Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Kodak Had a Secret Nuclear Reactor!

Wow; these guys have been keeping such a secret for several years. Then we wonder how Pentax can block the leak of information about their next model out!

05-14-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

And of course we can wonder (and will never know) just how many other corporate nukes are installed around the world. Or just down the street. Sort of like biohazard labs in business parks.
05-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Banned

Over one hundred schools in america have their private versions of research reactors.

BTW in the eighties Kodak used to offer public tour of that very reactor - one didn't even need I.D. or... in my case my quite large gadget bag was never searched; along with anyone else's gear.
05-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Over one hundred schools in america have their private versions of research reactors.
Do they have "Weapons-Grade Uranium" along with it too?

BTW in the eighties Kodak used to offer public tour of that very reactor - one didn't even need I.D. or... in my case my quite large gadget bag was never searched; along with anyone else's gear.
Interesting! The way gizmodo wrote it "Kodak officials now admit that they never made any public announcement about it. In fact, nobody in the city—officials, police or firemen—or in the state of New York or anywhere else knew about it until it was recently leaked by an ex-employee." presents a completely different story. May be it's just their way of journalism.

05-14-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think back fondly to the "what me worry" days of the 80's, walking across my old university campus by that nondescript brick building with the sign that said "Nuclear Engineering School Reactor 1 - Ring bell for access." It was much bigger than Kodak's... but also not a secret.
05-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Do they have "Weapons-Grade Uranium" along with it too?

Interesting! The way gizmodo wrote it "Kodak officials now admit that they never made any public announcement about it. In fact, nobody in the city—officials, police or firemen—or in the state of New York or anywhere else knew about it until it was recently leaked by an ex-employee." presents a completely different story. May be it's just their way of journalism.
That's because Gizmodo is infotainment.

Determination of halogens by activation analysis with a californium-252 neutron multiplier - Analytical Chemistry (ACS Publications)
05-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I always felt that Kodak film was RAD; now I know!

05-15-2012, 05:18 AM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by farhagh Quote
Do they have "Weapons-Grade Uranium" along with it too

Uummm; NO. Different type of reactor on a much different scale. To give one an example these types of research reactors couldn't damage much (if anything) outside of their actual building of which they are housed in. They are even small on a scale when compared to any type of navl reactor; such as on a ship or submarine or aircraft carrier.

BTW some aircrat carriers need three reactors to run.. With these research reactors they would need over fifty of them on the largest scale.

Also of note... Three more CERN type devices being built today
05-15-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Three more CERN type devices being built today
Yes, but the reactors at particle accelerators are still much smaller than commercial power reactors, and are part of facilities so expensive they are universally owned by governments (such as the US DOE), not private organizations. These small reactors are mainly used for isolated and consistent power generation, not radiation research. They use booster rings and linear accelerators to get particles up to the energy levels required.

Here is a (Flash) panorama I shot (sorry for the low resolution) inside the ESRF main accelerator ring, where the radiation energy levels are actually quite low... as long as you aren't in a hutch when the beam shutter is open (gulp!), or crawling around on top of those yellow & black striped areas you see in the pano.

Last edited by panoguy; 05-15-2012 at 06:51 AM.
05-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Here is a (Flash) panorama I shot (sorry for the low resolution) inside the ESRF main accelerator ring, where the radiation energy levels are actually quite low... as long as you aren't in a hutch when the beam shutter is open (gulp!)
Here is a report of an engineer who accidentally had his head inside an accelerator while the beam was hot. What Happens When You Stick Your Head Into a Particle Accelerator. Oh, those wild Russians! Don't try this at home, kids
05-15-2012, 05:49 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Here is a report of an engineer who accidentally had his head inside an accelerator while the beam was hot. What Happens When You Stick Your Head Into a Particle Accelerator. Oh, those wild Russians! Don't try this at home, kids
Now I hear Yakov Smirnoff's voice saying "Safety is almost top priority!"
05-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

My mates Landrover has a similar thing in the back of it, it's parked up on the side of the road most nights. He X rays welds on pipelines and drives all over the country with it.
05-17-2012, 06:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Now I hear Yakov Smirnoff's voice saying "Safety is almost top priority!"
"In soviet Russia, particle accelerates you!" =D

Pat
05-17-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well, this explains E100VS.