Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Republican machine starts turning...

What Artur Davis is telling us - Right Turn - The Washington Post

QuoteQuote:
Former Democratic congressman Artur Davis writes on his blog:
As I told a reporter last week, this is not Bill Clinton’s Democratic Party . . . [I have described] growth as a deeper problem than exaggerated inequality; who wants to radically reform the way we educate our children; who despises identity politics and the practice of speaking for groups and not one national interest; who knows that our current course on entitlements will eventually break our solvency and cause us to break promises to our most vulnerable — that is, if we don’t start the hard work of fixing it.
On the specifics, I have regularly criticized an agenda that would punish businesses and job creators with more taxes just as they are trying to thrive again. I have taken issue with an administration that has lapsed into a bloc by bloc appeal to group grievances when the country is already too fractured: frankly, the symbolism of Barack Obama winning has not given us the substance of a united country. You have also seen me write that faith institutions should not be compelled to violate their teachings because faith is a freedom, too. You’ve read that in my view, the law can’t continue to favor one race over another in offering hard-earned slots in colleges: America has changed, and we are now diverse enough that we don’t need to accommodate a racial spoils system. And you know from these pages that I still think the way we have gone about mending the flaws in our health-care system is the wrong way—it goes further than we need and costs more than we can bear.
Now, that’s one searing indictment of the modern Democratic Party, which has become increasingly anti-free markets under President Obama and a prisoner of its constituent groups, which demand more political goodies each year.

You’d think the media would be buzzing about the extremism of the Democratic Party? You’d think there would be panels assembled and Charlie Rose-hosted round tables bemoaning the polarization of the political scene? Oh, no. Birds chirp. Walk along, nothing to see here.
Hmmm, lets see:
"who knows that our current course on entitlements will eventually break our solvency and cause us to break promises to our most vulnerable " - So we break them now rather than later, since we will anyway, and save money in the bargain.

"frankly, the symbolism of Barack Obama winning has not given us the substance of a united country." mainly due to Republican obstruction and the usual Democrat unruliness...

"And you know from these pages that I still think the way we have gone about mending the flaws in our health-care system is the wrong way—it goes further than we need and costs more than we can bear" - the free market approach will solve this problem. Those wealthy enough or employed by large corporations will pay through the nose for insurance and be glad to do so, those poor or locked out due to pre-existing conditions won't be able to afford medical care. So more people will be ill and die; but that's how God always intended it. Once nobody can afford either insurance or medical care the providers will have no choice but to lower costs. Presto- a free market solution!

I apologize to any Republican die-hards here, but the rest of the above quote sounds to me like Soviet - Cuban short wave radio propaganda. Which probably means my preferred political speech sounds that way to you all.

05-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And here's an analysis of who actually votes and what that means:
Presidents and the Stock Market (^DJI)

QuoteQuote:
Yesterday, fellow Fool Morgan Housel came out with a brilliant piece on the correlation between the unemployment rate and the chances an incumbent (or his party) will be re-elected.

You would think that if a president has lowered unemployment rates, the chances for re-election would be high, and vice versa. Alas, Morgan cites evidence from statistician Nate Silver -- who culled evidence from as far back as 1912 -- to conclude: "There's virtually no correlation between the unemployment rate on Election Day and an incumbent's chance of winning."

Morgan is able to point out one possible reason for the weak correlation: "The average voter in the last two elections ... has not been representative of the broader economy. They've been in much better financial shape than the average American." In other words, unemployed people are less likely to head to the polls; their wealthier counterparts are far more likely to make their voices heard.

Knowing this, I think there's an even better and more accurate way to find a link between re-election and the economy: the behavior of the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEX: ^DJI ) . Take a look, and you'll see that as far back as the election of 1900, the movement of the index between Sept. 1 and Election Day has successfully predicted the winner almost 90% of the time, with gains working in favor of the incumbent party and losses favoring the challenger. (Years in which the opposite occurred are italicized.)

05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Davis of course goes right onto Fox
Former Dem Rep. Artur Davis Explains Why He Became A Republican | RealClearPolitics
05-31-2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Maybe they don't believe in government on the Federal level, but here's an argument that Republicans know how to govern, and Democrats don't
Articles: The Grand Theme of Governing
QuoteQuote:
How can Republicans clean Democrat clocks all over the country? All it will take is a simple message: Republicans can govern. Democrats can't.

Think of all the contrasts available between adroit Republican governors and flailing Democratic ones. For one, the surreal spectacle of Wisconsin Democrats focusing resources on their third election campaign since the 2010 election to defeat Scott Walker's collective bargaining reform, even when that reform is no longer a real issue, shows that Democrats are in election mode every moment of every year.

This difference has shown up elsewhere in state and local government. Rudy Giuliani may not have been a conservative, but as Mayor of New York, he was a courageous and effective leader, which gained him admiration from conservatives. The contrast between Giuliani and Dinkins, the hapless Democrat cipher who preceded him, is stark.

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie is also not conservative, but he is an honest and courageous executive in the spirit of Giuliani. The contrast between Christie and Jon Corzine, his Democrat predecessor who has managed to mislay one billion dollars of investors' money, is stunning.

In 2005, when Hurricane Katrina blasted the states around the Gulf of Mexico, Democrat Governor Blanco of Louisiana engaged in crass political maneuvering against her rival Democrat Mayor Negin of New Orleans. Republican Governor Barbour, meanwhile, in neighboring Mississippi, acted decisively and effectively to protect his fellow Mississippians.

Two years ago, when the BP oil spill was threatening the livelihood and safety of Americans, Obama was that nervous skinny man who spouted meaningless rhetoric, while Republican Governor Jindal was the effective executive who inspired Louisianans with his quick actions to minimize the damage.

Closed Thread