, history, and delicious food! Highly recommended.
04-25-2012, 02:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To pack a lot into a short trip you could do worse than 2 weeks in Thailand with short hops into Laos and Cambodia.

04-25-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Morocco is fantastic, and you could definitely fit a lot into two weeks there, like the Atlas mountains and Marrakesh. So many photo ops in that city, I wish I'd been into photography when I went there and had had more than a mobile phone for pictures.
04-25-2012, 03:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Fly to Brisbane or Cairns and explore the Top End of Aus. Port Douglas, the Daintree, Kakadu, etc. Places I've never been to, in my own country!

Regards
04-25-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

....just talking with my youngest son last night. He retired last year, 22 years Lt Col...and lives 15 minutes from Lackland in San Antonio. He can fly anywhere...anytime...can't beat a deal like that! He spent about 10 years in Germany, loved it and can now visit back with his friends as often as he wants. It's not like First Class on Lufthansa, but it works!

Hope you take advantage of every opportunity you have, you guys have earned it.

Regards

04-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Langtang National Park in Nepal?
04-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I hear that it is a good time to visit Myanmar, you never know how long the current mood of the junta will remain as open to outsiders and from what I understand it is like visiting a time capsule. If I had the opportunity to do that trip I would.
04-25-2012, 09:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

NZ, Borneo (sensational beaches, wonderful scuba, mountain and jungle trekking all in one holiday based in Kota Kinabalu), Fiji - anywhere else in the South Pacific.

NZ seems tailor made for you and your GF though.
04-26-2012, 02:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

What time of year (month) will you be taking these 2 weeks. Knowing that may make a huge impact on where I'd recommend.

Jason
04-26-2012, 08:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I couldn't imagine not going to NZ if I were in your shoes.
04-26-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

i'm in the go Thailand with side trips (like Angkor Wat in Cambodia before it's completely stripped clean by thieves )
that one is definitely on my to do list
04-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
i'm in the go Thailand with side trips (like Angkor Wat in Cambodia before it's completely stripped clean by thieves )
that one is definitely on my to do list
I would plus one this. I have done a lot of extensive backpacking in the developing world and this is a great area to start.

Beautiful, nice people, lots to see, inexpensive, great food. Many photo opps of all kinds, any kind of activities you might want to do. And pretty safe, clean and easy. The Angkor temples in Cambo are among the greatest sites in the entire world IMO and well well worth a visit (thieves did their thing years ago, now it is the hordes of package tourists from asia killing it) still well well worth it. Laos and Cambodia would def be recommended but both are a bit more raw than thailand fyi.

You could easily do 15 days in just one area of any of these countries. My number one piece of advice would be "less is more" ie dont try to see everything and cram too much into your two weeks.

Pick 2-4 nice destinations you want to see in the region/country and focus on enjoying those locations rather than doing a whirlwind tour. (maybe a city (BKK), a historical site (angkor/sukhothai) and a beach for example (pick an island).)

Have fun!

Oh for SE Asia www.travelfish.org is a great free travel guide with up to date info...

Last edited by Deimos; 04-26-2012 at 09:07 AM.
04-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
You could easily do 15 days in just one area of any of these countries. My number one piece of advice would be "less is more" ie dont try to see everything and cram too much into your two weeks.

Pick a 2-4 nice spots you want to see in the region/country and focus on enjoying those locations rather than doing a whirlwind tour.
that's a better way to do it. Personally i tend to pick an area rent an apartment or house and move in for 1-2 weeks and really get to know the local area. one of the reasons i haven't done asia is with limited vacation time I don't feel i can do it justice. At some point i will pick a zone and spend 6 - 8 weeks there , then another later after i pay off the first