Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
when did these become 'classic'?
It took centuries with the slow rise and dominance of the business class over the landed aristocracy in Western Europe.
The qualities I posted are those mostly from the view point of the old landed aristocracy trying to hold on to their feudal prerogatives.
Hence "classic" as it was the aristocracy that was first critical of this new rising social class.

05-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Classic "Bourgeois" values:
narrow-mindedness, materialism, hypocrisy, and lack of culture (philistinism),

Remind you of any particular political party?
I think you will find these traits running rampant through all segments of society.

The desire to accumulate material wealth or what people classify as greed has very little impact on a persons actual ability to accumulate wealth. Simply wanting it or wishing for it doesn't work. Wealth seems to be a key component to what society considers "bourgeois", but the people who accumulation the most wealth tend to be creative people who are driven to succeed. Wealth accumulation is a byproduct of productive creativity. The question is not why these people want to accumulate wealth. Wealth is a reward for being good at what you do. The question is why do so many other people want to give them the money? People lined up to buy iPhones and make Jobs rich beyond what most of us can dream. I don't question why Jobs accepted the money for his work, I question why people stood in line to give it to him. Is owning an iPhone and being an Apple fanboy the sign of materialism.

Coveting a 77mm LTD would definitely be materialism. LBA is definitely materialism.

I'm not sure it falls at the feet on one political party. Bernie Madoff is the poster boy for materialism, greed, & hypocrisy and was a life long democrat who gave almost $400,000 to democratic candidates and another $500,000 lobbying for democratic platforms. Is Madoff part of the Bourgeois class? John Edwards?

Narrow-mindedness, materialism, hypocrisy, and lack of culture I think you are describing the cast of Jersey Shore or the population of a typical prison. I'm not sure they qualify as bourgeois.
05-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Some of the posts make me question the relevance of this forum.

However, this forum is entertaining and maybe that's relevance enough.
05-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If any of you are unhappy in the Bourgeosie, and wish to join the ranks of the nobility, here's your chance:

Noble Title and ID Card

05-10-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
If any of you are unhappy in the Bourgeosie, and wish to join the ranks of the nobility, here's your chance:

Noble Title and ID Card
Only if it comes with a new Leica Monochrome Leica M Monochrom Review - Leica Forum Blog fitting my new title. I need to express my materialism.
Closed Thread