Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok I am late to the show but figured I would add a couple of my shots from Saturday. Shot with K5 Sigma 1.7 teleconverter and Sigma 70-200 2.8 all CROPPED a lot.

I love and hate this. The clouds and color I love. The clouds and blur it created from longis exposure not so much.

Creeping over Mt. Tom

My Favorite

05-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #62

Can anyone tell me why so many shots of the full moon - Weevil's, for example - show a bright rim as though they are backlit? The full moon is in fact, by definition, as front-lit as it can be. Usually extreme front lighting puts a dark rim around the subject.
05-07-2012, 09:33 PM   #63

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Full Moon with my new K-5

I got this new K-5 from B&H after I returned the original one that had freezing issue. Still running on the old firmware... Here is my moon shot, I tried just the moon but not happy with that. My K10D did 10 times better than this. Anyway, I will find some time this weekend to calibrate my lenses with this camera and also update the firmware. I did adjusted the saturation using GIMP.
Thanks
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
05-08-2012, 05:33 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Vsmouli - What do you mean it did 10X better? is this shot in Green mode or Program mode? The moon is not an easy subject to shoot and blaming the camera is kind of harsh when you really need to put in a little thought to the settings. Yes the moon is blown out but I kind of like your shot.

05-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
Vsmouli - What do you mean it did 10X better? is this shot in Green mode or Program mode? The moon is not an easy subject to shoot and blaming the camera is kind of harsh when you really need to put in a little thought to the settings. Yes the moon is blown out but I kind of like your shot.
Vievetrick, I was expecting this kind of response. First of all, thanks for your comment on the moon shot. I was not blaming K-5. I just got the camera, did not have time to calibrate the AF settings. Having said that, I am not new pentax DSLR. Please take a look at this when you have time

photoSIG » Moon before eclipse (Aug'07)

That was using my K10D.

I could not get anything of this sort not even close. I am aware that K-5 is way too high-end when compared to K10D. I will keep trying.

Mouli
05-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
Veteran Member

That is a great shot with the K10D - hope I didn't offend as it was not my intent. I am sure if you keep at it you will get the hang of the K5, it is a great camera
05-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So many great shots on here - it was very cloudy here so I could not get any shots...

05-09-2012, 04:30 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vsmouli Quote
I got this new K-5 from B&H after I returned the original one that had freezing issue. Still running on the old firmware... Here is my moon shot, I tried just the moon but not happy with that. My K10D did 10 times better than this. Anyway, I will find some time this weekend to calibrate my lenses with this camera and also update the firmware. I did adjusted the saturation using GIMP.
Thanks
I hope you will take this advice as friendly as I don't mean anything bad by it and of course you may know all of this anyhow. The EXIF information for the image show it was taken at F2.8 and ISO 800 1/6th sec with matrix metering.

For a scene like this to meter correctly (if you were after the moon not being blown out) you would do best to spot meter on the moon since the camera will try and average out the light in the scene to a 'best fit' which unfortunately leaves the moon completely blown out because the foreground is really rather dark in comparison. For optimal sharpness from the lens most people will use F8 to F16 increasing the depth of field and resolving power, for stars & other astro work that isn't really possible without trails unless you have tracking mount because its so dark the shutter becomes too long but with the moon you can still maintain a fast shutter speed with low ISO (e.g. ISO 400 F8 1/200sec) provided it is spot metered.

If your intent was to have the silhouette of the leaves from the moon as shown, but you're unhappy with the sharpness I would suggest that the fairly long lens used (at least according to EXIF) coupled with the slow shutter speed of 1/6th would contribute to motion blur, tripod or mirror lock-up/remote timer may help but 1/6th is really slow for zoom - also being at F2.8 the DOF is so shallow some leaves are in focus but others are not. If you were really lucky with your camera set at the sweet spot shooting using RAW you might possibly be able to have the moon retain detail and enough light to silhouette the leaves still (or possibly bracketed shot and then compose correctly exposed moon onto brighter silhouette)

The compression on the image is also quite heavy, I see some banding in the fog of the image i'm not sure if its the image provider you have it uploaded with or the compression selected.

Good luck with your K5, i'm green with envy hehe :ugh:
05-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #69

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
That is a great shot with the K10D - hope I didn't offend as it was not my intent. I am sure if you keep at it you will get the hang of the K5, it is a great camera
Vievetrick, I am not offended. In fact I appreciate you taking time to look at the picture and giving feedback. I will keep trying.
05-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #70

QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
I hope you will take this advice as friendly as I don't mean anything bad by it and of course you may know all of this anyhow. The EXIF information for the image show it was taken at F2.8 and ISO 800 1/6th sec with matrix metering.

For a scene like this to meter correctly (if you were after the moon not being blown out) you would do best to spot meter on the moon since the camera will try and average out the light in the scene to a 'best fit' which unfortunately leaves the moon completely blown out because the foreground is really rather dark in comparison. For optimal sharpness from the lens most people will use F8 to F16 increasing the depth of field and resolving power, for stars & other astro work that isn't really possible without trails unless you have tracking mount because its so dark the shutter becomes too long but with the moon you can still maintain a fast shutter speed with low ISO (e.g. ISO 400 F8 1/200sec) provided it is spot metered.

If your intent was to have the silhouette of the leaves from the moon as shown, but you're unhappy with the sharpness I would suggest that the fairly long lens used (at least according to EXIF) coupled with the slow shutter speed of 1/6th would contribute to motion blur, tripod or mirror lock-up/remote timer may help but 1/6th is really slow for zoom - also being at F2.8 the DOF is so shallow some leaves are in focus but others are not. If you were really lucky with your camera set at the sweet spot shooting using RAW you might possibly be able to have the moon retain detail and enough light to silhouette the leaves still (or possibly bracketed shot and then compose correctly exposed moon onto brighter silhouette)

The compression on the image is also quite heavy, I see some banding in the fog of the image i'm not sure if its the image provider you have it uploaded with or the compression selected.

Good luck with your K5, i'm green with envy hehe :ugh:
Thanks FruitLooPs. Very good suggestion. Initially I wanted just the moon in the frame, but for some reason, my 100-300mm FA could not focus, even manually, then I gave up. Then I changed my composition to include the leaves for a silhouette shot. I am going to try with the settings that you have suggested. I really appreciate your time.
05-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #71
Veteran Member

I only recently got an account on a photo website and don't quite know how to show the photo here, but my supermoon photo can be found here:
500px / Photo "Supermoon as I saw it" by Stolpulus II

Yes, the weather conditions were less than ideal

Last edited by Na Horuk; 05-09-2012 at 04:07 PM.
05-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #72

Good one weevil! Shows features better than any other photo on this forum. Plato is usually identifiable but in your picture is remarkably well defined. Endymion is easily identified in yours but hard to find in my own best shot. These are just examples and other features could be mentioned.
05-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My contibution from South Africa, could regrettably not get it in the early evening, so these are latish at night. These were shot on 6th May.
Edited in GImp and shot with K200D, Sigma 170-500 lens plus x2 converter.

[