Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2012, 09:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And now for something completely different..

Who are your heroes and how do they effect your political views?
These guys are a few of mine.
Photos: Warrior Games 2012 ? Denver Post Photos, Video | Denver Post Photos, Video

05-15-2012, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I admire those men and admire your feeling the way you feel, but if we really cared for our men and women of the military, we should never have sent them into 2 illegal wars that have produced very little, if anything as far as a positive.

Jason
05-16-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Jason. I in part agree with you on that.
Regardless of the pros and cons of Iraq & Afgahnistan these guys were there doing their job. They and all the others who were and are there deserve 110% support from the US people and government. Upcoming DOD budget cuts may seriously impact the Wounded Warriors program. As it is now I know of one of these guys who quallified to a major cycling event competing against non handicapped riders and could not get backing to go due to budget.
If tax dollars can pay Octamom to get a $600 Brazillian Blow Out hairdo or stimulus money is spent to buy new engines for a few politically connected rich guy's boats here in my home state , I think we should be able to afford this program. You can buy alot of cycling gear for what it cost in stimulus / tax dollars to study West African Willy Washing.

Back to the original question..... Anybody have heroes ?
If not is that part of what is wrong with our society today?
Why are the K hoes better known than their Olympian stepfather? Does having a big butt and doing a rapper in a hommade sex movie posted on the internet make one a hero in this modern world?
05-16-2012, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My dad was my hero, and he passed away many years ago.

Heroes are harder to find with all we tend to know about people today. A hero seems to imply a type of perfection that isn't there and wasn't there. It is also harder to accept a war hero in wars that make no sense. I do agree that we should take care of the wounded to the same or greater extent than ever.

05-16-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Obama certainly fits a definition of modern hero, from several perspectives. Note that many of the presidents we now revere, at their time were polarizing and their opponents thought them the worst possible...

Atributing perfection to being a hero I don't think had been part of the program in the past; heroes were all too human but overcame these and their circumstances to achieve something... as images for the rest of us, or to bring some new good to humanity.

I remember back in college the prof used Easy Rider as an illustration of the Hero's Journey...
05-16-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

This was started by an American so I'll post four American political heroes - see if you can get them.

Last edited by CWyatt; 03-27-2013 at 01:26 PM.
05-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Atributing perfection to being a hero I don't think had been part of the program in the past; heroes were all too human but overcame these and their circumstances to achieve something... as images for the rest of us, or to bring some new good to humanity..
Hmm, perfect, no, but I think it was unspoken but assumed that a "hero" had no major flaws. Once someone stepped into that status in the past, the press tended to keep what unflattering facts they knew of him secret. JFK, a hero to many, comes to mind.
05-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Hmm, perfect, no, but I think it was unspoken but assumed that a "hero" had no major flaws. Once someone stepped into that status in the past, the press tended to keep what unflattering facts they knew of him secret. JFK, a hero to many, comes to mind.
But that's an example of petit bourgeois values - pretend certain things do not exist, and set ourselves up to seeming perfect in all ways. While such heroes can be alluring, it isn't strictly necessary for a hero to be blemish free.

That idea is kind of like the idea that since all politicians are, well, politicians, it really doesn't matter who we vote for, or if we vote at all. Only the perfect politician is worthy of a vote.

Or that since government inevitably has screw ups (like all human endeavors), government is not worth it and should be downsized as much as possible.

---

Oh and I can identify the pictures: Jack Welsh, Dr. Oz, Woodie Allen, Kathy Lee.

05-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It is interesting along these lines to look at the Wiki entries for old war heroes like Alvin York or Audie Murphy. The listings still look a bit like they are offering these folks up for sainthood.
05-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

A few of my heroes

Last edited by ihasa; 05-17-2012 at 11:07 AM.
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

This topic is an interesting topic because the term HERO is rarely discussed in objective terms and the title "HERO" is used and abused continuously in daily conversation.
The first question that I would propose here is
QuoteQuote:
What do you mean by the word HERO?
I would propose, for example, that a person who was killed or maimed whilst trying to help a stranger is indeed a HERO. That, however, would not necessarily cover professional soldiers who were killed or maimed in pursuance of their Countries Political objectives (and yes I have been in the armed forces myself).

I believe that the designation HERO must have nothing to do with the world of Politics and that most real HERO's will never, ever be known or recognized.

I also believe that overuse of the word HERO discredits all the real HERO's.
05-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevewig Quote
This topic is an interesting topic because the term HERO is rarely discussed in objective terms and the title "HERO" is used and abused continuously in daily conversation.
The first question that I would propose here is

I would propose, for example, that a person who was killed or maimed whilst trying to help a stranger is indeed a HERO. That, however, would not necessarily cover professional soldiers who were killed or maimed in pursuance of their Countries Political objectives (and yes I have been in the armed forces myself).

I believe that the designation HERO must have nothing to do with the world of Politics and that most real HERO's will never, ever be known or recognized.

I also believe that overuse of the word HERO discredits all the real HERO's.
hero (hr) KEY

NOUN:
pl. heroes
In mythology and legend, a man, often of divine ancestry, who is endowed with great courage and strength, celebrated for his bold exploits, and favored by the gods.
A person noted for feats of courage or nobility of purpose, especially one who has risked or sacrificed his or her life: soldiers and nurses who were heroes in an unpopular war.
A person noted for special achievement in a particular field: the heroes of medicine. See Synonyms at celebrity.
The principal male character in a novel, poem, or dramatic presentation.
Chiefly New York City See submarine. See Regional Note at submarine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Earlier heroe, back-formation from heroes, heroes, from Latin hrs, pl. of hrs, from Greek; see ser-1 in Indo-European roots
Usage Note:
Many writers now consider hero, long restricted to men in the sense "a person noted for courageous action," to be a gender-neutral term. It is used to refer to admired women as well as men in respected publications, as in this quotation from The Washington Post: "Already a national hero in her economically troubled South Korea, . . . [Se Ri] Pak is packing galleries at [golf] tournaments stateside." The word heroine is still useful, however, in referring to the principal female character of a fictional work: Jane Eyre is a well-known literary heroine. Ninety-four percent of Usage Panelists accept this usage.

Thesaurus: synonyms for hero
05-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How bout this guy?
Attached Images

05-18-2012, 08:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photographic heroes, many of whom were quite political too.
05-19-2012, 04:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by seacapt Quote
Who are your heroes
Assuming we create a hero in our minds this is easy for me...

...Charles Darwin.

No one in the last 500 years has come even close to telling us how the world really works nor has had such a profound impact on human culture world wide. Anyone else is a distant second in my opinion.