Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
KEH Camera

Just want to give a kudos to KEH. I ordered a bargain grade lens from them last week. They sent a email a couple days later and said there was an incident in the warehouse and my lens got damaged. They had no other bargain grade in that lens, so they upgraded me to an excellent + grade at no extra cost. The EX+ was almost a 75 dollars more than the BGN grade. Great service.

05-05-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great to hear bluestringer. I've used KEH for some 8 years now and I've been happy with them. Their customer service is beyond other photo retailer I've dealt with.
05-05-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I bought a used lens that turned out to be broken (in a way they really should have noticed), so I sent it back for a refund. They said they'd cover return shipping -- I even sent them a postal receipt with the exact amount. But then they decided to only refund the lens cost...the whole thing cost me $11 and a lot of hassle and I got no lens in the end...

Only a minor screwing, but disappointing...
05-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of KEH. My MZ-S was without all of it's body caps...and it took me a while to hunt down what was missing. I don't think I will buy from them again since they don't mention everything that is misssing on a camera, that SHOULD be included on it.

05-06-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've bought many items from KEH. I have only sent one or two a back for a no-questions-asked refund.
The majority have been real gems. BGN grade lenses in particular are usually terrific, and a great value.

One should not assume that all accessories normally included with a new, in-box camera body or lens will
be included with one purchased used. In my experience this applies to other dealers as well; most in fact.

Chris
05-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
since they don't mention everything that is misssing on a camera, that SHOULD be included on it.
You could have called and asked what was included. I do. As Chris said, you should never assume everything is included with a camera buy being said camera is used, unless KEH states otherwise.
05-06-2012, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady Quote
You could have called and asked what was included. I do. As Chris said, you should never assume everything is included with a camera buy being said camera is used, unless KEH states otherwise.
True. However, I would assume that the flash cap, the hot shoe cover, the remote cap, the viewfinder rubber piece and a few other body caps would be there. Sure, maybe not the camera strap, but c'mon, don't call a camera in excellent shape without having those little bits.

I got a "stripped" MZ-S and even after I sent an email about it, I heard nothing.

I can't say I will ever use KEH again.

I'm glad I was able to source *most* of the missing bits.

05-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When a photo of the actual item is not provided my advice is to do as photolady suggests and call.
KEH is very accomodating and will provide a hands-on description for items above BGN condition.
However it may take a day for the saleperson to draw the item from inventory.

Chris
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
One should not assume that all accessories normally included with a new, in-box camera body or lens will
be included with one purchased used. In my experience this applies to other dealers as well; most in fact.

Chris
There is a difference between "accessories" and things that should be "on" the camera. Sheesh. I don't expect a user manual or cables or other bits that are not normally "attached" to the camera to be there.

I would think a flash sync terminal cap should be there.
I would think a remote cover should be there.
I would think the rubber eyepiece should be there.
I would think the leather lug protectors should be there.
Ok, the flash shoe cover should be there, but I will give you that one as most people lose those and I have plenty of spares.

I'm glad there are some KEH fans here, but I'm not one of them. No biggie. I'm happy for those that had a good experience. I didn't.
05-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

But Lauren, you're assuming all these pieces would be there. Even in EX condition they're not always there. Considering the item is used, perhaps the previous owner didn't have those items either.

Never assume anything. Call first and you'll never be disappointed.
05-06-2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But Lauren, you're assuming all these pieces would be there. Even in EX condition they're not always there. Considering the item is used, perhaps the previous owner didn't have those items either.

Never assume anything. Call first and you'll never be disappointed.
Too funny. When someone calls a camera 'Excellent' I make a few assumptions from anyone I buy from. "As-is" or "bargain" or "good" mean different things.

Things that are attached to a camera - that take effort to remove - do not make an 'excellent' camera.

So again, we have a few people here that think KEH is the Cat's Meow. I don't.

It's quite funny how I am being 'educated' on my opinion. Or that my opinion is misguided. How funny is that?

LOL.
05-06-2012, 03:09 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I wasn't trying to educate you on your opinion. I was trying to educate you on the facts. Not all cameras or anything comes with all the parts, and if you find it too hard to make a phone call to make sure those things are included with the camera then that's your fault not KEH's.
05-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I wasn't trying to educate you on your opinion. I was trying to educate you on the facts. Not all cameras or anything comes with all the parts, and if you find it too hard to make a phone call to make sure those things are included with the camera then that's your fault not KEH's.
Could just as easily say "if it is too hard for KEH to provide a proper description" -- that fact that we need to make such phone calls is a sad sign of the times, but the fact that we have to do it is to make up for poor customer service. Even if "everyone else" also provides poor customer service, it is still poor.
05-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. You must work for KEH or something.

Let's see. Is a Pentax camera back an accessory on a film camera? Most Pentax film backs come off with just a little effort, but they are included with a new camera. I guess I should assume a used one might not have one unless I call?

If I am to assume that nothing will come with a used camera, what exactly distinguishes their cameras? If I assume nothing will come with a camera except the camera, what are the differences of a camera that is Bargain vs. like new?

What egregious level of abuse should I expect?

I guess serious gashes in the paint and finish?
Noise in how the camera operates?

Look, KEH is just a company that sells used cameras. When they sell a camera, that is described as excellent, I expect an excellent camera. Why should I call to make sure? It is their job to accurately describe what they are selling to me. If they don't, then I don't have to buy there again.

Why take the effort to try and invalidate my purchase with them? They didn't respond to my emails. They ignored me. They obviously agree with you about my pithy requests for what should come with a camera.

I guess you have some kind of ego attached to the purchase you made with them.
Good for you. You got a great camera. They met YOUR expectations which appear to be lower than mine.

I got a camera that didn't meet my reasonable expectations. Their customer service dropped the ball when it came to me. It happens. They suck in my book. End of story.
05-06-2012, 03:44 PM - 1 Like   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
They suck in my book. End of story
Accepted response. That means I don't have to worry about you or vonbaloney buying lenses or cameras that I would be interested in from KEH.