Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
Banned

Family Misses Flight After TSA Gives Pat-Down To Girl With Cerebral Palsy

QuoteQuote:
The Transportation Security Administration is once again the subject of national scrutiny, this time after aggressively screening a 7-year-old female passenger with cerebral palsy which caused her family to miss their flight.

The girl, identified as Dina Frank in a report by The Daily, was waiting with her family on Monday to board a flight departing from John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York headed to Florida.

Since Dina walks with the aid of leg braces and crutches, she cannot pass through airport metal detectors, and must instead submit to a pat-down by TSA agents.

Dina, who is also reportedly developmentally disabled, is usually frightened by the procedure. Her family reportedly requests that agents on hand take the time to introduce themselves to her.

However, the agents on duty at the time began to handle her aggressively instead.

Air travel is difficult to the family due to Dina’s disabilities, but the nature of Monday’s inspection was especially traumatic for the child.

“They make our lives completely difficult,” her father, Dr. Joshua Frank, a Long Island pediatrician, told The Daily. “She’s not a threat to national security.”

Frank taped the encounter, which ended when a supervisor inspected her crutches and let them pass. But agents followed up and insisted upon doing a full inspection of Dina.

Ultimately, the family missed their flight.

“They’re harassing people. This is totally misguided policy,” Frank told The Daily. “Yes, I understand that TSA is in charge of national security and there’s all these threats. [But] for her to be singled out, it’s crazy.”

Dina, from Long Island, had recently experienced triumph after Botox and phenol injections helped her to gain control of her legs, enough to take several unassisted steps.

After being born prematurely and suffering from bleeding in the brain, Dina struggled for years to get around, even enduring a double hip replacement to assist in her recovery, CBS New York reported.
Family Misses Flight After TSA Gives Pat-Down To Girl With Cerebral Palsy

04-28-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Jumped up little-Hitler bastiches.
04-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

I thought the TSA was supposed to be trying to keep America safe while they travel. What is their mandate, really, since terrorizing little kids is not going to do much for safety during air travel?
04-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I believe their state goal is to scare people into giving them more funding. Those easily defeated nude-radiation machines don't justify themselves.

04-29-2012, 06:48 AM   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
....................... terrorizing little kids is not going to do much for safety during air travel?
Not necessarily. Their goal is to make flying more unpleasant so that fewer people will fly. That way they not only have less work to do; with fewer people flying the odds of their accidentally catching an actual terrorist are increased.
04-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yeah they're very tough on little kids and grandmas in diaper pants but not so much on drug dealers apparently. You folks see the story about the TSA people at LAX who were just letting people take drugs on board in their suitcases for cash? This is the very same people that want the right to feel us all up upon demand. Lovely, isn't it? Oh and incidentally that airport coming and going they once let me take 3 box cutters, nail clips, and a small pocket knife on board in my carry on bag. I had to make an unplanned trip for business, packed in a hurry? Forgot I had all that daily retail related junk in my bag. They passed me both times, no problem. So yeah, while they're busy patting people down and demanding you leave all your money where they can grab it if they feel like it, they tend to forget the little things, like potential weapons...