Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Legendary DJ Pete Fornatale dies

NEW YORK — Rock music fans are mourning the death of Pete Fornatale (FOHR'-nah-tahl), a beloved radio disc jockey who promoted the best new musicians for decades in his easy, free-form style.
Fornatale was 66 when he died Thursday in New York.
At New York's Fordham University, his alma mater, president Joseph McShane called the DJ "the voice of several generations" who interviewed the hottest musicians and played their new songs.
As a DJ on WNEW-FM, his format was to play lesser known artists and album cuts beyond the hit singles.
Until his death, Fornatale still hosted the show "Mixed Bag" on Saturdays for Fordham University's WFUV-FM station.
The Bronx native was a Fordham student DJ when he developed the style that grew into the kind of FM rock broadcasting listeners still enjoy.

Pete Fornatale, pioneering NY rock DJ, dies at 66 - WSJ.com

Last edited by luftfluss; 04-26-2012 at 03:42 PM.
04-26-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh, man, that's sad.

I used to listen to him years ago on WNEW-FM along with Scott Muni, Allison Steele and Richard Neer.

I just recently discovered Pete on WFUV, playing good music as I remember from the past.

R.I.P. Pete.

Mike
04-26-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ditto.

As an aside, a few years ago I had laryngitis, and did a mean Scott Muni impersonation.
04-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I heard the sad news. My wife had Dennis Elsas show on when I woke up this afternoon.
I was an avid WNEW-FM listener from high school in the mid-late 1970's into college in the early 1980's.
I feel like I grew up with Pete and the other 'NEW jocks.

Allison Steele, Vin Scelsa and now Pete Fornatale are gone now.
Richard Neer has been doing sports talk on WFAN for 20 years.
So Dennis Elsas is the last man standing.

I'm starting to feel very old now...

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-27-2012 at 03:23 PM.
04-27-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Too bad. I remember listening to Pete when I lived in North Jersey in the late 60's-early 70's. Another WNEW-FM favorite was Zackerly who was on nights, also gone. I don't think my radio ever was set to another station in those years. Radio personalities almost become family to many of us, something that's lacking in today's modern syndicated programing.