Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 11:08 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
When I lived in NYC I used go to Bleeker to see a guy named Kenny Gwin play all kinds of cool covers. I know he was playing an Ovation. It was one of those two, but not sure which one. It was a bar with a red awning. Can't remember the name though. I want to say Spoon's but I don't think that is right. I believe it is gone now. That was mid 80's. He was a young guy at the time and died way too early.
I was trying to place his name, but honestly didn't remember him so I did a little research, and this is what I found regarding Kenny Gwin: Kenneth "Kenny" Walter Gwyn

It's a site dedicated to him by one of his daughters.

If you scroll down about halfway, on the right side there's a picture under which the caption reads, "Ken & Board Of Directors At The Inner Circle With Schlomo." In that photo, Kenny is holding an Ovation electric. It's either a Deacon or a Breadwinner, I'm not sure which model it is.

Thanks very much for the info, Lammie. I now know a little about one more guitarist, which I can discuss with my guitar-playing buddies next time I see them.

Mike

I'll post some guitars videos I think most of you will like later.

05-01-2012, 02:38 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I saw that website a few years back. Thanks for posting it though. It was the Siver Dollar Saloon on Bleeker where I would go and see him play. Later, I saw him someplace on Jane Street as I recall. It would be interesting to see if any of your friends remember him or either of those places.
05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
OK, everyone, here are three guitar videos and a link to a bass site.

These three videos are about Paul Reed Smith guitars. I don't remember if I found these on my own or someone sent them to me, but I remember I liked them. Most of us know what Gibsons and Fenders sound like, so I thought another manufacturer that makes guitars similar to both would be interesting.

I, for one, like electrics when they're played with either little or no distortion. If the song calls for distortion, I like a Blues style played clean through a small amp rather than a bigger one, and letting the amp distort naturally when it's turned up.

The Mira: X

The Starla:

The NF3. I really like this one.

For bass players. This is the Lakland bass site. This site has one of the best sections I've found for audio demos of their different instruments. And they have demos of all the basses using both flatwound and roundwound strings.

Simply click on a bass you want to hear, and another page will come up with all the sound options.
Welcome to Lakland

Enjoy.

Mike
05-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It was suggested to me to post this here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-talk/184682-trying-locate-get-sal...ml#post1936185

Anyone game for a video chase?

JP

05-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #35
Pentaxian

i never get around to shooting new pics of my guitars, but here are some older ones:

05-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Very nice Mike.
05-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Very nice Mike.
+1 These are beautiful - looking forward to seeing more.
05-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very nice photos, Mike.

Please post more.

Since you like Jazz guitars, here are 2 videos of a Gibson 137 playing the Blues.

Mike

05-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Bokeh Quote
Since you like Jazz guitars, here are 2 videos of a Gibson 137 playing the Blues.
Very nice Mike, thanks for the vids.

Any Jeff Golub fans in the house?
05-04-2012, 11:24 AM   #40
Pentaxian

this one is a couple years old:

05-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
this one is a couple years old:
Is there anywhere I can see/hear you play online Mike?
05-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote

Any Jeff Golub fans in the house?
Here's one! Got most of his stuff, saw him back in '04, I think, playing with Peter White, Richard Elliot, etc - smooth jazz fest in Ft Worth. Really enjoy his style, but not 100% sold on his new blues direction. It's good, but I enjoyed his jazz/blues work a bit more. I heard he was losing his eyesight? What's the latest on that?
05-04-2012, 07:02 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Here's one! Got most of his stuff
I don't know what's happening with his eyesight, there is a donation page on his website but it doesn't give any details other the sudden blindness.
I haven't hear anything past Soul Session so no comment on new stuff. I can say I find his phrasing and sense of melody and timing very much to my taste.
05-04-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i never get around to shooting new pics of my guitars, but here are some older ones:

Yeah !!

This is THE pic which has caused me to buy a Cosina 55/1.2 !!

Still strumming with the Ibanez 12-strings and the Jazzy one ... plus a good ol' hand-made 6-strings Norman.

I'll try to get out of my lazy habits and post some pics of those beauties one day!

JP
05-05-2012, 12:27 AM   #45
Pentaxian

here is a vid of me playing one of them: