Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Haven't rebooted yet, still doing research and maintenance (time-shared with household chores, drat).

Based on advice in the O'Reilly WINDOWS XP ANNOYANCES book, I've just used RegEdit to enable ClearPageFileAtShutdown, which forces rebuild of pagefile at startup, avoiding defrag. Is 1.5x RAM the optimal pagefile size? I'm at 3x now.

I think I have the startup load pretty small already. I've trimmed-off a few that don't look absolutely necessary. [slight delay] Hmmm, I think I'm ready to reboot the Toshiba now. Let's see what happens...

EDIT: SUCCESS! At least, the ghost CD drive is gone. Now I just need to tune-up the performance so it's actually usable. THANKS!!

Last edited by RioRico; 05-14-2012 at 11:03 PM.
05-15-2012, 12:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow the things people write in books is unbelievable. Don't take the clear pagefile at shutdown advice. Just set the pagefile to maximum and minimum values at 1.5x RAM.

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cd, drive, file, laptop, manager, sp3, system, toshiba, xp