Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 12:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do you tell clients they are full of #%$#?

I am dealing with someone that is a control freak, and feels he knows much more than I even though he hired me for my expertise. I just recently emailed him a detailed list of the pros and cons for a decision that he is making to save $800 on a construction project that has cost him about $500k to build. There are many more cons than pros if we utilize his decision. I told him that I am flexible and will document anything that he wants though. BTW, the guy is worth many tens of millions.

This is a rant, but I am interested to hear if anyone has anything relevant.

04-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
Banned

Well that's an asset; to have a person whom is geniunely honest and wants to try to help someone else out.

But if you've done so tactfully; that's about all one can do. Perhaps it could be worded (with a bit of caution); I noticed this, perhaps it was overlooked - which is easily done; and I wanted you to save money on this one, etc... But also noting; most people that are a bit well off aren't typically interestied in saving money - they simply don't really care.

I peronally rarely tell clients they are full of it

My prices for my work are through the roof and I admit it. I also build in a type of insuracne to keep myself covered. Yet a part of my philosophy is that I cater to the client in just about any way possible.
04-27-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Build it his way and never answer his calls after it falls
04-27-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You don't, you only tell soon to be x clients.
The rich are high maintenance, generally cheap and often not worth the trouble in my experience. YMMV

04-28-2012, 08:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What a shock! Finding someone that doesn't agree with me would ruin my day.....finding someone that did would give me a heart attack!
Regards!
04-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Build it his way and never answer his calls after it falls
Actually, build it his way, make sure it is done with no deficiencies, and then when it fails give him a price for tear out and reinstall the right way.
04-28-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's your answer:

A Book Apart, Design Is a Job

Almost anyone who has clients of any sort will benefit from reading this very short book.

04-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OP...if your being paid...just do the work the client wants you to do. If you want to mention a suggestion fine, but let it go if they say NO.

If you don't like it, then fire em as a client.
04-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone in the construction and design business has run across this....many times. I once had a man argue over some simple wiring, and he reminded me that I was a plumber, not an electrician......he burned his house down doing it his way.

One of my favorite sayings..."You can always tell a fool...but you can't tell them much".

Regards!
04-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone that has replied. I pretty much do everything that was suggested. And the other remarks certainly ring true. Payment has never been an issue with this guy. I am in the "grin and bear it" mode and have been there for some time now. Just a little frustrating, but I remind myself that the good clients some how make up for the bad ones. Luckily I still have some good ones.
04-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Clients from Hell...

We recently stopped in for a pizza in a pleasant cafe near the Atlanta Zoo. During our stay two regulars came in really steamed. It seemed they'd had a disagreement with a client over some built-in bookcases. The client had agreed to the proposal, for cases 4 feet high and 14" deep, apparently wall to wall, to be painted. Please note: it seems that all the work was done in the client's home and in his/her presence. When the work was essentially complete the client wanted a stain/natural finish, and wasn't pleased with the proportions, and wanted the workmen to re-do the job at the workers' expense; otherwise the client refused to pay. The workmen were understandably upset. Actually, they were royally P****d Off!

Beyond the overall dimensions, stock selection for stain/natural finish is much more critical than for paint, and the stock is generally more expensive. As anyone who's built bookcases nows, grain direction matters for aesthetics and strength, and finger jointed trim is out for natural finishes. Filling gaps in joints is not kosher.

We were only eavesdropping, but I couldn't help but wonder if: had the builders made a scale drawing or drawings. Had they gotten a signed agreement detailing dimensions, finish, etc. Apparently they'd done successful work for the client before, so maybe they got careless. But for the client to see the project taking shape literally before their eyes and make no objections until completion is unconsionable. Sounded to us like lawyer time.

This why I won't shoot weddings for friends, except for candids. Too easy to ruin a friendship.
04-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #12

i work in construction and come across this all the time, i'm a painter by trade but i do carpentry/joinery, tiling, plastering, concreting, welding, coolrooms. along with the foreman we do 80% of a build. so we end up on the receiving end of any changes.

My boss is the type of guy who will not argue for an extras bill, our latest project has gone over time for 2 weeks because of extras, and he wont fight for us or himself. he's copping it left, right and center from the owner whos trying to impose the over time penalty
meanwhile our other job is delayed, and our on time bonuses are gone.

between me and the foreman we could make this dude rich if he the balls to back himself to the clients but he's spineless.

we've told him on the next job if they change anything more than a light fitting we are throwing the original time line out the window.
04-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I would begin by asking if the requested changes pose a danger to people (I am assuming they do not). If the changes substantially increase the risk of bodily injury or death, I think I would make sure it was done the correct way.

If there is no risk, I think you are handling the situation correctly. I would send them a list of the pros and cons (which you have done), and strongly recommend the solution you think is best. When giving your recommendation, I would make sure to use the words "I strongly recommend..." (people without experience can often read a list of pros and cons different than those with experience/knowledge). If he still does not make the correct choice, document everything very carefully (which you said you are planning on doing). I think you have the correct approach to this problem. I wish you all the luck, and hope your customer makes the correct decision in the end.
04-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #14

Agree with kswier. you can only give your input and expertise, but if the client is not will to accept it- do the job.
as stated document everything in the event something may happen.
04-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This issue is not a life safety issue. I have done calculations and all of the proposals exceed the minimum allowed by the relevant codes. It is mostly an aesthetic issue.

He has convinced the contractor to do some things that weren't in compliance with my documents though. For example, I showed the outdoor decks to be 2" lower than the door thresholds that open out onto them. That would have allowed easy access to the weep (drain) holes in the door thresholds for cleaning if necessary. He convinced the contractor to raise the deck heights so that the weep holes are covered by the deck boards. It has rained since then and there was water seepage from the thresholds onto the inside of the doors. I don't know if it was due to covering up the weep holes, but I did get him to sign a letter saying that he approved the deviation from the original documents against my recommendation.

Originally when I was helping him evaluate construction bids and writing the construction contract, he made it emphatic that he wanted a penalty clause for schedule overruns. The winning contractor agreed as long as bonuses were in place if he finished early. All of that got thrown out of the window after about three months time. The owner couldn't make timely decisions because he wanted to control so many of them. At least he realized that he was being unreasonable on that particular issue.