Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-27-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Banned

Photos: Albums
Be cautious what pics you post...

And this is just one of many reasons I post very few pics online. Which is generally why one doesn't see many pics of mine - even on this site...

Should You Worry About Google Drive Privacy? | PCWorld Business Center.

Has anyone here ever posted pics to any type of cloud device?

Better yet; try to recall if you have ever tried to delete anyhing off of the cloud?

Is it really deleted?

04-27-2012, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I trust nothing Google after the Google Street Car project where they not only drove around the world taking video of the streets, but also listened in on any open WiFi network they could find, collecting user ids and passwords and what not. This could not have been done 'by mistake' as they originally claimed - a video camera doesn't sniff on WiFi traffic. It was deliberate.

To your question about the cloud: No, when first posted on the net, it cannot be deleted. Someone somewhere has a copy.

I don't mind sharing my photos on this site though - even though there is a risk that they get downloaded and used by someone else the damage to me will be marginal. I will, however, not post photos of family and friends. I am reducing my on-line footprint best I can when it comes to personal information. I used to have a password protected site with all my travel activities, like a diary for family and friends to see. Not after Google Street Car (and Google's other attempts to archive everything they can lay their hands on). Even a password protected site can be copied and misused.
04-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Google maybe the worst....along with Facebook...but my findings are that if you go on the internet, and post anything, you have given up your privacy to a large extent. However, you might do the same at the Grocery Store unless you pay cash, or anytime you use a Credit Card.

Real Privacy is pretty much non-existent in today's world.

Regards!
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Whenever I do post pictures to the net, I make sure the resolution is set very low and I never use anything cloud based...at all.

04-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I subscribe to box.net cloud server for the business use. It is private, only those clients who i give a pw to can log in to the directories I specify.
I can also make a directory or file public by pasting a link for example to this forum. If I move or take down the file, the link is broken.

I know that my links to photos on this forum are a little slower than the mainstream ones.
Also I only put approx 3000 by 2000 srgb high quality jpgs which slows the files down even more.

Even with all that I try not to put people's faces up, I don't think it is right to put kids up or even people in a public place who are in my frame.
So I mainly just put boring test and equipment shots on this forum.
https://www.box.com/s/07b7c0299efa82881ec8

We also ask the schools , church, ice rink etc not to put photos of the kids on public internet.
04-28-2012, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I upload garbage pictures, tell the wife and kids to curb their FB activities, all to def ears.
04-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I try not to put people's faces up,
Same here, hence no awesome kids soccer or La-cross shots posted.