Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 02:25 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The stove finally enters the 21st century... (finally)

It's called the William, and its everything a stove should of always been. It maximizes stove-top space in a completely innovative way.
The stove-top as we know will never be the same once these puppies hit the market. :ugh:

05-04-2012, 04:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the video.

Looks rather expensive to fix if something drops on that top.

Wonder if it will outlive our 30 year old or so stove.
05-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now you're really cooking, man!

(is then approached by someone wearing a suit of armor and is slapped across the face with a fish)
05-04-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

That stove probably costs 5K at least and yeah, it's a chef's dream, but I actually like having a regular oven. I don't like the idea of a stove where you have to buy a whole separate oven. I've always coveted one with a flat top that was easier to clean, but no way I'd ever give up the all-in-one stove/oven combo. I actually use my oven a lot. Our current stove drives me nuts actually. It's black like our fridge which I love, but spill something on it and it just stick like glue. It's a royal b- to clean and no cleaner we've tried yet helps...

05-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Meh. We've had full-surface stove tops for centuries.

05-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
Very nice. Thanks for sharing the video.

Looks rather expensive to fix if something drops on that top.

Wonder if it will outlive our 30 year old or so stove.
I can only relate that we will never buy a range with electronic components (or as few as possible) again. Our Kitchen Aid gas convection range fried its electronic mother board after about 4 years of use. There is actually a class action lawsuit that has been filed against Whirlpool, its parent company. Seems as though the self cleaning cycle that super heats the oven to about 800-1000 degrees F fries the board. Ironically, we have never used the self cleaning cycle and the board is still toast. Unfortunately the case has been thrown out in California. Ironically the judge ruled that there was no way to verify whether users were using the self cleaning cycle properly, i.e. every six months. There are no settings to vary for the self cleaning iirc. So, if you use the self cleaning cycle you will fry the board. If you DON'T use the self cleaning cycle you will fry the board. What difference does it make whether people use it or not? The design is defective and Whirlpool has known about it for over a decade. We will be replacing it with one that doesn't have electronics. Also, ironically those types are more expensive than typical consumer types. My daily rant.
05-04-2012, 02:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I can only relate that we will never buy a range with electronic components (or as few as possible) again. Our Kitchen Aid gas convection range fried its electronic mother board after about 4 years of use. There is actually a class action lawsuit that has been filed against Whirlpool, its parent company. Seems as though the self cleaning cycle that super heats the oven to about 800-1000 degrees F fries the board. Ironically, we have never used the self cleaning cycle and the board is still toast. Unfortunately the case has been thrown out in California. Ironically the judge ruled that there was no way to verify whether users were using the self cleaning cycle properly, i.e. every six months. There are no settings to vary for the self cleaning iirc. So, if you use the self cleaning cycle you will fry the board. If you DON'T use the self cleaning cycle you will fry the board. What difference does it make whether people use it or not? The design is defective and Whirlpool has known about it for over a decade. We will be replacing it with one that doesn't have electronics. Also, ironically those types are more expensive than typical consumer types. My daily rant.
Seems like the judge is the one with the fried motherboard in that case and not in the range.

Our little house (YES, appliance designers, people DO LIVE in houses less than 3000 sq ft, try 680 sq ft) only has room for a 24" range, practically every store only has 30" ones. I don't even know if you can still GET 24" ones. The old thermostat on our oven is about 75 degrees out so we always have to put the knob 75 degrees LESS for the correct temperature, at least it's consistent setting it that way and works very well as long as you remember.

Thanks for the rant and I hope you enjoy mine above.

05-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

Our little house (YES, appliance designers, people DO LIVE in houses less than 3000 sq ft, try 680 sq ft) only has room for a 24" range, practically every store only has 30" ones. I don't even know if you can still GET 24" ones. The old thermostat on our oven is about 75 degrees out so we always have to put the knob 75 degrees LESS for the correct temperature, at least it's consistent setting it that way and works very well as long as you remember.
And if you don't you get to eat a little sooner than you expected... take out that is
05-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
And if you don't you get to eat a little sooner than you expected... take out that is
It's happened more than once while we were getting used to it's little ways!!
05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I appreciate many of the comments above. When we threw out our frustrating old solid-element cooktop a few years ago, we replaced it with a ceramic cooktop, but I resisted buying touch controls because of the risk of failure - rotary analogue controls are so much easier to replace. Perhaps time will prove the longevity of touch controls, and maybe the economies of scale will eventually make this sort of device so cheap that replacement cost is less of an issue, but for the moment I'd be hesitant to commit to something like this, as nice as the concept is.

By the way, that U-Tube video's been around since 2010. Is this cooktop still not on sale?
05-04-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Forum Member

I love my ceramic cooktop stove. So much easier to clean! Plus, the stove that came with my house was awful. If I used the left front element, it shocked with a strong zap. The other front element had to be wiggled into place every time. Plus, when my sister lived with me she never cleaned out the drip pans and she was the messy cook who expected the homeowner to do most of the cleaning..
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It's full of chips and circuits and hi tech junk that doesn't work on a freezing cold day in a blizzard when the power lines are down. Get an AGA, throw logs in it, heat the house, cook, keep coffee brewing all day, dry the dogs out and just sit in front of it on a bitter cold day day and let the warmth get to your bones.

AGA - AGA Classic 2-oven heat-storage range cooker

If it ain't broke, why fix it ?
05-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think that the main problem with ALL these fancy electronic systems is that they are not repairable or the modules are not replaceable.

Everything is manufactured in large scale integration which means of course that the ONE faulty part CANNOT be replaced or fixed. Also, the costs are such that trying to replace a part is prohibitive.

I was looking closely at one of those Kitchen Aid mixers, the ones that the TV chefs seem to use, and I noted that the controls are actually old fashioned knobs. Perhaps at that level, parts CAN be replaced if they go faulty.

That touch screen cooking top IS a nice idea. I just have bad dreams imagining part of it failing. (if I owned it of course).

MInd you, if I could afford a kitchen fitted out like that, perhaps the cost of replacing one part wouldn't be an issue.

So nikigunn, no problems with your cooktop since you've owned it? Are the heating elements (or whatever they are) user replaceable?
05-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Forum Member

So nikigunn, no problems with your cooktop since you've owned it? Are the heating elements (or whatever they are) user replaceable?
No problems with my stove. My mom got hers at least 8 years or so before I bought mine. I'd used, and cleaned, hers so I knew that was what I wanted. I don't know that I personally could replace the ceramic top, but it can be replaced if it breaks. You have to replace the whole piece. However, they're very sturdy. I was an idiot and let a pot boil dry once, left it on there long enough to let it cook the copper coating so badly it flaked off. The pot had to be replaced but the cooktop only took a little extra scraping with a razor blade to clean that mess and it still works perfectly. I don't know if Mom ever had any mishaps like that but her cooktop is still in great shape. Neither of us has had to replace the top or had problems with the elements. The electronics in mine work fine, unlike lammie200's experience. Mine is a Whirlpool as well and fine so far, but I have an electric stove with a conventional oven so that might be the difference.

Oh, and I love my Kitchen Aid stand mixer, one of the less expensive consumer models. No problems with it, either, though I've read on message boards people complain about those not lasting as long as they used to. I made sure to put mine to a lot of use before the warranty period was over, just in case.
05-08-2012, 06:50 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We had a smooth surface electric stove. We'd planned to replace it with a dual fuel unit and sell the smooth surface but "fate" intervened; the glass surface cracked. We hadn't dropped anything on it, as far as I know it cracked spontaneously. Okay, I thought, maybe $100 for a new surface - Wrong! $325.00!! Good grief!

That's question number one about the Williams. Number two relates to thoughts voiced by earlier comments - the heat problem. Our replacement stove a dual fuel down-draft JennAir (Not a wise choice, but that's a different story) has a cooling fan for the motherboard while on cleaning cycle or even on bake! If that fan fails is the power shut off to the oven? If the Williams' motherboard overheats will it shut off or self-immolate? Are manufacturers unwilling to spend for a thermistor and circuitry to safeguard the motherboard?

For any of these electronic semi-conductor marvels, what happens with a power-line surge? Do any of them have built in surge protection? If they do they should incorporate a tell-tale to indicate that the device has fulfilled its destiny and needs to be replaced.

And just a general "whine": If my $10. electronic alarm clock can sport a 9 volt backup battery, why can't my many$$$ dual fuel stove? My microwave? Huh? What's wrong with this picture? Pure corporate greed? Or have I answered my own question....