Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 12:48 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Update Number *Seven* of my Afghan Deployment

CONTENT REMOVED

Not anymore

Alex Jansen Photography | Afghan Deployment Series, Update Seven

A link to the index of the published updates (as they are being re-uploaded in sequential order) can be found at the above update.

-Heie

I won't be making any other "bumps" to this thread, I just wanted to update the initial post and let those who were subscribed to this be made aware.

Last edited by Heie; 01-22-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: CONTENT REMOVED
05-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #2

I just went through your whole series and the photos and stories you're sharing are wonderful. Stay safe and keep up the good work.
05-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like to thank you for these photos you have posted and the whole series so far.

These photos allow me to see a little of what my own country's troops went through when they were posted there.

Thank you and please keep safe.

The photo of the Afghan, U.S. & Polish solders all together reminds me of the fact that most of the world's population get along OK, it's just all the leaders that need their heads knocking together.

Last edited by mtansley; 05-25-2012 at 04:57 PM.
05-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank-you.

05-25-2012, 07:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Alex, Thanks for another great series of the everyday life of a soldier. I like #3 and the fact you were all invited into the Afgan officer's personal space, a sign of intimacy and respect. Congratulations! Be safe, looking forward to the next update and pics...Cliff
05-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Where's the Jesus Nut on the last pic?
05-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very interesting, and nice photography.

Thanks for sharing!

05-28-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm amazed at how you did the timing for shot #14 in this series. How did you do it? I don't think my eyes can coordinate with my hands fast enough to know when to press the shutter with that kind of fast stuff...
05-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

G'Day again from Australia.
As usual, TERRIFIC images.
Stay Safe, Pickles.
05-28-2012, 10:39 PM   #10

Thanks. And that's not just for the pictures and updates.
05-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Love the first shot
06-01-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hey everyone! Sorry about not getting back to you guys in a timely manner, we kinda had a bit of a hiccup (see the forthcoming Update Eight for details )

QuoteOriginally posted by br.davidson Quote
I just went through your whole series and the photos and stories you're sharing are wonderful. Stay safe and keep up the good work.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate the compliments!

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I would like to thank you for these photos you have posted and the whole series so far. These photos allow me to see a little of what my own country's troops went through when they were posted there. Thank you and please keep safe. The photo of the Afghan, U.S. & Polish solders all together reminds me of the fact that most of the world's population get along OK, it's just all the leaders that need their heads knocking together.
Thank you! It is my mission to share my experience with whoever cares to read about it in an as uncensored (save for classified material) manner as possible.

QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Thank-you.
Thank YOU!

QuoteOriginally posted by usn ret Quote
Alex, Thanks for another great series of the everyday life of a soldier. I like #3 and the fact you were all invited into the Afgan officer's personal space, a sign of intimacy and respect. Congratulations! Be safe, looking forward to the next update and pics...Cliff
Yes, it is a significant sign of intimacy and respect. They are an extremely hospitable people that share a proclivity for offering tea no matter what the time of day or level of heatwave occurring outside

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Where's the Jesus Nut on the last pic?
Ha...like I said - I posted it for the gear heads lol

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Very interesting, and nice photography. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed!

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I'm amazed at how you did the timing for shot #14 in this series. How did you do it? I don't think my eyes can coordinate with my hands fast enough to know when to press the shutter with that kind of fast stuff...
Thank you! But I would be lying if I claimed to be that good - it's one of the few times that I use my "high continuous shooting" mode. I had him count to three, and when he got to two, I just held the shutter down until after he fired. Thanks to the awesome buffer upgrade in the K-5, it was a breeze (although it took a few tries because he was counting in Dari ) Try it sometime!

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
G'Day again from Australia. As usual, TERRIFIC images. Stay Safe, Pickles.
Thanks, Pickles!

QuoteOriginally posted by Frank B Quote
Thanks. And that's not just for the pictures and updates.
Thank you very much - much appreciated

QuoteOriginally posted by rick79 Quote
Love the first shot
Thanks! I really need to redo it - I've just been extremely busy lately.

Thanks again all! Like I said, check for Update *Eight* - it'll burn the competition for most heated update! (hehe love puns!)

-Heie
06-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Stay safe as always. Those IED's are some nasty shit.
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Stay safe as always. Those IED's are some nasty shit.
Yep - it's my job to train and mentor the Afghans to find and clear them from the roads...

-Heie
06-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've to say that the more you take picture, the better you get

Very nice series to see. Very interesting for those you will probably never go on the field.

Keep going, Stay safe, you're doing great out there.

Cheers !