Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
what do you guys think?

hey guys im thinking on entering a photo comp and need to pick out 4 photos. im struggling to decide which 4 though. so for the last hour ive been sorting through my photos and have come up with 19 of which i think are good enough to enter. just wondering which 4 you guys would pick (if any)

admin feel free to move this thread as i am unsure where to post

here is the link to my flickr where i have organised the 19 into one set

thanks in advance

comp - a set on Flickr

05-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Well, no-one else has made any comments, so I'll try to help. I don't want to appear rude – I really am trying to be constructive here, but I'm not sure that any of them are competition quality other than maybe the tree, which I like alot. Many of the others need to be re-cropped. For instance Pen-y-Fan waterfall has an irritating strip of white sky at the top which takes the eye away from the waterfall. Crop back to the edge of the bright green grass in the mid-ground and you have an image to work on, although its still rather flat. Landscapes don't always need sky. The bluebell woods have distracting out-of-focus foregrounds and/or blown highlights. This is a very overdone subject so needs to be spot on if it is to stand out. I'm not sure if any of the sunset is sharp - the blurring on the bird gives the game away. The walkway in the cave shot is unfortunate and the out of focus/over exposed top spoils it. Again, recrop, taking away the bright edge to the picture which takes the eye away from the main scene. 2692 is exposed for the sky with no recovery for the tree, which makes it a dull picture. A couple of the shots of Ystrefellte have very bad flare. 2 088 either needs work on the left hand side, or cropped back to the falls.337 is the best of that group. Ring of Steall is nicely exposed, but is rather lost in space. There is no foreground to speak of and the horizon is half-way up, so there it's not showing off the sky either. Puting the horizon at the centre can work with a simple composition but in this case I think I would take some off the bottom as there isn't much going on there. With the lambs it looks as though the focus has missed. Very shallow depth of field, but the grass just behind them seems to be the sharpest. The ewe and lamb have burned-out highlights and some odd bokeh going on, although its a nice composition.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but asking for a second opinion is a good thing - it's very easy to get attached to pictures you take where other people might not see the attraction. It doesn't mean they are right, of course, but it they are the judges...

Keep at it - I've been trying for over 30 years and still haven't got there!
05-21-2012, 06:34 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback! I don't think your being harsh I think your being constructive. With the flare on the waterfall one of my friends said it adds a nice effect that is why I put it in any tips on shooting bluebells it's tricky to get them in focus thanks again for your feedback