Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Does photography steal souls?
Yes, a camera steals the subjects' souls. 921.43%
Yes, a camera steals the photographer's soul. 819.05%
No, nobody's souls are stolen by a camera. 1228.57%
No, souls are merely copied, not stolen. 511.90%
Yes, photographs of dead subjects steal dead souls. 511.90%
I don't know. 49.52%
I don't care. 614.29%
More research is needed. 1126.19%
This should not be researched. 1023.81%
This is a waste of time. 1740.48%
All of the above. 819.05%
None of the above. 819.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JFN Quote
Maybe another option should be added:

[ ] Photography vaporizes the intelligens of the subject.

that may explain Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian then apparently their brains are now the size of pistachios after all the photos

05-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I have one shot of the Devil Squirrel.....and if he knew I had it, my soul would be in great jeopardy. I'm not sure about stealing Squirrel souls....but you damn sure better not try to steal their peanuts!

Regards!

I think maybe it is time for me to go out and shoot......surely we can do better than this?
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
that may explain Paris Hilton and Kim Kardashian then apparently their brains are now the size of pistachios after all the photos

One gets the impression they already *had* some big holes before people turned cameras and such that way. Speaking of fame... it wouldn't be making it any easier to get em *back,* though: seems to me that's a prime case of how 'Western Culture' actually *does* think it owns and controls these much-photographed people. Without even any art involved.

Reminds me much about the 'power of names' ...speaking of my comments on 'Western Culture' in general: Most people living in Abrahamic culture think it's laughably-taboo, wrong, even fraudulent or deceptive for people to change their names: it's an extension of their belief that 'souls' have only one 'eternal' (or eternally-nonexistent) personality. They think they gain some 'power' over others by insisting on birth certificates and "Your real name," (note the existential insecurity around 'real' vs 'unreal,' ) ...as some kind of talisman of *control.* (In fact, it's an attempt to 'take face' by *insisting that people's soul or personality is immutably-helpless and controllable-by-them. They even try to 'control' what names people *are* given at birth, practically insisting 'I'm American, our names don't mean sh**,' as the movie character says. Which gets back to why disrespectful photography is at *least* an affront. Dig?)

You know, if Paris Hilton had some kind of spiritual awakening and took a Buddhist name or something, you'd hear the people who consume all those *images,* both mental and verbal, screaming like they were *robbed* by her of something...
What is that 'something?'

And you know the tone in which they'd say 'her real name' regardless of how she was living or being or changing *then.*

In fact, they probably made fun of her as a kid for having a 'real' name that 'sounds like' a hotel franchise to begin with. (Even if it actually had some meaning, it'd seem) Possibly being part of what led her to be *scandalaously-*filmed,* * interestingly enough. She's still there.... someone turned her into an 'icon of sin and scandal,' and as far as I know, she may still be playing that out. She certainly isn't someone we'd consider 'soulful,' ...rather, what... 'Empty.'

Do we even hear what we say? Maybe it means something.

It's not a question of 'forbidding' or judging names or images, as some cultures are taught to do, but it certainly would seem to be part of life.

Every culture has its anxieties around stuff like this: careful of mistaking your own for someone else's.

(And, no, atheists aren't immune: that's why many of them go around 'proving' how 'unafraid' they are of the very same sorts of things some others *try to scare them about.* And 'laughing' at everyone else who may just not experience the worlds the same way to begin with. )

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-16-2012 at 09:25 AM.
05-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
JFN
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
In fact, they probably made fun of her as a kid for having a 'real' name that 'sounds like' a hotel franchise to begin with.
Yeah, they should have named her Paris Hitler instead..

05-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
More questions:

If you shoot yourself in a mirror, do you steal/copy your own soul?
Do much-photographed buildings and mountains etc lose their souls?
If Paris Hilton used a camera, what would she do with her stolen souls?
Do automatic surveillance cameras automatically steal souls wholesale?
If a film or digital image are destroyed, where do the captured souls go?
05-16-2012, 05:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
If you shoot yourself in a mirror, do you steal/copy your own soul?
.You steal your soulmate

Do much-photographed buildings and mountains etc lose their souls?
Solely if they are worth photographing.

If Paris Hilton used a camera, what would she do with her stolen souls?
She uses then to build an artificial soul for herself, a la Voldemort.

Yes, soulsale.

If a film or digital image are destroyed, where do the captured souls go?
You may look up the answer in the last two episodes of Harry Potter with all those horcruxes.

Last edited by selar; 05-17-2012 at 04:06 AM.
05-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #22
Veteran Member

More questions:
No, but voting for the elected officials that mandate them in public areas does.

05-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Where is the option "lenses steal a photographer's soul"? I think a lot of us here would admit to that... LBA to infinity and beyond!
05-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Weber Quote
Where is the option "lenses steal a photographer's soul"?
Do pinholes only steal very small souls?

Then there was the dyslexic togger who stole some soles by mistake. Nikes, probably.
05-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #25
D0n
Banned

I stole this sole:
05-19-2012, 06:09 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So let me get this straight, a person's soul is taken when photons reflect off their body? They would be long soul-less well before anyone pointed a camera toward them.
05-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
So let me get this straight, a person's soul is taken when photons reflect off their body? They would be long soul-less well before anyone pointed a camera toward them.
Ah, now there's an interesting question: Assuming the existence of souls, and assuming that an image recording device can apprehend such souls, what is a possible mechanism for that? Is it rational, as by capturing reflected photons that would otherwise go free and return to the universal photon pool? Or is it mystical, employing some sort of similarity-magic, like vodun dolls? What other possible mechanisms?

Also, is intent or consciousness involved? Must the photographer INTEND to grab the soul? When we are photographed by surveillance cameras with no conscious control behind them, are souls also grabbed? If so, is everybody in an urban environment totally soulless by now?

The implications are frightening. Yes, cities are soulless places! Run! Run!
05-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I've went to a seminar given by a US Navy researcher investigating Soviet psychic technology, and the suspected truth behind the lies would probably surprise most of you. That being said, I'm not about to divulge the information, I'm simply not familiar enough with the technology to do the theories (and practices) justice. However I might add that the concepts involved only apply to film images. If the photographer is shooting digital, your soul is safe.
05-19-2012, 07:06 AM   #29
Pentaxian

With numerous threads always running about photographers not being fairly compensated for their work, I think we have stumbled on a solution. Since I have captured your soul, I will sell it back to you.
05-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
With numerous threads always running about photographers not being fairly compensated for their work, I think we have stumbled on a solution. Since I have captured your soul, I will sell it back to you.
First you'd have to make a compelling case as to why I might want it back.