Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lens Cleaning Estimate

So I contacted my local camera repair shop to get an estimate for cleaning my Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/2 that I had recently acquired.

Here's what I sent them:

Customer Name Chris Trevino
Status Level
Amateur
Type of Equipment Lens
Manufacturer
Ricoh
Model Name and # Rikenon P 50mm f/2
Comments
I recently acquired this lens at a Yard Sale.

I've cleaned the outside to the best of my ability but it seems as if there is some dust on the inside as well. I can not tell if some of the things I can see in it are scratches or not. They do not hurt the image quality any as far as I can tell.

What is the cost of the cleaning?

They replied the next day and I was amused by the reply.

Here's what they told me:

This lens is not worth putting much money into. Take it apart and clean the internal optics is $35.00. Note: We can't clean between sealed elements.

Granted I paid $5 for this lens, who are they to judge it's value to me? I like the lens. It has a different DoF and it is sharper than my Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 I really don't think their 1st sentence was necessary. They could have just told me the price and that they can not clean between sealed elements and left it at that. Do you think they would have replied to me different if I had given them my status level as Professional instead of Amateur?

Obviously if I had the right tools for cleaning lenses I would just do it myself. I don't so I pay other people to do it just as I used to do with Sensor Cleaning before I found the right kits for cleaning it myself.

Just thought I would share. Pentax is so under appreciated =/

05-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would take their advice and move on
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
I just can't do that. I mean in the end it's my money so they should just take it and clean the lens.

Also, as I said, I like the lens so why wouldn't it be a worthwhile investment to have it cleaned properly?

It's $35 that is easily earned back during the use of the lens.
05-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I think they said the right thing. What they are really telling you is that you can go buy a perfect copy of the lens for less than $35, so why would you want us to rob you? That, and the fact the removing internal dust from a lens is totally unnecessary and accomplishes nothing, I applaud their response. That's called ethical behavior, and you are treating it as the opposite.

05-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Send Eric an email and ask him if he will clean it for you. bet he will, and reply graciously, as well.
05-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi, Chris
Curing small amounts of dust might be worse than the complaint.
Suggestions:
First remove the Ricoh pin if you are using a Pentax dslr
Take a loupe and look at the rear glass surface
If any dust , first preference is use of a blower
Second preference (if candle wax etc - I'm not joking) get a wet lens cleaner.
At same time gently clean the front glass if the blower is not enough
Now focus your dslr at infinity and take a shot of the blue cloudless Michigan sky.
Any blobs on your monitor image would most likely be sensor dust- to be handled appropriately

Post some shots with the Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/2 , I have some Rikenon but not that one.
05-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #7

Original Poster
I never said they were wrong, I just said I was amused and could have done without the first line. I agree it was ethical behavior and I appreciate their honesty.

You said I could buy one in perfect condition for less than $35 and you are probably right, but since I only paid $5 for it I already have it why would spending a little to make sure it was clean matter? I treat all my gear the same, doesn't matter if it cost me $5 or $500 I try to take care of it just the same.

I also mentioned that the dust was not hurting the image quality, I know it's there though so it annoys me.

05-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't see that there reply is out of line. They don't know what you paid for the lens, and they don't know if you have received any other estimates for the cleaning. As far as I know, most older lenses pick up a bit of dust over time, and it usually doesn't affect the image quality. As such, it generally gets left as is. So maybe the inquiry seemed strange to them as most wouldn't bother to clean out the lens. I don't know what is involved in cleaning a lens, and I don't know how often it goes wrong - I can easily see that if I tried to do it the lens would end up worse off than it started. So for me, NOT CLEANING would be the better way to care for my gear.