Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Yeah, I saw that this morning. That is totally gruesome. Actually we've had a few serial killers from here. I guess they like the warm weather or something. It's not the Dahmers or the Bundy's I worry about. For all they're all over the media they're still a fairly unusual thing. If I can't head into my local drug or grocery store, without worrying that I'm going to get shot or car jacked in broad daylight there's something very wrong happening in this town. Used to be you knew your neighbors. Now they come and go so much you're lucky if you even know their names....

All my geekier- friends are on about the zombieness of people ripping their own guts out and eating people's brains. I haven't quite tied my hair back yet, but, all of a sudden I seem to be the *actually* 'zombie'-prepared one. But that's mostly just situation normal, except with less arthritis than usual.

There is apparently some bad bad stuff out of Florida and points near traffic ports of bad stuff, though. This stuff's popping up all over of a sudden.

That probably means don't take candy or two questions about brains or entrails in like Baltimore or maybe New Haven. Certainly not the North Shore or Galveston. New Orleans can surely cope.

Or don't expect the usual levels of bug**** to stage down. Just from the Net, it's like Huggy Bear from Starsky and Hutch: 'Bad stuff going around the street..'

From where I'm sitting, it's rumor, but there's too much of it to discount:some are saying it's acid and crack, I wouldn't be stunned if it had something to do with like a Prozac, though.

And, speaking of zombies... It's a near miss, but it's not me:

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 05-31-2012 at 07:04 PM.
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Around here it's loose dogs and unlicensed ATVs (trail scooters). A few miles away it's meth labs. And I complain of the boredom...
06-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #18
Banned

Photos: Albums
Visit the site...

Security Cameras | Video Security Camera System | CCTV Video Surveillance Systems

For just a few hundred dollar (even less than two hundred for starters) one can add either very obvious cameras to their property; or camers that almost nobody could ever practically find. Then submit the results to law enforcement or to a judge. If the local law enforcement ignores it; simply go up the chain of command; then to city, then to county, then to state, etc... One is able to even publish results of actions caught on camera (even name names) as long as it is an adult.

Nobody in the world can get within two hundred meters of my house in literally any lighting condition without being recorded.
06-01-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the info, but the park I live in wouldn't permit that. The house isn't the issue actually. I live in a gated mobile home community. I have a 1970's era mobile home, 2 br. Inside the gates it's pretty quiet. It's outside our gates that's getting hellish...

06-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Nobody in the world can get within two hundred meters of my house in literally any lighting condition without being recorded.
If driven by motion detectors, such a system would overload here. Besides the loose dogs and kids, I'd get many shots of deer, turkeys, and falling branches. And a morbidly obese teen racing his ATV along the property line.
06-03-2012, 08:01 AM   #21
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Thanks for the info, but the park I live in wouldn't permit that
Depending upon the exact locality; in america... Either a magistrate (which technically in most areas is a "type of" judge, or a (real) elected (or) career judge can easily override. Or if worse comes to worse; council.

But when it comes to safety (outside of any gun issue) then one is in fact allowed to have cameras outside. As to the size and all of the cameras it just depends. Also noting one could install a camera small enough that it would very likely never be noticed. One could also either already purchase a concealed camera or even have one made.

Here's an example of a lower priced version. Also noting; worth checking out the site - there's very impressive versions of this on there.

Also Google this one;preferably on street view...

There is a Fleetwood mobile home in a type of park on Riverine Drive, 25213 - that does in fact have have eight ourdoor cameras - see if you can spot the five of then that "technically should be" in the street level shots.

Wired Day/Night Electrical Box Hidden Camera

As far as the motion capture aspect...

I have one of my cameras basically set up along a road. It reads and stores each and every license plate that drives by - again in any lighting and technically any speed the camera can handle. I can run sixteen of the highest def cameras and still not get anywhee near filling up even a smaller hard-drive after two months.
06-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
I also have a few cams set up... living in a condo it's pretty easy to cover all entry points to my unit (plus a wireless cam in the common garage pointing at my parking spot). They are all tied in to a PC with a capture card and BlueIris surveillance software which does a great job motion detecting all my cams, recording, sending alerts to my iPhone and allowing me to monitor all cams and recordings from my iphone/ipad/notebook anywhere around the world if needed.

Some say it's paranoia, I call it cheap insurance... it helps me sleep at night when I am away from home (which I am a lot). The technology is available and it's dirt cheap... so why not use it?

Pat

06-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Mag - I'm so sad but my neighborhood is going to poop, too.
I moved in long ago when it was all old folks, they died off and now it's families. That is fine but the punk teenagers have no respect or discipline.
Most of the businesses on the busy street nearby are deserted and crime is waaaay up. In fact some guy tore my downspout off my house at 10:30pm while I was asleep! (I reported him, my cop neighbor found him - as he ripped his off, too!).
I want to move soooo badly but fear I can't afford it - my house has been up for sale for a couple years. Sigh. NOW WHAT? See, that's my question.
06-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #24
Banned

My place in somewhat rural West Virginia (but still about fifteen minutes from center of capitol city) is almost like Fort Knox.

Four dogs - two in visible fence - two outside of visible fence, but one of those under-the-ground electric types fences. I'm able to target shoot on my own property; so I almost invite over the entire chapter of the NRA about once a month. It's always nice to hear the shotguns and even a 50cal - thud.

Wose than the dogs btw is actually trying to outrun one donkey. No joke he get a hold of you - it would be worse than all four dogs combined
06-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Live in a city of 60000 and feel safe all the time. At least twice a month forget to lock the front door at night and will leave the back door unlocked when we go for walks. No fence, only fence posts up right now. In the past I have forgotten to not only lock the convertible but to put up the windows and the roof and it was parked on the street. Theafs do occur and in the past decade or so we have had 6 murders (mostly by family members). I do live in one of if not the worse neighbourhoods in the city and some will not come here because of fear but that is mostly just there are people walking on sidewalks and the some of the houses are run down. No longer have my fierce Brittany Spaniel guard dogs or the three attack cats. I feel perfectly safe anywhere in the city I live. No guns either. Guess I am saying is that not all places are like that, and this is not a rich suburb but the only large centre in the region.

Last month was in New Orleans and although never felt unsafe but used more cauction than I would anywhere I have been in Canada. Never seen areas like some there anywhere either. It must be very frustrating and maddening not to feel safe where you live, especially if you are one who is not easily frightented. The solution is beyond what any one person can do and is for a different forum. Magkelly, good luck ; other than that I do not know what to say or what I would do in your situation.
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
Inactive Account

An eldery couple I know on the next street were getting ready to go somewhere; he was fiddling in the front yard and she was upstairs drying her hair. Someone came in through their side door and ransacked the diningroom.

A woman I know not far but in a better neighborhood had her elderly mother in the car idling in their drive for a moment; a guy jumped in to steal the car but was surprised to see the older lady in the passenger seat. This was in the middle of the day. I feel like "they" are always lurking around and I don't let my guard down.

My friend on the next street had her living room window busted by a rock this week. Her husband went outside with his unloaded shotgun, just to cock the gun. Teenagers stopped and took pics of him. Really? They are so brazen.

I don't take the garbage out without locking the door behind me; I don't move my car from the street to the drive without locking the door.
I know - sounds crazy but no way I'd chance it.
Then again there have been times I thought the back door was locked and it wasn't (not like me at all).
Just so tired of this being my way of life.
06-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I think it is everywhere, a sign of the times. I am not sure anywhere is safe enough anymore.
You're right. Nowhere is entirely safe.

However, places like Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong are remarkably safe.

All 1st world and wealthy, but you usually have to look for trouble to find it.

I do think the rest of the world will very soon become much safer. There will be wireless brooches/rings/whatever that video and audio record proceedings at any time.

"Hey buddy, you're on candid camera... and it's being transmitted right now. How much further do you want to take this?"

It's around the corner, and will decrease street crime in a big way.
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #28
Inactive Account

The U.S. just isn't that safe - sad to say. Would love to have neighborhood video units but they're not implemented. Some neighborhood crime watches have to buy and monitor their own.
The only safe thing I can do it move - and trying to afford that is another matter.
So much for life in these united states.
06-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #29
Inactive Account

tee hee Rio with the obese teens. Ya, we have a lot of meth labs in Akron Ohio
06-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by erielake Quote
The U.S. just isn't that safe - sad to say.
I'm looking at a 2008 book [TOP 10 GUIDES FOR MEN] using UN data, listing Top 10 Countries With The Highest Reported Crime Rates. (Reported crimes per 100,000 population.) They were:

1 Dominica - 11,382
2 New Zealand - 10,588
3 Finland - 10,153
4 Denmark - 9,283
5 Chile - 8,823
6 UK - 8,555
7 Montserrat - 8,040
8 USA - 8,007
9 Netherlands - 7,958
10 South Africa - 7,719

Is a footnote: "An appearance in this list does not necessarily confirm these as the most crime-ridden countries, since the rate of reporting relates closely to such factors as confidence in local law-enforcement authorities. However, a rate of approximately 1,000 crimes per 100,000 population may be considered average, so those countries in the Top 10 are well above it."

So: Are all those Kiwis, Finns, and Danes really scofflaws, or do they just nark on each other a lot?
Closed Thread