Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-01-2012, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2012 Supermoon This Weekend

This Weekend's 'Supermoon' Will be Year's Largest | Supermoon Full Moon | Space.com

Anyone have any plans to go out and try to get some of those spectacular supermoon shots this Saturday? I love moon shots, but where I am there is not a lot to compose the shot with - I think those moon shots coming up over the high hills with tree silhouettes are pretty awesome.

05-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yesterday I received the NASA email about the upcoming supermoon. And I thought, Hay Kewl! Then I remembered that I get to spend Saturday driving 500 miles and unpacking from a 3-month journey. If I have the strength and wits, I may drag myself to my mountain meadow and frame MegaLuna against the surrounding conifers. Or I may just drop into a coma. Happy moon-hunting!
05-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yup. I've been reviewing some night shooting stuff every night this week so far and I plan on doing it till Friday. Then I am going to take it outside and try it. I've had quite a bit of studying it so far but not a lot of practice in doing it and since I'm not all that far from the equator this should provide a good opportunity for me to practice if it doesn't rain.
05-02-2012, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This app is useful to plan your shoot:
The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot
Know exactly where to be and when to be there.

QuoteQuote:
The Photographer's Ephemeris (TPE) is a tool to help with the planning of all types of outdoor photography, but particularly landscape and urban scenes.
It is a map-centric sun and moon calculator: see how the light will fall on the land.

05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

My understanding is that the moon (and sun) appear largest at rise and set, while smallest at it's highest position. Is that correct?

(i.e. the worst time to shoot the moon is when it's in the middle of the sky)
05-02-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My understanding is that the moon (and sun) appear largest at rise and set, while smallest at it's highest position. Is that correct?
I am not sure - they are saying that @ 11:35 EST it will be completely full and I am also guessing that will be the time it appears to be the largest; there is a video on that page/link that explains why it will look so big. I think I am going to go out tomorrow night and see if it is possible for me to compose a good one through on of the harbors here on the Chesapeake, I am envisioning something just hope it will turn out the way I am seeing it...

@magkelly - good luck

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I may drag myself to my mountain meadow and frame MegaLuna against the surrounding conifers.
Awesome...
05-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Nope, didn't know about it. But thanks for the heads up.
05-02-2012, 07:10 PM - 2 Likes   #8

Super Moon

Here is mine from last year. Shot with K20. This year I have my K5, hoping for clear sky's.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
05-02-2012, 07:36 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Looking forward to this. Should be good if we have clear skies.
05-02-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Sol and Luna look largest near horizons because there may be structures or other objects there to give it scale. Use a tele to shoot a celestial orb near tall buildings and said orb will seem to loom. Up in midsky, there's little for it to loom against -- unless you have redwoods, Eiffel Tower, etc to shoot up at.
05-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Sol and Luna look largest near horizons because there may be structures or other objects there to give it scale. Use a tele to shoot a celestial orb near tall buildings and said orb will seem to loom. Up in midsky, there's little for it to loom against -- unless you have redwoods, Eiffel Tower, etc to shoot up at.
Gotcha thanks - and the other suggestion above to use a tele lens makes doubly sense to me after thinking abuot it. Too bad my longest is a 200mm.
05-02-2012, 08:24 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
This app is useful to plan your shoot:
The Photographer's Ephemeris | Plan your shoot
Know exactly where to be and when to be there.
Wow, that app is excellent! Nice tip!
05-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
Wow, that app is excellent! Nice tip!
I was turned on to this app last year by a pro nikon shooter (when I say pro I mean professional as photography and teaching photography is his day job) that I met last year during my cardiac rehabilitation classes - it is a really cool app...
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM   #14
Veteran Member

This might be a good time to try the *interval* setting on my Q on it's new support...now if only i knew where to shoot from
05-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm really not getting excited or making any photo plans because it will likely be obscured by cloud cover, as have the recent auroras, meteor showers, etc.