Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 12:32 AM   #16

a pink k-r

I wonder why so many people have many different cameras? I would think I'd sell my k-r if I want an upgrade in the future..

04-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by junototoro Quote
I wonder why so many people have many different cameras?
Reasons, rationales and regrets:

* They just happened -- Like, I bought batch-lots of stuff that included camera bodies and I never brought myself to sell them all.
* They're inherited or keepsakes or childhood friends -- I have as many of my Dad's and some uncles' film cameras as I could find.
* They mark personal evolution -- I keep my old digicams because they still work, I can see where I've come, and some are disposable.
* They're different tools for different purposes -- Some models are just better at certain tasks. And sometimes a backup is needed.
* They mark obsessive-compulsive behaviour -- The voices in my head my tell me to get a certain camera. I always obey my voices.

QuoteQuote:
I would think I'd sell my k-r if I want an upgrade in the future..
If you upgrade to the 645D or the impending K-FF, you *might* want to keep the Kr around because it's small-light-handy. If you downgrade to a Q, you might want the Kr for its greater capabilities.

I don't upgrade. I supplement. I use various cams for various types of shooting, but getting a new cam doesn't mean that it makes sense to chuck all the oldies. They still have their purposes.

In film days, I started with a viewfinder cam, then a rangefinder, then a TLR, then an SLR, then more VFs and RFs in different formats -- and I used them all for different sorts of shoots. (Not to forget the oatmeal-carton pinhole camera.)

With digicams, I started with a basic P&S -- which can still do things that more recent cams can't. Then I got a couple advanced P&S's, then one modified for IR (infrared), then one that's waterproof+shockproof, and then my K20D. The K20D doesn't obsolete all the other cams -- they're smaller and specialized. Different tools for different tasks.

Many folks don't need or want more than one cam at a time. That's fine. And many of us, not just pros or techs or enthusiasts, find that way too limiting. And some of us are just anal-compulsive gatherers, accumulators, hoarders. Tsk tsk.
04-26-2012, 02:23 AM   #18

What if I upgrade from k-r to k-5? No need to keep the k-r really is there?
04-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

What if I upgrade from k-r to k-5? No need to keep the k-r really is there?
That's up to you. I've thought of supplementing my K20D with a Kx or Kr or even K-01. A K5 wouldn't pry the K20D away from me because 1) it's still a fine tool and 2) I'd be happy with a backup. But I'm in no hurry to move to a more advanced dSLR. Partly because I can't afford one.

A parallel: You'll see some folks with a K10D as well as a K5, and they keep that old camera because it's superb at what it does. Those have different sensor types (CMOS vs CCD). The K10D is more suited for astrophotography and other long-exposure applications, and lends a tone to studio shots that newer cameras don't match.

My oversimplified+distorted perception: The Kr is a 'fun' camera, the K5 is a 'work' camera. But no, there may not be enough difference between them to justify keeping both. Unless you want a backup. Or to have bodies with totally different lenses, with a walkaround zoom on one and a portrait or macro or street-shooting prime on the other. Or to have a camera that you won't mind taking into riskier situations.

Some toggers prefer few lenses but many bodies. And saome don't have space for such a setup. It all depends. Cheers!

04-26-2012, 02:56 AM   #20

carrying two cameras with different lenses would be nice, except it will absolutely kill my shoulders..

Thanks for the replies!!! Only time can tell.. I need to play with k-r first
04-26-2012, 04:02 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Twice The Fun?

For digital, I just bought a used K-7 and am enjoying it, but still have much to learn. Once I do, my opinion may change.
My favorite DSLR is (still) the trusty K10 D; Maybe because I understand it better.
It's slightly bigger and more solid-feeling. Different camera bodies appeal to different folks, the K10 D seems like a perfect match for me. YMMV.
Film; I shoot with my (old) Me Super and a much newer and better-condition Me.
Both are solid all-metal M/F bodies and have never let me down, providing I use them correctly. The Me bodies seem small to me so I use the Me II winder as a grip.
For events that move along quickly, it's faster to have 2 bodies than to change lenses. Most of the time one body is enough.
JMO,
Ron
04-26-2012, 04:18 AM   #22

As a newbie, I switch between k-r, iPhone 4S and Sony TX-9.. But the Sony recently only got a chance to shoot 5 panorama photos in my one week trip. So I might give it to my mum or sell it......

04-26-2012, 04:20 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In addition to the bodies in my signature, I still have an ancient P30T from my student days. I haven't used it for years.
04-26-2012, 04:47 AM   #24
Banned

I wonder why so many people have many different cameras

I almost wish that I could make do with just three different cameras. My choices would be as follows...

1st. a tie between a high optical zoom p&s or on the other extreme - any Leica (even a film one) I have two Leicas; one film and one digital.

2nd. Pentax K-01

3rd. Any type of medium format; also have two of those.

But also... Most professionals actually have a genuine need to have two cameras; especially in the field. I've also seen what happens when this is not the case - a so called (title only) part time pro lost use of the camera less than half way into a wedding
04-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Two K-x bodies. They do everything I want 'em to. Love 'em.
04-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #26

Two of the same model? Wow..
04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

These are the cameras I currently use on a rotation basis:

Medium Format

35mm Film
2 x K2DMD
2 x K2 (Black/Silver)
2 x KX (Black/Silver)
2 x KM (Black/Silver)
K1000SE
K1000

These are not used and are part of my film body collection:

2 x K2 Boxed LN (Silver/Black)

Phil.
04-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a pink k-r

I wonder why so many people have many different cameras? I would think I'd sell my k-r if I want an upgrade in the future..
Just a carry over from the film days when upgrading was timed in Years not Months. They become collector items and old friends.
In order of appearance and they all still get used here and there.

The original Spotmatic
K1000
Super program
P3
*ist
H1a

HP Photo Smart
Minolta 7hi
*ist Ds
*ist D
K10D
K20D
Optio A40
Olympus Pen E-pl1

Collection and Use

Rollei 3.5 e

Kodak 35, The Beast
Argus C3, The Brick
Ciro 35
Bolsey B2
Braun Paxette II

It's fun to collect, all the little Rangefinders are Ebay wonders that I bought, Cla'd and shoot. The Rollei I've had for 30 some years and is
a fine medium Format.
The *ist Ds is now a citizen of Australia, JT if you're still around, Howdy.
04-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Working but displayed:
K
H1a

Working and used occaisionally
SV
KM
KX
K2DMD
MESuper
SF1n
LX

Digital
K10D and grip
K-01

Projected 2013 Pentax cameras
KX, LX, K10D, K-01, LX-D
04-26-2012, 08:30 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder why so many people have many different cameras?
Each of mine has a reason I have them and use them.
k 1000 my first ever slr- used occasionally
p30t my second slr- used more often , and usually loaded with a color film ,backup for the next one listed
ZX-7 my most used film slr now finding B/W in it more often. also usually carried along with the next one listed
*istDL my only Dslr ,at this time

Wish list Kr, or K-5