Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #1

iphone vs dslr macro photos

hi new here what i will be showing soon is macro photos from a iphone i think you are all going to think what the hell

05-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check out the phone camera club here.
But without a doubt, a dedicated macro lens (or even a pseudo macro lens) on a K-5 would beat any phone camera hands down in image quality and noise control.
05-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

what are the dimension of the iPhone`s sensor again?
edit: ah, it`s 4,5 x 3,4 mm...my jaw is already dropping regarding macro photography with that cant`t wait for the pics!
05-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Wait... do you mean "macro photos OF an iPhone?"
That would be interesting...

05-12-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
pet

Original Poster
i phone photo
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4  Photo 
05-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

apart from overexposed parts, it is a nice shot from the telephone
05-12-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pet Quote
i phone photo
Nothing in this picture seems to be in focus. Or, it's VERY blurry.

05-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

shot from K5 plus 100/2.8 WR (resized to 2000x1333)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3649332480398
05-12-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pet Quote
hi new here what i will be showing soon is macro photos from a iphone i think you are all going to think what the hell
Sadly your macro image did not make me say "what the hell", but rather say that is pretty fair compared to a reasonable quality P&S. When you say you are able to get better macro images from the iphone compared to a K-5, what specific aspects of the image qualities are you referring to? Are you referring to more of the image being in focus..?? If so, this is simply a DOF characteristic of a very small sensor, compared to much larger sensor such as the K-5.

Edit: BTW, if you want a bit of "what the hell" feeling, check out this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/51505-macro-my-macro-photos.html

Last edited by KevinR; 05-12-2012 at 09:50 AM.
05-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I honestly don't see the point. I have an iPhone 4s and there's nothing it can do that comes within a football field of the K5. Except be pocketable
05-12-2012, 09:10 AM   #11

Camera phone capabilities keep getting better & work great within their limitations. The attached pic is a low light / auto flash & close focusing test shot from my Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-i777 smartphone when I first got it after a firmware upgrade permanently silenced my Captivate.

- Range to subject: approx. 3.5”
- Flash activated
- Focus mode: auto (also has macro & face detection settings)
- Zoom setting: full / max (4x magnification / 400%)
- Resolution: 8M (3264 x 2448)
- White balance: auto
- Subject: old SIM card from back right side of Samsung Captivate “deadphone”

The test fire was performed for business reasons to make sure it could be able to take close-ups of products & systems for claim photos on job sites. This 'droid smartphone eliminates the need to carry an additional compact digital or in the old days, a SLR w/ macro lens capability & flash - especially when having to walk / dodge / work around hazardous systems. While the test shot is good, the K5 with the right lens offers much more capability & flexibility to compose / handle a shot in its ability to tell the story...maybe a little bit better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SAMSUNG-SGH-I777  Photo 
05-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Judging by the OP's brief posting history, his goal in joining PF seems to be proving the iPhone shoots better macros than the K-5.
05-12-2012, 09:31 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Judging by the OP's brief posting history, his goal in joining PF seems to be proving the iPhone shoots better macros than the K-5.
Heh - it does appear so even with his lens reference...good follow-up.
05-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BillH Quote
Camera phone capabilities keep getting better & work great within their limitations. The attached pic is a low light / auto flash & close focusing test shot from my Samsung Galaxy S II SGH-i777 smartphone when I first got it after a firmware upgrade permanently silenced my Captivate.

- Range to subject: approx. 3.5”
- Flash activated
- Focus mode: auto (also has macro & face detection settings)
- Zoom setting: full / max (4x magnification / 400%)
- Resolution: 8M (3264 x 2448)
- White balance: auto
- Subject: old SIM card from back right side of Samsung Captivate “deadphone”

The test fire was performed for business reasons to make sure it could be able to take close-ups of products & systems for claim photos on job sites. This 'droid smartphone eliminates the need to carry an additional compact digital or in the old days, a SLR w/ macro lens capability & flash - especially when having to walk / dodge / work around hazardous systems. While the test shot is good, the K5 with the right lens offers much more capability & flexibility to compose / handle a shot in its ability to tell the story...maybe a little bit better.
This picture is very blurry too. Just like the flower. I would actually expect more from a phone. My HTC can do much better, but not as good as my K5.
05-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
This picture is very blurry too. Just like the flower. I would actually expect more from a phone. My HTC can do much better, but not as good as my K5.
Nor my K5/lens either. Notice the shallow DOF moving away from the battery. That pic was taken as an original test shot for close focus capability not in macro mode & without any subsequent tests for improvement. What I am impressed with was the phone's ability to take the shot within 3.5" of the subject without flash burnout...
Closed Thread